Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-11-2011, 08:09 PM

I lucked into a FW when I answered an ad in our local paper "I am selling the old stuff from my mother's house." The owner had passed away and her son did a silent auction and I bid $51 on a 1946 Black FW, with the table, and stool, including all the original attachments and books. Nobody else bid. I nearly fainted when he called and said I got it. I also bid and got two other machines, a treadle and a 70's Kenmore for $10 that does nice work as well. I only bid $20 on the treadle (with original manual) to try to get the puzzle box of attachments from the drawer, along with that original book.
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Glenn
I am going to get a new belt for it from the singer shop in the Am but other than that I can't find anything wrong with it. It does need a little cleaning . I am going to take it camping in the RV to piece quilts in the evening. Glenn
I am soooooo jealous!

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-133177.jpe  
Old 02-11-2011, 08:18 PM

Today, I bought an adorable little Singer cabinet from Craigslist :-D. When I bought my 201-2 last week, it came with a cabinet but this cabinet, that I bought today, also fits with the 201-2 and I prefer the vintage look of it compared with the modern-ness of the other cabinet.

How do I get the wires leading from the machine (for the foot and the plug) through the hole under the handwheel? I know there must be a way to do it :?:

New cabinet--my 201-2 fits in it perfectly!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]133484[/ATTACH]

Behind the doors. There are 3 "secret" doors in the back of the space
[ATTACH=CONFIG]133485[/ATTACH]

"Secret" doors are open
[ATTACH=CONFIG]133486[/ATTACH]

These attachments came with the cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]133487[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-133479.jpe   attachment-133480.jpe   attachment-133481.jpe   attachment-133482.jpe  
Old 02-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
I lucked into a FW when I answered an ad in our local paper "I am selling the old stuff from my mother's house." The owner had passed away and her son did a silent auction and I bid $51 on a 1946 Black FW, with the table, and stool, including all the original attachments and books. Nobody else bid. I nearly fainted when he called and said I got it.
WOWZA!!! What a deal!!!!! :thumbup:
Old 02-11-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
I lucked into a FW when I answered an ad in our local paper "I am selling the old stuff from my mother's house." The owner had passed away and her son did a silent auction and I bid $51 on a 1946 Black FW, with the table, and stool, including all the original attachments and books. Nobody else bid. I nearly fainted when he called and said I got it.
WOWZA!!! What a deal!!!!! :thumbup:
Thank you. I thought so too, and found out later just how good. I had no idea when I bid. I like your new cabinet, but no clue about the wiring thing. Seems like someone else asked earlier, and I read the whole thing so cannot swear where, and there was a solution, so I am sure you will hear something do-able.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM

How do I get the wires leading from the machine (for the foot and the plug) through the hole under the handwheel? I know there must be a way to do it :?:
If I recall correctly, what the solution given was to open up the foot pedal, unfasten the wires there, pull out or put the cord through the hole in the cabinet & then re-assemble the wiring in the foot pedal. May want to mark the wires somehow so you know which one disconnected from where and can put them back the same. (Pieces of masking or painters tape with "a" "b" or something like that written on it would work)
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM

Today, I bought an adorable little Singer cabinet from Craigslist :-D. When I bought my 201-2 last week, it came with a cabinet but this cabinet, that I bought today, also fits with the 201-2 and I prefer the vintage look of it compared with the modern-ness of the other cabinet.

A very desirable E-cabinet!! I have a 319 in mine.
To get the wires through the hole in the cabinet, you must take them loose from the receptacle. If the cord is in good shape, it should still have the connectors on the ends and as long as you remember which is wire goes to which pin, you should have no problem. (I mark them with a piece of tape.)
Old 02-11-2011, 08:42 PM

I got a new vintage machine today. It is an 1936 electrical model singer, I'm not sure on the exact model number. The serial number is JB 536014. The power works, but the motor doesn't turn the wheel very well. I suspect because the previous owner used the wrong oil, and too much of it. Is taking it apart and cleaning it the only thing that will help with that? The belt is in good shape so I don't think that's the problem. I got it for $30 since the owner was moving and didn't want to take it along.

Here's a photo.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-133673.jpe  
Old 02-11-2011, 08:46 PM

I lucked into a FW when I answered an ad in our local paper "I am selling the old stuff from my mother's house." The owner had passed away and her son did a silent auction and I bid $51 on a 1946 Black FW, with the table, and stool, including all the original attachments and books. Nobody else bid. I nearly fainted when he called and said I got it. I also bid and got two other machines, a treadle and a 70's Kenmore for $10 that does nice work as well. I only bid $20 on the treadle (with original manual) to try to get the puzzle box of attachments from the drawer, along with that original book.
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Glenn
I am going to get a new belt for it from the singer shop in the Am but other than that I can't find anything wrong with it. It does need a little cleaning . I am going to take it camping in the RV to piece quilts in the evening. Glenn
I am soooooo jealous!

Nancy
NICE! Congrats. As I say, the machines find us. Enjoy your wonderful new vintage machine!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:48 PM

I'm enjoying looking at everyone's new vintage machines. Enjoy!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:50 PM

Your cabinet looks like a "Mrs. Potts". Very nice!