Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts

Thanks. I have changed my needle to a new one. Will check bobbin thread and needle threading. About the barbed foot: Did you replace it or smooth out the barb? The thread isn't cut unless I'm trying to sew in reverse.
I got rid of that foot as it didn't fit right -- warped or something. If you can find the barb, you might be able to sand it out.

Nancy
Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 PM

[quote=Shemjo]I got caught up in the frenzy and brought home a Lotus treadle this afternoon. It has been stored and apparently was in a house with smokers before that. I have a big cleaning job ahead for myself. No attachments, and a rough cabinet with a missing drawer pull, but the decals look pretty good. I traveled 35 miles there and spent $35 on it. quote]

With some elbow grease, you will have a nice machine. Congrats!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:41 PM

At a guild bee get together today I spied a tan Singer 500a sitting in with some vacuum cleaner hoses looking pretty lonely. It has the manual, lots of extras. Tomorrow I'm going to pick it up. Don't know yet whether I'll keep it or not, but it needs a home.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Here is a tan 301 near Topeka, KS at a good price.
http://topeka.craigslist.org/atq/2209632615.html
That is a much better price. I did not know that the 301 took cams? I thought it was just like a big sister to the FW with only forward, reverse, and maybe a zig zag?

Nancy
Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
That machine really looks nice, and it is the long bed. I think the 301 is going up in price as a very desirable machine for classes, next to the FW. Those suitcases are just too funny!
I think that the 301 only does forward, backward, and maybe a zig zag? Don't know for sure, but I don't think they do any decorative stitches? Sharon, what do they do? Nancy
Well... mine came with a zig zag attachment that has cams. Haven't tried it yet.

Hey, has anybody that has a 301, ever tried to use the slant shank Monogrammer tool that was for the ??? touch and sew/fashion slant shank machines? There's a monogrammer sitting at goodwill down here for $8. ???? Will it work?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:48 PM

At a guild bee get together today I spied a tan Singer 500a sitting in with some vacuum cleaner hoses looking pretty lonely. It has the manual, lots of extras. Tomorrow I'm going to pick it up. Don't know yet whether I'll keep it or not, but it needs a home.
Wow! That's great! Hum, if it turns out you don't want it... er... you could send it to me! lol! <hand raised in the air, politely of course....> I'm sure there's a few more on here that would make a 'home' for a Rocketeer... Gosh, you have the eagle eye to spot machines!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
I got caught up in the frenzy and brought home a Lotus treadle this afternoon. It has been stored and apparently was in a house with smokers before that. I have a big cleaning job ahead for myself. No attachments, and a rough cabinet with a missing drawer pull, but the decals look pretty good. I traveled 35 miles there and spent $35 on it. When I checked later, there was another lotus on CL for $150, so I feel a little vindicated!
Now I need to find a place to put it in the house! Why didn't I think of that before I went "looking"?
Shemjo, that is a Singer Model 27 with the Sphinx decals not a Lotus. The decals look really nice and should clean up very nice. Be very careful cleaning on the decals! Your cabinet looks pretty good too. You did very well -- that is a very nice machine!

Nancy
Old 02-15-2011, 03:52 PM

[quote=Cindy Lou Who]
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by Glenn
I am happy for those who love their featherweights. I'd rather find a 99 or a 301 for a lightweight portable, myself.
Sewbizgirl,
The 99 weighs a ton!! The 301 I think is only around 20 lbs but I would consider the 99 too heavy to lug around and use as a class machine.
Cindy
I'm with you, Cindy.... The 99 is a 3/4 sized machine, but heavy iron. The 301 is a full sized machine, but only 16lbs. Aluminum deck, I think. It's been mentioned here on this thread before...

Oh.. and another thing... I know those suitcase cases look 'too cute'... but um... they smell, you know. That's what they called 'grass mat' or something like that, and it just sort of smells. I like ???'s idea/advice which was to pop the 301 into a padded, rolling machine case and go. Then you have it on wheels, with a luggage/telescoping handle! <yeah, man... >
Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Well... mine came with a zig zag attachment that has cams. Haven't tried it yet.

Hey, has anybody that has a 301, ever tried to use the slant shank Monogrammer tool that was for the ??? touch and sew/fashion slant shank machines? There's a monogrammer sitting at goodwill down here for $8. ???? Will it work?
I have that monogrammer for my Rocketeer 501a and I love it! I have no idea if it would work on the 301? Is the 301 a slant shank machine? I doubt it works unless the 301 is a slant shank machine.

Anyway, you answered my question about the 301 using cams! I didn't think it was like the Rocketeer, which has to have cams to work -- makes more sense to me now that you said the cams are for the buttonholer!

Nancy
Old 02-15-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Wow! That's great! Hum, if it turns out you don't want it... er... you could send it to me! lol! <hand raised in the air, politely of course....> I'm sure there's a few more on here that would make a 'home' for a Rocketeer... Gosh, you have the eagle eye to spot machines!
It wasn't free, but he quickly came down $70. Made the rounds of several thrift stores, but nothing.