Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-17-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
You need to adjust the lower tension if the thread is sitting on top of the material. There will be a small screw that you will need to adjust. but only tighten it a 1/4 turn each time you do it.

Billy

Originally Posted by KatFish
yes it working fine. Just little or no tension when I sew. The tread just sets on top of the fabric. It's so loose that when I pull it out of the machine to cut the tread, it all pulls out.
Thanks! I'll try that. I'm always afraid to adjust anything because I have this real fear that I will mess something up so bad, it can't be fixed.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 PM

removed by author
Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Back finally.. What a nite.. It seems the consensus is my newest machine is a 101, eh? There is a book with it. I haven't compared it yet. Been a crazy night! I don't know if the book is the same as the machine..will look at it tomorrow. Thanks for all the input. It is really appreciated!
I just quickly looked at the book...it said 201. I'm too tired to compare it to the machine at this point. Save it for the morning..
I do ................................................. I GOOFED ON THIS ONE and cant find delete..OOPS so I just updated it
Old 02-17-2011, 08:29 PM

Back finally.. What a nite.. It seems the consensus is my newest machine is a 101, eh? There is a book with it. I haven't compared it yet. Been a crazy night! I don't know if the book is the same as the machine..will look at it tomorrow. Thanks for all the input. It is really appreciated!
I just quickly looked at the book...it said 201. I'm too tired to compare it to the machine at this point. Save it for the morning..
Trust me its a 101!!

Billy
LOL Delete my above one.. I ended up copying myself...
this is correct copy

I do trust you !
Old 02-17-2011, 08:31 PM

Here's the webshots link to my Singer 201k, you can see that it looks quite different from your 101.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719NuQvWC
Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 PM

You need to adjust the lower tension if the thread is sitting on top of the material. There will be a small screw that you will need to adjust. but only tighten it a 1/4 turn each time you do it.

Billy

yes it working fine. Just little or no tension when I sew. The tread just sets on top of the fabric. It's so loose that when I pull it out of the machine to cut the tread, it all pulls out.
Thanks! I'll try that. I'm always afraid to adjust anything because I have this real fear that I will mess something up so bad, it can't be fixed.
Did you get the tension fixed?

When things like this happen to me, I go through a quick check list.
I re-thread with the lever up so that the tension is open (many a times I have forgotten to do this).
I take out the bobbin, insert it correctly.
Make sure the thread is threaded through the needle in the correct direction. This gets real fun for me when I'm switching around on machines during one project. That is where the manuals come in handy, a reminder notice.
Different fabrics and thicknesses require adjustments,
My oldest machine, 66-1, only likes cheap threads.
And sometimes the machine just needs to be oiled.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Ahh.... and speaking of odd machines...

I ran across a Singer 328k (made in great britian). Tan in cabinet, uses cams. No accessories, books, or anything included in it. The thrift store wanted $40 for it. Should I consider getting this? It has a hidden belt drive, it looks like. The cabinet is so 50's with only a little side pull out holding almost nothing. ??? Good machine? Or no?
I have one in the Studio but I havent had time to play with it yet. So no opinion here but I have a buddy that loves his 328.

Billy
Billy, by chance would your friend only use heavier fabric with that machine? Like sewing for the bikes or the interior for the cars?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Here's the webshots link to my Singer 201k, you can see that it looks quite different from your 101.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719NuQvWC
Thank you ..yes .. it is def different. Thank you for the pic..will put it in my identify file!!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:04 AM

Just got back from getting the machine. It even works. Not in bad condition at all. Kinda a cutey.. Wiring is a little scary..needs to be rewired.or just shorten it where it joins up ..at the connection you can see some bare wires. Itsa cutey.. Nice stitch on it. Now I have to read back and see if anyone knows what it is.. I am soo tired of carrying in heavy cabinets.. I don't think it is original to the machine..surely could be wrong..I think the singer is prob from the 50's?? ha.. Ok have to feed the pup and do a few things..then coming back to see if anyone knows what it is..
You have a 101..... I should have a book on it if you need it.

Billy
The original book that came with it is a 201-2 but you can see from the cover picture it is not that one. The front page is apart from the rest but it is all there. Wanna swap, Billy?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Here I go again. Owner of this doesn't know what it is and I only know singer LOL.. Anyone have an idea how old it might be?
I do not know how old it is, but, I say it is a keeper. Kathie
I like it Kathie. Have to clean it up etc..but it has a nice stitch.