Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-19-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm always happy to show off my new sewing room. I downloaded some pics on webshots, and they can be found here: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...78470011jjMxMP
Happy Treadler, love the sewing room and your machines! Wow, you have a Davis VF, a Two Spools, and a very nice blue 128 and what else? I couldn't tell, looked like you also have a 15, not sure of the rest? Very nice set up!
Thanks! I will fill u on on my herd 2morrow. I hate using hubbys phone 4 email!

Nancy
I've got my piecing machine, the Two Spool, the Davis VF for straight & wavy quilting (I actually have both the old & new models because I love the machine so much!), the 15-88 for fm quilting, the 31-15 for larger projects (just got a walking foot for it, but waiting for a part), Eldredge chainstitcher for embroidery, a Necchi BU that I drop in the straight leg Singer cabinet for "ZZ" capabilities. Also re-painted a Singer 128 hand crank and named her Blue Sally (the instructions are on my webshots), a featherweight just because they're cute as a button (only electric). Got many others throughout the house but these are my 'main' machines that I use daily (at least I WISH I could use them daily!). REALLY gotta get my pictures updated. I have sworn off Craigslist for awhile now because I can't help myself. I joined this quilting forum so I would actually USE them more, and here I am again talking about machines. ha ha.

If anyone has a machine that is beyond saving in regards to the decals & paint, the re-painting really wasn't that hard and you can pick your favorite color. I LOVE blueish-purple!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Billy, after DH removed all the decals from Elvira he gave her a coat of wax not knowing I wanted to put some decals on her. What do I do to remove the wax where I want to put decals on? And after the decals are on, how do I protect them? thanks, O B Won Kanobe of the sewing machine world.

Weedwoman I just love your O B Won compliment for Billy. Made me smile and lol.

Sandi
Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 AM

im at work at my party store, but sooo excited i can hardly stand it, one of my regular customers just came in and gave me an elna supermatic in a case like ive never seen before. Says he has several more in the attic he is going to bring them all to me. YIPPEE!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
im at work at my party store, but sooo excited i can hardly stand it, one of my regular customers just came in and gave me an elna supermatic in a case like ive never seen before. Says he has several more in the attic he is going to bring them all to me. YIPPEE!!!
You lucky pup. Want to see pics. Is it one of those green ones whos cabinet folds out into a sewing surface? I've wanted one of those for a while. congrats
Old 02-19-2011, 10:35 AM

DH and I have been playing musical chairs with my sewing machines. Trying to place them so they are actually usable and not just eye candy. My Mickey Mouse room (yes, I'm 65 and have a MM room) is full with my MM stuff, red furniture and an abundance of sewing machines. I have a big chest of drawers (red) full of the stuff that goes with my machines, the hutch my grandfather made (gramma used it in her kitchen all their life and it was pretty rough when I got it) we reworked it and painted it red. I have a model 15 in a red cabinet, 2 red eye treadles in cabinets, on the chest I have a hand crank 99k, and a sphnix head, on the hutch I have an old MW reverse sew and a 99k, on the wall on shelves I have 3 black feather weights and a long bed black 301, on the floor another 99k and a little machine I think made by National (it's a strange little one)plus Elvira is waiting for a cabinetand in this full room I'm going to put my Davis VF. Have an older Necci-Alco, a 306k, a Spartan, my computerized Brother and my serger in my regular sewing room. We put the Japanese Diamond model 15 treadle in our bedroom in a place where I can use it too.
And I still want more machines.......lol
Old 02-19-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by KatFish
I posted this question in a main tread, but I'll ask hear too. I need some advice on how to set the tension on my Singer 201-2. It was working perfect, didn't change anything, and then the tension was too loose on top. The top tread sets on top of the fabric. No matter what setting I set it on, it is still too loose. Any ideas on how I can fit it myself?
I got it fixed. DH was a wonderfull help. The tension is perfect again. Thanks for everyones input.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Billy, after DH removed all the decals from Elvira he gave her a coat of wax not knowing I wanted to put some decals on her. What do I do to remove the wax where I want to put decals on? And after the decals are on, how do I protect them? thanks, O B Won Kanobe of the sewing machine world.
A japan finish is different that regular paint so I am going to guess at this one. I would use GoJo (non pumice) and clean the machines finish and hopefully it will take the wax off. Normally on regular paint I use a wax remover to clean the finish before I stripe a car but this is different.

Billy
Old 02-19-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I need some advice on how to set the tension on my Singer 201-2. It was working perfect, didn't change anything, and then the tension was too loose on top. The top tread sets on top of the fabric. No matter what setting I set it on, it is still too loose. Any ideas on how I can fit it myself?

Is the thread routed the right way? Is the spring keeping the tension on the thread when the take up lever is doing its thing?

Billy

yes it working fine. Just little or no tension when I sew. The tread just sets on top of the fabric. It's so loose that when I pull it out of the machine to cut the tread, it all pulls out.
I haven't read all of the replies, yet, but did you solve this problem? If not, then I will tell you what I did to fix mine. I learned it from the book "Featherweight 221 and I" by Dave McCullam and it was such an easy fix!!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by Lostn51
I need some advice on how to set the tension on my Singer 201-2. It was working perfect, didn't change anything, and then the tension was too loose on top. The top tread sets on top of the fabric. No matter what setting I set it on, it is still too loose. Any ideas on how I can fit it myself?

Is the thread routed the right way? Is the spring keeping the tension on the thread when the take up lever is doing its thing?

Billy

yes it working fine. Just little or no tension when I sew. The tread just sets on top of the fabric. It's so loose that when I pull it out of the machine to cut the tread, it all pulls out.
I haven't read all of the replies, yet, but did you solve this problem? If not, then I will tell you what I did to fix mine. I learned it from the book "Featherweight 221 and I" by Dave McCullam and it was such an easy fix!!
Yes I got it fixed and I am sewing on it now. DH was able to unadjust what I had adjusted and get it adjusted right. I have that book on my wish list. I am going to have to get it.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
Remember to let us see photos!! Good for you!! Congratulations.