Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-22-2011, 06:48 PM

Hi all,
Completely off previous topics, but I need a quick answer. Can I use Kroil to oil a stagnant machine, just like I would use regular sewing machine oil? and are they interchangeable, can i use it instead of of plain singer oil?
Thanks, playing with my new/old Necchi:)
Jane
Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
We were just talking the other day about all the people I know that have cut themselves badly with a rotary cutter! I thought I am too careful, I won't do that, and hadn't done it! Well, guess what my DH was buggin me, and I sliced that first finger to the bone! But, on the good side it is a clean slice and should heal back very nicely! Boy was I doing a weird dance after that -- it hurt! I was not even cussing -- just too painful!

Nancy
You didn't bleed on your fabric did you?? Hugs sorry the cutter bit you. :(

I've cut my left index finger twice now. :oops:
I'm being very much more careful now; the last time I needed 2 stitches and had to explain to the DR what a rotary cutter was. I said it was sorta like a pizza cutter only nearly scalpel sharp and I use it for cutting fabrics. One of the nurses was a quilter and knew what I was talking about.
Sharon W.
:oops:
Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
On the right back corner of the top of my 26 threadle white cabinet, there is a small chrome lid around 2x3 inches. I opened it up and it seems to be just a hole. At first I though I though it might be for the belt. There are holes for that. Does anyone have any idea of what this opening could be for? Kathie
Donna does your new White have the same thing on the back right corner? Kathie's machine looks just like yours, just not quite as old.

Nancy
Nancy, I will take a look and a pic tomorrow. That machine has moved to the back of the room now..with others in front of it. Making myself a promise note to take a pic of the back!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:45 PM

Farmstitcher, beautiful Redeye! Will she be another Lucy?

Nancy
I think I would name her the Little Red Haired girl. :lol:
I love Redeyes! My friend has one and she doesn't use it. It breaks my heart!
Sharon W.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by emmah
I was just given an old White like yours -Donna Mare-that was electrified, got it cleaned and oiled, and it runs nicely. I have an old treadle table, minus the original top that needs to be worked on. It is missing the rod between the treadle and the wheel. I will have to figure out some substitute. Then I can put the two together with a new top! Fun!
That rod is called a "pitman". Billy may have one.
Is it a metal or wood pitman that is supposed to be on the machine

Billy
Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
On the right back corner of the top of my 26 threadle white cabinet, there is a small chrome lid around 2x3 inches. I opened it up and it seems to be just a hole. At first I though I though it might be for the belt. There are holes for that. Does anyone have any idea of what this opening could be for? Kathie
Donna does your new White have the same thing on the back right corner? Kathie's machine looks just like yours, just not quite as old.

Nancy
I think its for a pin cushion, I know some treadles had built in pin cushions offered.

Billy
Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I can't tell if this seller is going for the Baroque period or the Italian Renaissance period. It is the first that I have ever seen.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2227597413.html
Hoo, boy... the things people do... :roll:
That's just scary. Very, very, scary.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty

Nancy, a homemade remedy for the soreness of that finger when it start to heal is to soak it in some diluted 'Murphy's Oil Soap.' It will take the tenderness out of the finger.
Cherrybsixty, I will have to try that because it sure is sore - I keep bumping it!

Monica, I have seen the Fons & Porter glove, maybe it is time to buy one?

Kathy, no it didn't get stitched, butterflied shut. And, thank you, I am up to date on tetanus!

Nancy
A shot or two of scotch will make it feel better too. LOL
Old 02-22-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
You didn't bleed on your fabric did you?? Hugs sorry the cutter bit you. :(
YIKES Spoken like a true quilter! No I did not bleed on the fabric! I was running and screaming the minute I realized what I had done to get something to wrap around my finger!

My oh my aren't we all just a little weird? That was the first thing I checked later - to make sure there was no blood on the fabric I had cut. Hummmmmmmmmmm - most people would think us very weird!

Nancy
Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty

Nancy, a homemade remedy for the soreness of that finger when it start to heal is to soak it in some diluted 'Murphy's Oil Soap.' It will take the tenderness out of the finger.
Cherrybsixty, I will have to try that because it sure is sore - I keep bumping it!

Monica, I have seen the Fons & Porter glove, maybe it is time to buy one?

Kathy, no it didn't get stitched, butterflied shut. And, thank you, I am up to date on tetanus!

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mishap. From one who has had two fingers caught in a lawn mower blade I know it can be very sore, especially when bumping it.

Here are some suggestions as to what my treatment involved. First I was told to soak my fingers twice daily in clear water. I had 60-100 stitches in a 1 inch square area of two fingers though. Keep plenty of ointment on the cut, adding to it throughout the day, then wrap up. I used clear gauze then the stretchy wrap. I do not have any scars on either of these fingers. My thumb that I cut back in high school that I kept dry does have a scar and it was butterflied shut without stitches.
The injury was at the end my middle and ring finger and also caught my index finger as well.

The ointment, triple antibiotic kind, will keep the area moist and germ free. The ointment allows the cut to heal from the inside out. The skin will not become dry which is where the scars are formed. The injury healed after several months. They were quite sensitive for a long long time. Even now the end of my middle finger is overly sensitive if I smack my hand down the wrong way, but this finger also had the bone split. They are also more sensitive to hot and cold ever since. I'm always mindful to keep gloves on my hands in the winter now.

I would definitely invest in the cutting glove. You might want to check out gloves at your local Harbor Freight or supply house. I also use one of the ruler holders, found cheaper at Harbor Freight or using coupons. I'm also mindful to stop cutting fabric when I start to get tired. I've learned it's better to wait until I'm rested for cutting fabric. If using the blades from HF, please note they seem to be very very sharp, as they are in fact carpet cutters, not made for cutting fabric. I do believe they have a different edge on them that makes them sharper.

Good luck as your finger heals.

Have a Great Day!
Pam M