Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 AM

I just had to share my good luck with people who I know will really appreciate it.

A couple of years ago my mother found a little old sewing machine at a car boot sale (swap meet for those on the other side of the pond), she paid £5 for it, about $7.50. It came in a nice little case with a tray in it and a number of feet and a hem stitch attachment. When she connected it up there was a loud bang and some nasty blue smoke so it went back into the box and into the garage. At christmas we were looking for something in the garge and i recognised the box. When i opened it there was a lovely little featherweight made in 1951, well it came home with me and after a visit to the local repair shop shop she now purrs.

I told my brother just how desirable these little beauties are and yesterday he found her a younger sister (1953) at another car boot sale. He had to pay £6 (about $9). She was absolutely filthy. Looked like she had been in a barn for the last 20 years. The case is a little banged up and the storage tray missing but after a good clean she is now shinning. The decals are near perfect but there are a few spots of missing paintwork on the bottom corners. I've given her a good oiling and she now turns freely by hand, I'm just a little nervous about connecting her to the electric until I can get someone to check her over.

It just goes to show that you can still find gems if you look hard enough
Old 02-28-2011, 07:20 AM

Congrat on your finds. Kathie
Old 02-28-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by EnglishYvonne
I just had to share my good luck with people who I know will really appreciate it.

A couple of years ago my mother found a little old sewing machine at a car boot sale (swap meet for those on the other side of the pond), she paid £5 for it, about $7.50. It came in a nice little case with a tray in it and a number of feet and a hem stitch attachment. When she connected it up there was a loud bang and some nasty blue smoke so it went back into the box and into the garage. At christmas we were looking for something in the garge and i recognised the box. When i opened it there was a lovely little featherweight made in 1951, well it came home with me and after a visit to the local repair shop shop she now purrs.

I told my brother just how desirable these little beauties are and yesterday he found her a younger sister (1953) at another car boot sale. He had to pay £6 (about $9). She was absolutely filthy. Looked like she had been in a barn for the last 20 years. The case is a little banged up and the storage tray missing but after a good clean she is now shinning. The decals are near perfect but there are a few spots of missing paintwork on the bottom corners. I've given her a good oiling and she now turns freely by hand, I'm just a little nervous about connecting her to the electric until I can get someone to check her over.

Geeze, I don't think we will find those kind of deals anymore here in the US! What a lucky find for you! Are either one of them the 222 free arm? That would be an unheard of deal!

Nancy
Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldhag
About a month ago I bought a box of old sewing machine attachments from various machines. Inside the box was a container of unused sewing machine needles that were marked Eldridge.
On Friday I came home from work to find my DH grinning and dragging me into the garage. He bought me the machine that goes with the needles!!!! He found this machine and just decided I needed another one and remembered about the needles. What a guy.
The machine is all there and just needs some TLC to get her up and treadling.
Wow. Is that ever going to be a beauty when you get it cleaned up. Be sure to post photos! I love the cabinet, too. Looks like a little desk.

Your hubby sounds like a great guy!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by EnglishYvonne

Awesome!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:33 AM

Oldhag, Your machine and cabinet will look lovely after they are cleaned up. Your husband sound like a nice guy too!
Have fun treadling!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:58 AM

wow! How nice! My husband has gone from teasing me about starting a museum, to asking his dad to be watching out for a featherweight while yardsaling in Arizona while he is there. {all i have is one Singer treadle and a Serata hand crank}
Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 AM

oldhag,

She's a beauty and a keeper. . . . and so is HE. . . .! ! !
Congratulations on having both!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:21 AM

I just got an estimate for refinishing my cabinet for my 66. They want over $2000. Way out of my price range. Kathie
Old 02-28-2011, 11:44 AM

Here's a Rocketeer for sale very reasonable, in the Santa Clarita area, north of San Fernando Valley, CA.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...236558678.html