Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-04-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by JaKnits
I am so excited, I picked up my new treadle today and it appears to be in really good shape. I need to get a belt for it, and find out how to oil it. The cabinet is in great shape in spite of having been painted.

The manual is crumbling, but says it was made in 1904 and is model # 939115, the machine says Standart. Does anyone know who made this machine, what type of needles and bobbins it uses, and any other info.?

Tommorrow I intend to read all the threads on cleaning and restoring these old beauties, since I am a complete newbie at this and know absolutely nothing about these vintage machines.
Thanks in advance for any info. you can give me about my exciting new treasure!
It takes a 1 x 2, or Davis Long needle.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Does anyone have some of the Touch and Swears (Sews)? Specifically the 600, 603, 628 or 728? I have some stuff for those models I need to find a new home for. I'm not listing for sale. You can PM me.
This looks like a good point to jump in and say that the 600 and 603 machines are all metal. I have had one of each. They both sewed great and were well made. They have both gone on to other owners, but I know that the one I cleaned up for a friend is still going strong.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Tonight I got a magnifying glass and looked to see what needles I had. They were Schmetz! They came in the tube marked Boye 4, but were Schmetz needles! Just goes to show us that we better be careful what we are buying off of E-bay! I found one needle marked New Home - a longer than Schmetz needle - and now my T No 3 is sewing.

Miz Johnny, did you know that this T No 3 machine takes a longer than normal needle? I thought it took the short one like the Light Running New Home takes? Do you know what size needle I will need to get for the T No 3? I just lucked out and this needle works, but it is long!

Nancy
I'm not saying these are the cheapest available, just that these were the easiest to find. Keep looking until you find the ones you want to buy:

http://www.sewshop.com/Singer_Indust...4189-2182.html

http://www.sewingshop.com/singerindu...dles-20x1.aspx
Old 03-04-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Hope somebody can tell me something good. I found this 319w at a garage sale this morning. It was marked $2, but the bobbin case is missing, and no accessories, so I only paid $1. It is pretty neat though.
The bobbin case can still be found, so you got a bargain. Same goes for the 15-90 posted earlier. That bobbin case usually runs less than $4, so no sweat!!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stummel
Oh, what a fun thread! I just inherited this old Singer form my husband's aunt, but haven't actually tried it out yet.

I used to have vintage Singers and an Elna, but sold them when I moved, and up until now only had a modern Janome.
Your 28 (or 128) has Victorian decals, and is in really lovely condition. I often find machines with this particular decal quite worn.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by melinda1962
Hope somebody can tell me something good. I found this 319w at a garage sale this morning. It was marked $2, but the bobbin case is missing, and no accessories, so I only paid $1. It is pretty neat though.
Melinda, NICE find!
You will need a 206x13 needle and it uses fashion disks. The 319W machines had a short production time, 1955-1957 and were made at the old Wheeler and Wilson facility. Cool looking machine to use in a treadle. Sorry can't help you on which bobbin case is used.
Remember that the 206 x 13 needles are to be phased out, so buy enough to keep your machine going!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Does anyone have a closeup pic of the Singer 319w bobbin case? I have one in the bobbin assembly, but I'm not really sure if it is the correct one. Would appreciate a pic so i could verify.
Does it sew with this bobbin case? Sometimes they have been replaced with industrial cases, so the numbers may be different, but still work.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:24 PM

Are parts still available for old Bernina 830s? I am getting one that doesn't work and the seller thinks it might be the motor. It is the electronic model. I'm hoping it is worth repairing.

Thanks,

Nancy
Old 03-04-2011, 02:27 PM

Stummel,

What a very pretty machine. It looks like she was very well cared for in the past. Congratulations!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:29 PM

An ad in today's craigslist. I especially like the "foot stepping one":

I have an antique singer sewing machine for sale !
It is very old , but it still works !
The only thing it needs is a belt .
The serial number is D1346458 !
It is a really unique sewing machine !
It is the sewing machine that they used back in the old day ,
because it is the foot stepping one !!
I would like to get $160 out of it , but I will take a reasonable offer !
I love this machine , but I am moving so I need to get rid of it as soon as possible !
First good offer gets it !