Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by buslady
I just acquired a 301A with serial number NB041442, all the serial number sight gives is 1956, which happens to be my birth year, but no other information. Is there a way to get more detail? or is this some of the information that was lost? thanks for the assist!
The machines that start with "NB" were made at the Anderson S. Carolina plant. The records were lost when that plant was sold, I believe. Singer has no further info on their site.

I just bought a 403 from 1956, also *my* birth year... :-D Some good stuff was made that year, huh?

Enjoy your 301, buslady!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Not often I see these wonderful old Pfaffs available. This one is looks to be in great shape in a blond cabinet. Hesston KS is about 45 min north of Wichita.
http://wichita.craigslist.org/gms/2257498423.html
Tommie, I grew up sewing on my mother's Pfaff 130-6. It was a great machine that she bought in the early 50s. I even repaired horse blankets on it and it would sew anything.

Linda
Old 03-10-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
Not often I see these wonderful old Pfaffs available. This one is looks to be in great shape in a blond cabinet. Hesston KS is about 45 min north of Wichita.
Tommie, I grew up sewing on my mother's Pfaff 130-6. It was a great machine that she bought in the early 50s. I even repaired horse blankets on it and it would sew anything.

Linda
If I had room, I'd buy it. They are wonderful machines.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:14 AM

I have an older Kenmore on the "free" topic. It is a model 158-523. Perhaps you know someone who needs a basic machine w/ZZ.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:15 PM

Keep your fingers crossed for me. I have an estimate just from pictures that I e-mailed of just under $500 to refinish my sewing machine cabinet. The last one was over $2000. The person is to come here in about an hour to give me a more detailed estimate. If it is five hundred I will go ahead and get it done. Kathie
Old 03-10-2011, 01:05 PM

Hi all.... I've been lurking for the last couple weeks....

NICE machines and nice cabinets coming to new, appreciative homes!!!! Whooo hoo!

Okay, it's time for me to brag a bunch now... lol.

Here's what I picked up recently in the last 3 weeks:

A pristine 403, with all original attachements, cams, books, buttonholer, hemstitcher, and extra cams too. PLUS... case and plus... the matching Metal legged Card Table to fit it. All for $75, which is a great price for down here. Not a spec of rust. I know that it's not as 'nice' as the 401 or the Rocketeer 500's; but I like it and it works like blazes. The card table is REALLY cool. If you don't have one... GET one. They made them to fit various machines. Mine still has the original instruction page glued to the backside, the wood insert and all rails. Solid. Seems folks like the metal legged tables better than the wood leg ones. Certainly, the one I found... could likely withstand anything short of a house fire or a nuke. lol...

Found another, pristine black 301 shortbed.... no rust. Came with cradle still stuck to it, stuffed with all attachments and buttonholer, books, some other fancy stuff that I don't know what it is... It's pristine, except that the power cord was cut. No big thing. easy to replace. No rust and no nasty white metal rot either. Paid through the nose for it... $175, but it was worth it to me. It will fit just nicely in the trapazoid cabinet once that's re finished.

My other, older 301, that has the rust lightly through out and the quarter-sized spot of white aluminum spauling on the base... well. That's prob. going to Goodwill. Unless someone wants it from this list (just pay the shipping). It didn't come with any attachments...

No treadles yet. I do have three possible treadle heads (converting back to treadle the 66, and two 27s.)
Old 03-10-2011, 01:13 PM

Billy.... and other VSM gurus... I recently came across a reference to a New Home Light Running 'Greyhound' machine. The greyhound was part of the logo from about 1881 to 1927, when NH was bought out by Free.

I'm wondering if any of the NH treadles from then (they made several ... VS I believe) actually had the greyhound either casted into the treadle irons or as part of the decal sets on the machines? I saw a picture of a 27ish looking machine in case on Worthpoint.... that was labled with the word "Greyhound" across the arm. But the NH logo actually had a profile view of a running greyhound on it (hence the 'light running').

Anyone on the list actually have one?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by FarmStitcher

Linda
There's a Pfaff 130 in a cabinet on sale at shopgoodwill.com right now. Looks like a 15-91 sort of.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:15 PM

Tomilu, that looks like a 130, which is what I have of my Mother's. Those machines are work horses!

Nancy
Old 03-10-2011, 02:22 PM

[quote=kwendt]
A pristine 403, with all original attachements, cams, books, buttonholer, hemstitcher, and extra cams too. PLUS... case and plus... the matching Metal legged Card Table to fit it. All for $75, which is a great price for down here.
Found another, pristine black 301 shortbed.... no rust. Came with cradle still stuck to it, stuffed with all attachments and buttonholer, books, some other fancy stuff that I don't know what it is... It's pristine, except that the power cord was cut.
My other, older 301, that has the rust lightly through out and the quarter-sized spot of white aluminum spauling on the base... well. That's prob. going to Goodwill. Unless someone wants it from this list (just pay the shipping). It didn't come with any attachments...

Congratulations! Sounds like you have been having quite a lot of fun!

Nancy