Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-21-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by BoJangles

Sharon, I don't remember hearing a clunking sound when I use my treadle. In fact, it sits behind the sofa and I was treadling away a few nights ago while my husband and girl friend watched TV. They didn't seem to notice anything either other than the sewing machine stitching away.

Nancy
Well, my--aren't we liberal!! (Sorry, couldn't stop myself.)
Oh &*&%R%^**^ it took me awhile to get this, but now I can't stop laughing! You made my night, Miz Johnny! My husband thinks I am crazy sitting in here laughing out loud!!!!!

I guess that did sound funny. We can't call our female friends girl friends anymore???? Oh I don't care, I have several girl friends, and this one was visiting from out of state!

Nancy
Old 03-21-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Usually the 15-88 is a treadle, the potted motor type is a 15-91. Methinks someone swapped out some parts between the 2 machines.
Sharon W.
Sharon good catch! The 15-88 is always a treadle, the 15-89 was a HC, the 15-90, and 15-91 were electric!

Nancy
Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Nancy. . . . . . your husband and his girlfriend were watching tv while you were treadling?. . . . ha! ha!. . . . . just couldn't resist!!!

Seriously, though I am amazed at how often you and Miz Johnny say I have a. . . . (fill in the blank) machine. . . . do you guys keep count of just HOW MANY machines you have as you add to your collections?. . . What a treat it would be to see them all and watch them work!!
Geeze, it does take me awhile! So the fact that my DH and girl friend were both watching TV - that is the funny part -- not that I still refer to my girlfriends as girlfriends! Geeze, I can be so blonde!

I stopped counting the machines, but Miz Johnny's Mother had counted at least 100 when she was counting Miz Johnny's machines!

Nancy
Old 03-21-2011, 07:26 PM

NO!! I added a cute little New Home T-1 this week, though--badged "Duchess". I haven't taken a picture, but it looks just like this one on ebay--same decals:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-NEW-HOME...item1e624895a4

(Didn't someone here ask me some questions about a New Home T?? Didn't have one then, would be glad to answer now!)
Miz Johnny I am the one with the New Home T No 3 little 3/4 size machine. Mine is pictured on page 665. It is cute, but not as cute as the one in the ad.

Nancy
Old 03-21-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Nancy, thanks again for the insight to motors. I looked at the webshot website and found out that my machine was manufactured in 1930. Will go and search for the motor, a manual, spool pin and some bobbins.

Do you know if White Rotary's take a special size needle?

Judy
The White Rotary takes a regular Schmetz 15x1 needle. The bobbins are bigger than normal, but readily available. The book is harder to find. I got one off of e-bay when I couldn't find a free manual. If you need a threading diagram or information from the book I can make you copies. PM me.

Nancy
Old 03-21-2011, 07:34 PM

I am no expert, but I do own 5 15 clones, and they all sew great. They purr so nicely, and also will sew about anything you throw at them. Fast too. All of mine also drop the feed dogs for darning and FMQ. I also like the different colors they come in, and badged with the different names. Hard to date and track, but still neat all the same.

Melinda

Also I have a 1954 66 that has reverse, but actually says backtack on the stitch regulator.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by Grandmother23
I have an opportunity to buy a vintage Kenmore exactly like this one:
http://www.ecrater.com/p/8732598/sea...achine-vintage
only in a nice cabinet...

It looks like an exact clone of a Singer 15. This is the only Kenmore I have seen that looks like this. Does anyone know anything about this model machine? I couldn't find numbers on the machine, at all.
I have one like this. Does yours have an oblong D with a S in the D on the underneath? Mine also says DSM Made in Japan on the column. Mine didn't come with a case though. I couldn't find any numbers on this machine either. But it is a pretty little machine.
I don't have it yet but will look for that when I go look at it again (hopefully tomorrow...) Does yours sew pretty much like a Singer 15?

I've been wanting a Singer 15 and this clone is in so much better shape than any real 15s I've come across. Does anyone know how well the clones compare to the real thing? Billy, what do you think?
I'm not Billy, but the Japanese class 15 machines I've had have been wonderful--and I've had a lot of them!!
Ooooh, I'm excited to hear that! Miz Johnny has 'enabled' me!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by luv2learn
Nancy. . . . . . your husband and his girlfriend were watching tv while you were treadling?. . . . ha! ha!. . . . . just couldn't resist!!!

Seriously, though I am amazed at how often you and Miz Johnny say I have a. . . . (fill in the blank) machine. . . . do you guys keep count of just HOW MANY machines you have as you add to your collections?. . . What a treat it would be to see them all and watch them work!!
Geeze, it does take me awhile! So the fact that my DH and girl friend were both watching TV - that is the funny part -- not that I still refer to my girlfriends as girlfriends! Geeze, I can be so blonde!

I stopped counting the machines, but Miz Johnny's Mother had counted at least 100 when she was counting Miz Johnny's machines!

Nancy
:lol: I must be getting old. I didn't get until it was spelled out a little more clearly. Then, I started laughing - tears came to my eyes. Sorry, but I just had a mental image of a lady sewing on her old fashion treadle while DH and GF watched TV. Thanks Nancy and Miz Johnny for the laugh and your information on the White Rotary.

Judy
Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 PM

I have been borrowing things, such as foot controllers, light/motor cords and such between machines, but have a fun project planned, I hope. Some of my nieces are coming in June and I want to have a sewing party, so I am getting all the missing pieces back together so all the machines can work at once. Thought we would make tote bags, or boxer shorts, or sleep shirts, or something. May have a variety of choices and let all choose their own. My mom will be here to help, so it will be fun.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 PM

Melinda that sounds lkike a great time. Maybe you can share your project pictures with us when you are finished :)
Old 03-21-2011, 08:15 PM

Thanks. I think it will be fun. All kids need to know how to sew some. I love your cat avitar. I have a cat that looks a lot like that, but more white on the nose. She "talks" all the time; her name is Crybaby, matter of fact.