Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Help! I was checking out the motor on my 99 and unscrewed a screw. It had a spring on on the inside. I went to put the screw back in and half of the screw head fell off. Does anyone have an extra screw as well as a throat plate that they would like to sell to me? Kathie
Old 03-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Banned

Now later on in Singers history, in the 60's you could also buy Radios, Projectors (I have one of them) Typewriters, TV's, Record Players and Hair driers. It was like a one stop shop for your wife back then.

Billy

Notice the White Featherweight?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175338[/ATTACH]

FW in the Card Table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175339[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-175330.jpe   attachment-175332.jpe   attachment-175333.jpe  
Old 03-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Help! I was checking out the motor on my 99 and unscrewed a screw. It had a spring on on the inside. I went to put the screw back in and half of the screw head fell off. Does anyone have an extra screw as well as a throat plate that they would like to sell to me? Kathie
PM sent.

Billy
Old 03-26-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by luce321
What a beauty! Sharon, I was just on e-bay looking at the 221's. When you purchase on e-bay and they state that the machine is in working order, how does one know if it really is? Lucy
When you are asking questions, make the distinction between Working as in the motor makes a noise and the needle goes up and down, and Working as in stitching a recognisable stitch.

If you are told it stitches nicely, perhaps you can ask to see a pic of a sample, but if it is stated that it stitches, then that is what it is supposed to do and you should have some comeback if it doesn't do that.
GREAT response as I am looking for parts so that my modern Home Deluxe by Brother will sew. Motor runs, wheel turns, but there is NO pedal/controller to plug it into. It works but it does NOT sew. I actually define that as NOT working as a sewing machine needs to sew to be considered working IMO.

So, be very careful with the wording. Running is one thing, sewing might be considered optional. The seller actually responded to me with a hilarious "it's an antique about 100 years old and you expect it to work?" Uh, yeah, you SAID it worked.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:16 PM

Billy, any idea if the toy Singer machines are still out there? I'd love to have one for a granddaughter. I'd also love to have a 301 if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks. Man, I hate this shop....makes me wanna buy, buy, buy!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 02:29 PM

Thought I'd share another project.... 1873 Singer Mother of Pearl - Handcrank. I need some patience or she's going to see Uncle Billy in Bikini Bottom :)

Judy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-175392.jpe   attachment-175393.jpe   attachment-175394.jpe  
Old 03-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Swap Hosts

I am so excited. Found a fabulous little machine at an estate sale today and it really purrs. Only $30! It's a Taylor Professional Model 834. If anyone knows where I can find a manual I would be grateful.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-175409.jpe   attachment-175410.jpe  
Old 03-26-2011, 02:49 PM

Kitsone, that will be a gorgeous machine cleaned up. I love the mother of pearl inserts.

My little Leader came home with me. She is tiny. I have part of a book and it does say 10M-3' 28 Irwin Part of different book says 3M-J '28 Irwin, so I think it must be 1928. I have a huge box of attachments - I may have the ruffler I want, though I'd rather have one for the 301. Two wooden boxes of needles. They are 1/4" longer that a 15x1.

I was a little slow on the draw or I'd have a big box of what I think are Singer cams for one of you. She didn't know what they were and like an idiot, I told they didn't belong with this machine. Also some very slim steel knitting needles and a bone crochet hook. The seller kept those though she didn't know what they were. I did inherit a six bobbins that probably won't work in my Elna - she's very fussy. I have only the shuttle that's in the machine, but one is probably enough. Oh, and a page from a Singer redeye book??? One hinge on the machine has pulled out, but I think I can glue it. The treadle sounds terrible, but moves okay, so I'm thinking an oiling is in order.

I hope I can round up some family to bring her in tomorrow. It's hard to hide my new addiction when I need help lifting this one. The kids loaded her face down and it's bugging me. I did pack her with heavy duty bubble wrap inside and a bungee cord and blankets outside. Yes, it fit in my car's trunk without any trouble. Close on the depth, but plenty of space on the ends and side.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
I am so excited. Found a fabulous little machine at an estate sale today and it really purrs. Only $30! It's a Taylor Professional Model 834. If anyone knows where I can find a manual I would be grateful.
It appears your machine is a Singer Stylist 834 or a very close facsimile. This site has manuals http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...ion_Manual.htm for sale.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Thought I'd share another project.... 1873 Singer Mother of Pearl - Handcrank. I need some patience or she's going to see Uncle Billy in Bikini Bottom :)

Judy
I love that machine! Where did you get that one?