Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by MarieM
Hi folks, I made it to the thrift store yesterday and test drove both the Singer 301 and Necchi Alco 400 (not really vintage in my book). I told the owner I'd thread both machines, adjust the tension and make sure they both ran. The singer had some electrical issues and seemed a little sluggish, so I opted to leave that one at the store. The Necchi, that I wasn't really interested in was like a work horse. It was quiet, smooth, kinda like driving a luxury car, so I brought that one home. All that to get to the question: I want to get some cams for it, I've looked on E-Bay the sellers for the ones listed don't know which machine they are for. Are the cams for the Necchi interchangeable or are the specific to each model? I'd appreciate any information. Thanks in advance.
Marie M.
OOOOO!!! That 301 would have cleaned up really easily, and they are wonderful little machines. They are the next Featherweight, and if you can get one at less than $100 you should get it. IMHO :-)
Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Hi folks, I made it to the thrift store yesterday and test drove both the Singer 301 and Necchi Alco 400 (not really vintage in my book). I told the owner I'd thread both machines, adjust the tension and make sure they both ran. The singer had some electrical issues and seemed a little sluggish, so I opted to leave that one at the store. The Necchi, that I wasn't really interested in was like a work horse. It was quiet, smooth, kinda like driving a luxury car, so I brought that one home. All that to get to the question: I want to get some cams for it, I've looked on E-Bay the sellers for the ones listed don't know which machine they are for. Are the cams for the Necchi interchangeable or are the specific to each model? I'd appreciate any information. Thanks in advance.
Marie M.
OOOOO!!! That 301 would have cleaned up really easily, and they are wonderful little machines. They are the next Featherweight, and if you can get one at less than $100 you should get it. IMHO :-)
I love the 301! I bought one for $30 because the seller didn't think it worked. Just took a cleaning and new bobbin case and she sews like a dream! Number three for me, all long beds! And all three are work-horses. I am always on the lookout for these machines!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 AM

I just got a very rusty Singer 20 toy machine. I've been doing a bit of surface cleaning but don't want to damage it. It has pitting on the chrome, etc. How do I go about cleaning things like tiny rusty springs and the gears? Is this a candidate for the kerosene bath? I've read about using oxalic acid for cleaning rust from chrome. I'm not sure if the spokes on the wheel are (were) chrome or could they have been nickel plated? I'd appreciate any advice. Does anyone know where I could find the booklet online for this?
Thanks!
Nancy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-177362.jpe   attachment-177363.jpe  
Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I got an amazing machine on eBay today...anyway, amazing to me!! It looks absolutely GREAT!! 1917 Western Electric. It has been cleaned up and it works!! I got it really, really, ridiculously cheap....I couldn't hardly believe it. Tell me what you think. BTW....my DH is gonna KILL me!!! LOL...oh well.
Nice looking machine--it looks like a National Rotary. I have one in a treadle that has *nearly* made it to the top of the pile--it sews an amazing stitch, so I hope it has!!
Hi Miz Johnny - Yes, my little bit of research is that National did make these machines for Western Electric for only 2 years...1917 and 1918. Then they stopped when Singer started dominating the market. Western Electric had come up with the motor, and National already had the sewing machine manufacturing.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
Marie M.
I love the 301! I bought one for $30 because the seller didn't think it worked. Just took a cleaning and new bobbin case and she sews like a dream! Number three for me, all long beds! And all three are work-horses. I am always on the lookout for these machines!
I have a black one I got a few months ago. I am sewing on her, still working out some bugs. Had to replace the upper thread tension unit as the springs were DOA and it just wouldn't adjust at all. Also had to buy new cord, and took a lot of cleaning and oiling. I still can't get the bobbin winder to loosen up enough to wind the bobbin, but will be working on it this weekend again. Hope I can get it to work. But I LOVE how she stitches. I used her last night, and the bobbin tension is slowly getting tighter and tighter. I'll have to look into that too. But overall I LOVE my 301...her name is Miss Ida.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:34 AM

I got an amazing machine on eBay today...anyway, amazing to me!! It looks absolutely GREAT!! 1917 Western Electric. It has been cleaned up and it works!! I got it really, really, ridiculously cheap....I couldn't hardly believe it. Tell me what you think. BTW....my DH is gonna KILL me!!! LOL...oh well.
Well, I paid for this beauty last night, and now waiting for it to arrive. I'll post better pictures when it does. I am nearly breathless to get my hands on it.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:34 AM

My 301 arrived 'serviced and ready to sew'. Uh, not with lint packed in the bobbin area and badly in need of oil. The seller had put a new cord and foot pedal on her, which was a plus. AnnieRose sewed a little noisily (remember I'm used to a Elna, so everything is noisy to me) and little sluggishly. Daily oiling and sewing for several days changed everything. She now is relatively quiet and the perfect speed with a very well balanced stitch - again not as perfect as the Elna, but I've never seen another machine that is.

At that price, I'd take a chance on it.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

Is $199 too much for a 1940 201-2 in cabinet, with stool and extras like button holer and bobbins. It looks in good condition. Do I want a newer model? I have a 201-2 on my wish list so I am thinking this is clouding my mind when it comes to the cost plus it is a good ways from my home but.....I want a 201-2. What do you, other vintage-holics think?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by qltndog
Go Jo (non pumice) for the cleaning of the finish. If you use a cleaner type of wax the decals will come off.

Billy

Thanks again, Billy. I have goop hand cleaner, but can't find GoJo cleaner. Anyone in Calfornia know what stores carry it?
I checked out wal mart and Lowes-no luck.[/quote]
I saw it at "Stop & Shop" here in the Boston area.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:50 AM

Does anyone have an Elna Grasshopper...I just purchased one this morning complete with case that turns into a sewing table with original paper work and booklets...I found it on Esty for 85 in mint condition and did research that it's like a Featherweight in weight made by the Swiss. Then found one on ebay that was already up to 150 with two days to go...So on impulse I bought it on Esty...Hope I made the right decision...