Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1368 of 4403 FirstFirst ... 368 868 1268 1318 1358 1367 1368 1369 1378 1418 1468 1868 2368 ... LastLast
Results 13,671 to 13,680 of 44029

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #13671
    Super Member sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    4,039
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    Hey, everyone!
    Got the bug! Just picked up my first treadle today. A 127 Sphinx in a cabinet...but boy, there must be a learning curve on treadling. I was a mess trying it out. No photos yet and I have a quilt getaway so won't be home for a few days. (I'm hoping DH finds a good place for it in the house while I'm gone).
    Will keep you posted!
    lots2do
    One good tip I learned from another member was to join some long strips while you are learning to treadle. Something like the tube quilt is a good project for a new treadler... I am just now getting to where I can move my hands and reposition the work without stopping while treadling. I think a lot of my problem is an old, loose belt, tho. I really need to stop and shorten that thing so I won't have to cuss at it so much.

  2. #13672
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    Hey, everyone!
    Got the bug! Just picked up my first treadle today. A 127 Sphinx in a cabinet...but boy, there must be a learning curve on treadling. I was a mess trying it out. No photos yet and I have a quilt getaway so won't be home for a few days. (I'm hoping DH finds a good place for it in the house while I'm gone).
    Will keep you posted!
    lots2do
    Congrats! I got a new to me 210k treadle recently. I need to learn how to use it, too. :-D

  3. #13673
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,150
    Took me a while to get a rhythm going but once you figure it out is is easy.

  4. #13674
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

    One good tip I learned from another member was to join some long strips while you are learning to treadle. Something like the tube quilt is a good project for a new treadler... I am just now getting to where I can move my hands and reposition the work without stopping while treadling. I think a lot of my problem is an old, loose belt, tho. I really need to stop and shorten that thing so I won't have to cuss at it so much.
    Joining long strips? Is that because they might be the easiest to handle while learning?

    Thanks,

  5. #13675
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    Took me a while to get a rhythm going but once you figure it out is is easy.
    The only thing I've heard is putting one foot towards the front of the treadle and the other foot towards the back is good. Does that sound like good advice?

    Thanks,

  6. #13676
    Junior Member FarmStitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDsQ8wIwAg#

    I thought they were Janomes. The machines were in new oak cabinets. Treadleon says Janome doesn't make a cabinet, but the community has a furniture factory so making a cabinet would be no problem. My daughter just had her hickory kitchen cabinets made by that community.

    Check out the new treadle machines on Lehmans non electric web site:

    http://www.lehmans.com/cgi-bin/lehma...?page_number=1

  7. #13677
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    Took me a while to get a rhythm going but once you figure it out is is easy.
    The only thing I've heard is putting one foot towards the front of the treadle and the other foot towards the back is good. Does that sound like good advice?

    Thanks,
    Yes very good advice it is just a matter of getting your feet in rhythm I kept stopping and going backwards at first. I got it now! I had it good when I was little and used to play on grandmas too!

  8. #13678
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
    Check out the new treadle machines on Lehmans non electric web site:

    http://www.lehmans.com/cgi-bin/lehma...?page_number=1
    $1000?! Really?! :shock:

    I got a page missing error with the above link. Had to go through the Search to find it. Here's a good link:

    http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Go...29003950?Args=

  9. #13679
    Junior Member FarmStitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
    Check out the new treadle machines on Lehmans non electric web site:

    http://www.lehmans.com/cgi-bin/lehma...?page_number=1
    $1000?! Really?! :shock:

    I got a page missing error with the above link. Had to go through the Search to find it. Here's a good link:

    http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Go...29003950?Args=
    Nope, I won't be buying one of those! :| I do like the clean, simple look of it though.

  10. #13680
    Senior Member Grandmother23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Port Sulphur, LA
    Posts
    311
    Blog Entries
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by squilter
    Duh, I should have known that, my g-son watches Spongebob non-stop when he is here.....I live in the Missouri Bootheel.

    Thanks for information on machine, so it's not a rare one or anything?
    No it is a very common machine, in fact it was one of Singer's more popular models. There were 8,906,297 of those machines produced from 1902 to 1956.

    Billy
    Sorry Billy, and squilter, which machine are ya'll talking about? I am lost. So sorry.

    Thanks,
    Lauren

    I guess I am lost in the post. Different things going on in the next weekend with the Strawberry Festival in Pontchatula, LA and what I will do in the next weekend (Looking for bargins after the Festival.).

    Lauren

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.