Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
Check out the new treadle machines on Lehmans non electric web site:

http://www.lehmans.com/cgi-bin/lehma...?page_number=1
$1000?! Really?! :shock:

I got a page missing error with the above link. Had to go through the Search to find it. Here's a good link:

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Go...29003950?Args=
I am digging the Gas Iceboxes and the stoves! And did you see the Ringer Washer that he has for $900?

Billy
Old 04-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

One good tip I learned from another member was to join some long strips while you are learning to treadle. Something like the tube quilt is a good project for a new treadler... I am just now getting to where I can move my hands and reposition the work without stopping while treadling. I think a lot of my problem is an old, loose belt, tho. I really need to stop and shorten that thing so I won't have to cuss at it so much.
Joining long strips? Is that because they might be the easiest to handle while learning?

Thanks,
Exactly... not as much starting and stopping.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 PM

One good tip I learned from another member was to join some long strips while you are learning to treadle. Something like the tube quilt is a good project for a new treadler... I am just now getting to where I can move my hands and reposition the work without stopping while treadling. I think a lot of my problem is an old, loose belt, tho. I really need to stop and shorten that thing so I won't have to cuss at it so much.
Joining long strips? Is that because they might be the easiest to handle while learning?

Thanks,
Exactly... not as much starting and stopping.
Oh thanks, that makes sense. :D
Old 04-07-2011, 06:33 PM

I just started on two long scraps and kept going with no mind for seams until I figured out the rhythm any old fabric will work once I figured it out I tried seams. I did all my practice on scraps
Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

I got a page missing error with the above link. Had to go through the Search to find it. Here's a good link:

I had enough ringer washers when I was a kid!! No thanks...
I am digging the Gas Iceboxes and the stoves! And did you see the Ringer Washer that he has for $900?

Billy
Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
I just started on two long scraps and kept going with no mind for seams until I figured out the rhythm any old fabric will work once I figured it out I tried seams. I did all my practice on scraps
That's probably what I should do. So, if I can drive a standard transmission, I should be able to drive a treadle, right? :lol:
Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
Did you notice the wringer washer is made in Saudi Arabia?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 PM

Hi!

The past week I have been out sick too with a nasty cold that has settle in my lungs. I been drinking my tea, eating my chicken noodle soup, and using Vicks. Just read about putting the Vicks on the bottom of my feet, so I will give that method a try tonight.

Billy I have read all the pages to this thread and enjoy reading it daily (just didn't do it earlier this week since I felt like crap).

Nancy, Your cabinet is gorgeous! You and your husband did an excellent job bring the beauty back to this cabinet. Gorgeous, simple gorgeous!

Purplefiend, Sharon, sorry to hear that you had bronchitis, no fun there. Just be careful in the future with colds settling in the lungs, you could be susceptible to bronchitis again.

To all the new folks sharing their wonderful stories on their great finds, congrats on your vintage machines and welcome.

And to everyone else, hope you are all having fun sewing your special quilts with your vintage machines. I think I can hear the sounds of treadles busy at work, beautiful sound.

I hope to be finishing my project this weekend; I'm missing my treadling.

Off to bed for me now with Vicks on the bottom of my feet this time.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Hi!

The past week I have been out sick too with a nasty cold that has settle in my lungs. I been drinking my tea, eating my chicken noodle soup, and using Vicks. Just read about putting the Vicks on the bottom of my feet, so I will give that method a try tonight.
Well, I'm glad that you are feeling better! It sounds like there is a nasty virus going around....and that virus doesn't have anything to do with acquiring vintage sewing machines. I hope you are back to sewing very soon.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Hi!

Billy I have read all the pages to this thread and enjoy reading it daily (just didn't do it earlier this week since I felt like crap).

Nancy, Your cabinet is gorgeous! You and your husband did an excellent job bring the beauty back to this cabinet. Gorgeous, simple gorgeous!

Purplefiend, Sharon, sorry to hear that you had bronchitis, no fun there. Just be careful in the future with colds settling in the lungs, you could be susceptible to bronchitis again.

To all the new folks sharing their wonderful stories on their great finds, congrats on your vintage machines and welcome.

And to everyone else, hope you are all having fun sewing your special quilts with your vintage machines. I think I can hear the sounds of treadles busy at work, beautiful sound.

I hope to be finishing my project this weekend; I'm missing my treadling.

Off to bed for me now with Vicks on the bottom of my feet this time.
Monica, missed you around the shop, hope that you get to feeling better. That 'Vicks', works, rest now.