Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-11-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Damascas Treadle machine--Looking for date information. I bought this sweetheart about 15 years ago. Her cabinet was falling apart and she came home in the pickup with three sacks of broken off pieces. I restored the cabinet and have been trying to find out about her. I just found this part of the Board, so I'm hoping. She was like a time capsule. I have the owners manual, tools manual, all kinds of attachments, two shuttles, OLD needles, measuring tape--everything. All for $50.00 which was a bargin back then. I haven't tried to work her, but am anxious now to get her oiled and see about her.

Can anyone help???
Quiltdoctor, that is a beautiful cabinet and machine! Someone here should be able to help - Billy may know how to date the Damascus, I don't know where to find the dates for that machine, but a really nice set up!

Thanks for joining us!

Nancy
Old 04-11-2011, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Damascas Treadle machine--Looking for date information. I bought this sweetheart about 15 years ago. Her cabinet was falling apart and she came home in the pickup with three sacks of broken off pieces. I restored the cabinet and have been trying to find out about her. I just found this part of the Board, so I'm hoping. She was like a time capsule. I have the owners manual, tools manual, all kinds of attachments, two shuttles, OLD needles, measuring tape--everything. All for $50.00 which was a bargin back then. I haven't tried to work her, but am anxious now to get her oiled and see about her.

Can anyone help???
You have done an amazing job with that cabinet! It's a beauty... Hope you get to use the lovely Damascus machine.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by amyjo
Billy, checked the needle, changed for a brandnew singer new just in case, checked the bobbin race. She sews a beautiful stitch, can't see any thing catching on the face plate. changed thresd. used some oil in bobbin area. not as loud as before but still not right.
Pull the bobbin case off and take your fingers and carefully see if you can rattle the hook assembly around in its race. Take the hand wheel and clock it around a 1/4 turn at a time then check it again. Your hook assembly might be worn around the race. If it is really sloppy then it needs to be replaced.

This is what I do not like about the Singer 15.....the hook assemblies usually have a lot of slop anyway and they make noise. The Japanese 15's are way better about their tolerances and run so much more smoothly.

Billy
Old 04-11-2011, 06:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Liz aka Helen
Billy - any advice for a Goodwill find - I found a Singer 338 I looked it up on the Singer Web site - 300 series Jan 25 1965, 60000 made , in Kilboure Clydebank Scotland. I got it for $25.00 with cabinet. Missing the power cord and foot pedal though. I did find that on ebay tonight for 15.00 plus shipping. No extra pieces either.
You got a great deal on the machine!! Be sure to take some photos of her and post them so we can all see her!

Billy
Old 04-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jtapp9
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Finally some pictures! She is dated Feb 25, 1959, lot of 50,000.
I love your machine! If you can ever find a 3/4 sized cabinet jump on it. But the cabinet it is in now looks pretty darn nice.

Billy
Billy, does that look like an original foot pedal? Is this the machine that has to be in a case or cabinet to work?

Also, what should I do to protect that chipped spot and keep it from getting worse?

Thanks for your input! If not for the encouragement here I would not have two beautiful new to me vintage machines :thumbup:
Go to Micheal's and get a Testors Black paint pen and touch the spot up on her or you can try automotive touch up paint. As far as the pedal, yes it is a genuine Singer pedal that were used on their 3/4 machines. I never liked them and i usually swap them out for the FW style pedal because of personal preference.

Now something I did notice that you need to change out is the Belt. That is one of those one size fits all rubber belts that will burn up you motor so fast it will make your head swim. Put a regular belt on the machine and you will never have any issues.

Billy
Old 04-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
It seems the Rocketeer all of a sudden has sparked interest and the price of the machine is sky rocketing!

Nancy
Have you seen what the 301's are starting to commend? There is one on Goodwills site sitting at $300+ and it still has a few days to go. They will be passing the Featherweights very soon!

Billy
Old 04-11-2011, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the kind words !! Does anyone have a current e-mail address for Damascas Annie?? The one I was given evidentually doesn't work any longer.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:49 AM

Can anyone tell the age of a Franklin Serial#809863 or where I an find it. I can't remember who has Franklin treadle on this VSMS. I must be having a senior moment. Glenn
Old 04-11-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Billy, does that look like an original foot pedal? Is this the machine that has to be in a case or cabinet to work?

Also, what should I do to protect that chipped spot and keep it from getting worse?

Thanks for your input! If not for the encouragement here I would not have two beautiful new to me vintage machines :thumbup:
Go to Micheal's and get a Testors Black paint pen and touch the spot up on her or you can try automotive touch up paint. As far as the pedal, yes it is a genuine Singer pedal that were used on their 3/4 machines. I never liked them and i usually swap them out for the FW style pedal because of personal preference.

Now something I did notice that you need to change out is the Belt. That is one of those one size fits all rubber belts that will burn up you motor so fast it will make your head swim. Put a regular belt on the machine and you will never have any issues.

Billy[/quote]

I actually went to Joann's yesterday and bought that belt because it didn't have one on it. I didn't realize it wouldn't be the right one. Where would I find the right belt?

I remember you writing about the testers pen in one of your tutorials. I will certainly get one!

Thanks again!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Foxflower
What Singer site can I use to learn about my vintage machine?
www.singerco.com would be a good place to start. With the serial number you can look up the allotment(?) date and number alloted. You may even be able to find a manual. :)
Thank you, once I get the numbers off it I'll check. I'll take a picture too. It is a beautiful machine.