Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Originally Posted by Lostn51
The 66 is a wonderful machine and I love them. I have 3 or 4 of them in different forms, Treadle, Handcrank, Back clamp, and a "FrankenSinger" a seriously cobbled together 66 from several different models.

The 66 is a lot lighter and a little less complicated to tear into but both machines are really smooth sewing and if you can find a 66 from the 30's they are sooooo smooth. The last 2 that I played with were super smooth running.

Billy
Are the different forms what the two digits after the dash mean? The one I'm getting is motor operated. Is that what a back clamp is called? What started my interest was the large throat plate....the fact that it's much simpler than some of the computerized ones available now, and it's inexpensive price is what sold me.

Billy, you seriously saved me a lot a few weeks back. I pm'd you about my Janome misbehaving. Turns out it was the foot pedal and she's back up and running now. All I had to replace was the pedal. I really love her for small projects and can take her to club meetings and such. Hopefully, I'll have mom's FW out soon and can get her the part she needs. I won't know what to do with 3 working machines in my tiny apartment, but I'll have as many machines as I have children, so that'll be my cutoff---for now. I can't wait for the weather to get warm enough we can tackle that garage!
The 66-1 and 66-3 are the back clamp versions (66-3 is a hand crank) and the 66-18 is the one with the back tack feature. The sub models are just little improvements that were made for that run. Sometimes its easy to see the difference and sometimes it was very minute. To this day I still do not know all of the sub models.

Billy
Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 PM

I am DROOLING, DROOLING, DO YOU HEAR ME? I just acquired my Granny's 1908 treadle, but it is in pitiful condition. Long story, but it ended up in a storage room and was treated so badly. Breaks my heart!!!! My granny was given this when she was 12 years old and never owned an electric. She made gorgeous quilts. Will try really hard to have the machine, at least, restored! Lots of work to do!!!!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
The 66 is a wonderful machine and I love them. I have 3 or 4 of them in different forms, Treadle, Handcrank, Back clamp, and a "FrankenSinger" a seriously cobbled together 66 from several different models.

The 66 is a lot lighter and a little less complicated to tear into but both machines are really smooth sewing and if you can find a 66 from the 30's they are sooooo smooth. The last 2 that I played with were super smooth running.

Billy
Are the different forms what the two digits after the dash mean? The one I'm getting is motor operated. Is that what a back clamp is called? What started my interest was the large throat plate....the fact that it's much simpler than some of the computerized ones available now, and it's inexpensive price is what sold me.

Billy, you seriously saved me a lot a few weeks back. I pm'd you about my Janome misbehaving. Turns out it was the foot pedal and she's back up and running now. All I had to replace was the pedal. I really love her for small projects and can take her to club meetings and such. Hopefully, I'll have mom's FW out soon and can get her the part she needs. I won't know what to do with 3 working machines in my tiny apartment, but I'll have as many machines as I have children, so that'll be my cutoff---for now. I can't wait for the weather to get warm enough we can tackle that garage!
The 66-1 and 66-3 are the back clamp versions (66-3 is a hand crank) and the 66-18 is the one with the back tack feature. The sub models are just little improvements that were made for that run. Sometimes its easy to see the difference and sometimes it was very minute. To this day I still do not know all of the sub models.

Billy
Here is what I have found.

66-1 Egyptian 1902 -06 Scroll 1906 - 23 back clamping treadle
66-3 HC Back clamping
66-4, 1923- side clamping treadle
66-5 side clamping HC
66-6 1921-31 side clamping electric
66-8 side clamping
66-13 side clamping 1920 +
66-14 side clamping with reverse
66-14 thru 66-24 reverse and side clamping

66 was made between 1902 and 1956

This is what I found out when I was doing all the research on side clamping versus back clamping 66's.

Nancy
This is where I got this information.

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...sses-1-99.html
Old 04-23-2011, 05:03 AM

That's really cool. Thank you. I know this one was made in the late 40's early 50's. I'll be taking all sorts of pictures of it once I get her home.

I'm so excited. I almost want to wait until Tuesday to put this binding on so I can try her out, but I really need to get that done this weekend so I can send the quilt off. It's late as it is.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
anybody know anything about a 128 Singer(may 1941)? A friend gave me on today. Everything is there except one of the bobbon covers ( Front one). Glenn
Hi Glen,
Do you think that you received a "Blackside" by chance? If so, I have an extra front throat plate.
I have a 1941crinkle finish in a bentwood case. I do not use it much because (as Billy once commented)..."it's like moving fabric over sand paper". Singer manufactured the blacksides during 1941 and 1947 and used black metal instead of chrome.
Not sure which model you have but would love to see some photos when you get a chance.

Judy
Old 04-23-2011, 06:48 AM

Do you think that you received a "Blackside" by chance? If so, I have an extra front throat plate.
I have a 1941crinkle finish in a bentwood case. I do not use it much because (as Billy once commented)..."it's like moving fabric over sand paper". Singer manufactured the blacksides during 1941 and 1947 and used black metal instead of chrome.
Not sure which model you have but would love to see some photos when you get a chance.

Judy[/quote]

Judy I need a bobbin plate for me blackside. Is there any chance that you may have an extra one to sell? Kathie
Old 04-23-2011, 07:15 AM

I haven't done any real sewing on my blackside, but it doesn't feel too rough. Maybe I'll put some extra wax on the bed. She's too cute not to use, though to be honest, when the Necchi is cleaned up even the 301 may be getting a vacation. I'm excited over the prospect of a machine that quilts as well as the 301 and runs as quietly as the Elna who does not quilt well.

Our weather is making getting the machines outside to clean an issue. At this time last year we were in the high 70s and the crops were in. This year we have snow on the ground. Oh, well, I've got a quilt to finish.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 AM

Mpeters1200,
For machine quilting I've found that the Singer 15-90,91 are better for quilting; especially free motion quilting. I have a Singer 201 and 66, I don't have much luck free motion quilting with either, the 15-90 is wonderful for that. I have done straight line quilting with the 201 and it did a great job.
Sharon W.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:18 AM

how do you drop feed dogs on a 15-90? or how do you do the fmq? I am going to try to do this on a baby quilt if I can. I have read so much about doing this on these machines that I want to try it on mine.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo
how do you drop feed dogs on a 15-90? or how do you do the fmq? I am going to try to do this on a baby quilt if I can. I have read so much about doing this on these machines that I want to try it on mine.
There is a screw underside of machine by the bobbin holder area that you unscrew to drop the feed dogs. Then the fabric moves freely, in any direction you wish it to go.

Most folks get a darning foot that fits the machine to free motion with. I have cut part of the plastic out of mine shown in photo, so that I can see a bit better when moving the fabric around.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-188009.png   attachment-188010.jpe