Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 AM

Thanks for your quick response. Not sure I will get her, but didn't know enough to make a good decision.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:17 AM

Called DH last night and told him I'd found a machine - another one!!!
This is a Singer 401A full of New Mexico sand and dirt. I'm even afraid to plug it in until I get rid of the filth. It has a number of cams with it and I sure hope it will run.
Sure am glad I'm not flying back home next week but driving with sis.
Have a blessed day, all.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:33 AM

Finally, I got my dream machine. I have been wanting a fw for a while now, but, they are usually out of my price range. Sunday, I saw one on ebay, under buy it now. It was selling for $225. I emailed the seller and then after a few emails back and forth, I called him. We talked about the machine and I made arrangements to pick it up yesterday. It looked good in the picture, but it looked even better in person. It has the case with tray and key, the case is showing its age, but, I don't really care, it is only cosmetic. It also came with a manual, and some bobbins. I found that when I looked up the attachments it uses, I already have some of them from other machines. So, it didn't bother me that it didn't have any attachments with it. This morning, I took the bottom off and there is a new filter in there. The chrome is nice and shiny. It has been pretty well taken care of. I am going to use the pic as my new avatar. It is a 1951 with the blue centenial badge on it. I am a very happy camper. Sorry this was so long. Almost forgot, her name is Phyllis, after my younger sister who passed away 5 years ago.

1951 Singer Featherweight
[ATTACH=CONFIG]189301[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-189295.jpe  
Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by laura59
Finally, I got my dream machine. It is a 1951 with the blue centenial badge on it. .
Happy dance for you!!! She looks very pretty!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Whis is this little machine worth?? I can't find any info on it. http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/atq/2345186622.html

Jan in Tx
More than $1!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hey kids I figured I would drop in the shop for a second to say hello and I will try to catch up on the post but we have some serious storms coming again tonite. 80mph straight line winds in one cell and there are several tornadoes on the ground headed this way. I wish we could get a break from this but it doesnt look like it will happen anytime soon. We already had a tornado rip through the south east part of the city and county early this afternoon.

I am going to try and get my PM's answered in the next hour before all hell breaks loose. :roll: So bear with me folks, if it were up to me it would be 72 and sunny all year round.

Billy
Sorry you're getting all the bad storms that are missing Texas.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
I don't know what clamping feet are, but you sure have a pretty machine. Those red eyes are nice. All the ones I've seen are treadles, no electric ones.
Here's a website that shows pictures of the back clamping feet for the Singer 66-1 model.

http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/bcfeet.html
Old 04-26-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Whis is this little machine worth?? I can't find any info on it. http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/atq/2345186622.html

Jan in Tx
I think the most I'd pay for that machine is $50, it'll use all of the Singer short shank feet and class 15 bobbins.
Its a Singer 15 clone, very good machine.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:30 AM

Thanks to everyone that made nice comments about my red eye Singer 66-1, I've decided to name her "Ruth" after my paternal Grandma. She started my love of sewing. She would've been 6 years old when this machine came out.
Sharon W. in Texas
Old 04-26-2011, 06:35 AM

I found this beautiful machine on craigslist.
As you can see in the pics she has her original cabinet too.
Before I even plugged her in, I gave her a good cleaning, with lots of oil and grease.
We plugged her in and she squealed and fussed until the oil and grease got to the places that had been so dry and uncared for.
She came with the '0' cam.
She has a knee bar and I ordered extra cams from ebay Sunday evening.
I joined a Slantomatic group on Yahoo and downloaded two manuals, the 503 and the 500.
The 503 had a great exploded view of all the oiling places and the gears to grease.
I am really excited to play with her.
I now have a machine that can zig-zag.
With the price of the cams coming I have less than $50.00 invested in the whole kit and kaboodle.
What a blessing this machine is to me.
I have named her Faith.
I would love to hear from anyone who has one like Faith to gleam your knowledge of do's and don'ts.

Blessings to all,
Sandi

Hubby will put her back in the cabinet this evening.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-189318.jpe   attachment-189319.jpe