Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by amyjo
If anyone is still looking for a Wilcox & Gibbs there is one on EBAY for 1 more hour. 7pm CDT. It has a bid of $15.33 on it + 14.00 shipping.
Took me ages to find the listing but just sat deep breathing ,watching time pass and did not bid. Machine
looked in bad shape --went for $ 17.50 the last second.
Figue QB member bought it.

I picked up my Singer Treadle yesterday so have enough work for myself. Owner put varithane over the wood cabinet that I believe is mahogany (not usual oak) decals are well worn. Need to buy bobbins have only 1 shuttle
type #8228. Bare machine --1 needle.

Planning before /after photo's within a month. Maybe stormy weather will be over.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
A friend of ours is moving and gave me this Sewing Machine. From the copyright in the manual it is a 1956. Singer Model 319. I love it. I haven't sewn with her yet, but I will tomorrow. It has levers on the right hand side for embroidery. :D
Sweet!!! This is the first time I have seen the Fashion Disc box for the 300 series. You did wonderful on this machine and it is a melding of industrial and domestic all in one!

'Billy
Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 PM

Billy,
so glad you have time to join us --didn't know how much work around your place you would be busy with these days.
I will need your help later
Old 04-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by irishrose
Kas, As of 6ish last evening, Glen was okay, but had lost some trees. My son working in that area said the tornadoes weren't over when he (my son) was going out to start helping with the clean up. He called me at 6:30.
Thanks for the update! My mom and big sister are on the way to Andalusia where my sister lives. They have power down there.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Originally Posted by Kas
Have we heard from Glenn? I heard from my sister that Moores Mill Road, which is out by his house, got hit pretty hard. Glad to hear Billy is ok. 300,000 people without power.

I just found a 66 redeye with a backclamp foot and lots of extra feet in the box. It had an electric motor and the guy at the antique shop said it wasn't for sale because it didn't work! I am a terrible negotiator. It is missing the pin for the thread spool, but has the throat plate (even though it is rusty) which my other redeye is missing. How do I handle this guy? It is going to take lots of cleaning, but not as much as Helen required. I really don't want to spend more than $40 on it.
I would tell him that since it doesn't work, how about $30.00? You can always go up to $40.00 if you have to. Or offer $20.00 first and then go up from there.
Be persistent!!! If he doesn't sell the first time you visit, keep going back and asking until he gives in!! :-)
I almost went back today! I ran out of time with all the making of lunches, picking up of kids, and posting on here! The motor is silver and says Singer on it. The strange thing is it is on a swivel type thing. I am going to go back and pester him tomorrow! And I already have a backclamp red eye. This one just has prettier decals, it is in a box base, and it has the original slide plate.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
A friend of ours is moving and gave me this Sewing Machine. From the copyright in the manual it is a 1956. Singer Model 319. I love it. I haven't sewn with her yet, but I will tomorrow. It has levers on the right hand side for embroidery. :D
Yes, that's a good one and you gotta love the green Singers! Get some Tuff Stuff at the auto parts store and clean the machine with it. It will melt off the yellow/brown gunk on it's finish. Then you can shine it up with some boot polish, or Liquid Gold, or even just some sewing machine oil.

Lucky you!
I was on my way out the door to get some Tuff Stuff and my husband was using pledge to clean it. lol But there are still areas that he missed so I'll get some later and get it all cleaned. Thanks for the advice.

:)
Old 04-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
I've not used a double needle in my regular machine either....was just thinking about it as I have to be repairing a leg on my sons dress pants. I have no clue how to do it. You can see the double needle that threaded the rest of the seam. They don't have to be nice looking, it's just the bottom of one pant leg....but he has to have dress pants for his upcoming choir concert and he ripped the side seam on his only pair.

All of his ripped jeans are going to magically turn into shorts for the summer....mostly cause I don't know how to repair anything. I won't patch knees, been there done that...just gotta figure out this seam thing. Clothes are so much harder than quilts!
You can always fake the double stitching by doing two parallel lines of single stitching, one at a time. From the right side, no one would ever know.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Sweet!!! This is the first time I have seen the Fashion Disc box for the 300 series. You did wonderful on this machine and it is a melding of industrial and domestic all in one!

'Billy

Thank you very much. I'm really loving her. I played with her a little tonight she sews like a dream.
It also has a button holer, I forgot to put it in the picture.

:)
Old 04-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mornigstar
Billy,
so glad you have time to join us --didn't know how much work around your place you would be busy with these days.
I will need your help later
I will be here off and on for the next few weeks until I get everything settled in. And it feels so nice not to have to be watching the weather and running the family to the bathroom to hide from the tornadoes and straight line winds.

Billy
Old 04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Banned

I am glad that we know Glenn is okay, are there anymore that havent called or written in yet?