Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-30-2011, 09:53 PM

miriam, Is that Elna beige or gray? I'd say beige from the pic. If it is, it was made between 1959 and 1963. The grays were made in 63 and 64. It's a very nice looking machine. If it's half the machine my 1974 SU is, then you won't be disappointed. Mine is actually more beat up looking than yours, but it's done a lot in its years.

Mornigstar, My 1952 128 has a large hole just to the right of the spool spindle. My book says it is an oil hole. I would guessed from the size that it was a grease port, but apparently not.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay I am a happy camper today, I finally got to work on some machines today!!! And I got to play with my 328K for a little bit and I found out why it can go into a treadle. The bed on the regular Singer machines ate 14 1/2" and the 328K is like the Slant Shank machines and the bed measures 16 1/2". You have to take out the plate that the belt goes through and helps support the machine when you raise and lower it into the treadle. I will have to make another plate for my bench to use it in my treadle but it will work beautifully. :D

I removed all of the cords, pedal, the motor but kept the light so if I decide to put a cord on it I can and have a light on my machine. But I know I can not live with the blah grey color it is so I am going to paint it a Candy Brandywine ;)

Billy
Glad you are having fun with your 328. I like your idea of painting the ugly grey to a prettier color. You took the motor out?! Wow, that seems like too much work, at least for me it would be. Have fun treadling!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:17 PM

Purplefiend, Sharon, I'm happy to hear that you are ok too.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Just got word that McKenna is closing down her "Grandmother's" and "Necchilady" sites today due to dealing with nastiness from ill-mannered folk. If you look quick, you can see my "new" Howe A, currently residing in my LR:

http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine...treadle_2.html
I like your Howe A, beautiful!
Sad to hear this. I learned lots just from visiting her site. I read all of her pages. I would look at all the cool machines and then research on additional information on those that interested me the most. Bummers :(
Old 05-01-2011, 01:40 AM

Here is a link on how to load the open boat shuttle for machines like the new family of singer.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tam73501?feature=mhum
Old 05-01-2011, 03:39 AM

l have so enjoyed this site and collecting and cleaning my vintage sewing machines which l would not have beeen able to do without your instructions.
Elsie Blight
McLaren Vale
South Australia
Old 05-01-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Just got word that McKenna is closing down her "Grandmother's" and "Necchilady" sites today due to dealing with nastiness from ill-mannered folk. If you look quick, you can see my "new" Howe A, currently residing in my LR:

http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine...treadle_2.html
I like your Howe A, beautiful!
Sad to hear this. I learned lots just from visiting her site. I read all of her pages. I would look at all the cool machines and then research on additional information on those that interested me the most. Bummers :(
Hi MizJohnny,

What amazing pictures and information are at the two websites. I wrote her a email encouraging her not to stop her websites. It would be such a waste of her time and information about these machines. I just wouldn't want this to be lost. I have an older Necchi machine and didn't even know these sites existed. I've been encouraged as I read through her pages.

Hopefully she'll reconsider.

Pam M
Old 05-01-2011, 04:33 AM

I sewed last night on my Grand Rotary after rethreading according to the book instructions sent from RedbugSullivan!
Can't thank her enough! The machine sews such a great stitch now. Who would have thought that the thread crosses itself twice!! LOL! Such a fun HEAVY machine!
Old 05-01-2011, 04:35 AM

Congrats on the 1000 pages, Billy! I love this shop and usually read this before any other topic! Here's to two thousand!
Old 05-01-2011, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose
miriam, Is that Elna beige or gray? I'd say beige from the pic. If it is, it was made between 1959 and 1963. The grays were made in 63 and 64. It's a very nice looking machine. If it's half the machine my 1974 SU is, then you won't be disappointed. Mine is actually more beat up looking than yours, but it's done a lot in its years.

Mornigstar, My 1952 128 has a large hole just to the right of the spool spindle. My book says it is an oil hole. I would guessed from the size that it was a grease port, but apparently not.
Yes she is beige - the lighting for her glamor picture was horrible. She is not all beat up and yes it sews very nice. She fit in an old cabinet I had in the garage. She is very light weight - probably about 10 pounds or so. I had fits with the discs until I figured out there are two kinds of single discs. I have 4 other Elna machines. None of them work. Two are green and two SU machines from 70s or so. I loved my old SU machine. I beat her to pieces and wore out the motor so many times it isn't funny. Then the zigzag gear broke. Someone gave me a Viking so she set around a while. Two green ones need timing - both are seriously out of timing and the little drive wheels are both shot.
I have just found info how to fix - just haven't had time. One is a transformer and the other is a super. The other SU one is in great cosmetic shape but has a broken gear somewhere. She was from CL with no parts or case but I have all the parts. I'm hoping to get her to work and then sell/part out the rest of them but not until I get one working.