Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 151 of 4380 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 150 151 152 161 201 251 651 1151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 43792

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #1501
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by BKinCO
    Gee, Billy, what do you think???? :twisted:

    I like electricity, just like I like indoor plumbing ;)

    How do I tell the difference between a "G" and a "C" on the serial number????? I'm going with C but I'm not sure...
    It is more than likely a "G" I have run across a few machines that the "G" looked like a "C" but that was because the die was damaged during the stamping process. Post the serial and I can tell you from it which series it will come under.

    The "G" Series was the largest series done by Singer.


    Billy

  2. #1502
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by JCquilts
    can I do anything for the bed of the machine where the chip is?
    I am sooo sorry to hear that it was damaged when it was shipped to you. :cry: But at least you were able to keep the machine!!

    As far as the chips on the bed this might help you out and should be an easy fix.

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-46696-1.htm

    Now the Bentwood case......... the base should be relatively easy to fix just glue and a bunch of clamps but the lid might be tougher. You can always disassemble the top and get the correct size veneer or plywood ans soak it in water for a bit to soften it up then you nail it around the sides. Clamp it down so everything stays square and straight and let her dry for a few days. Refinish it and the base and it is fixed.

    Billy

  3. #1503
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    554
    I read that earlier Billy. Is that just a cosmetic fix, so it will look ok? These chips are rather deep so it is not flush with the rest.

    Am I understanding correctly that the paint will just make it LOOK better and there is nothing to be done about the big divits?

  4. #1504
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by JCquilts
    I read that earlier Billy. Is that just a cosmetic fix, so it will look ok? These chips are rather deep so it is not flush with the rest.

    Am I understanding correctly that the paint will just make it LOOK better and there is nothing to be done about the big divits?
    The only thing to do with the divits would take a glazing putty that you could fill in the divits then paint pen. But it would require sanding and a little experience in paint and body to do.

    The only other thing would be is to get the Gloss Black model paint in the small bottle and fill it using a tooth pick or paint brush going over it a few times to make sure it was filled.

    Billy

  5. #1505
    AshleyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO
    LOL, it took me literally ALL DAY! I would read a page here and there, and then this evening finished it off. I really wanted to share my machines, but I thought I should make sure the thread hadn't taken a strange direction in the interim. I'm sure you know what I mean! :lol:
    ***GASP**** Miz Ashley! Are you implying that this group goes off topic??? Well! I never!! (stay on topic!! ~grin~)

    :lol: ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:
    LOL I would never imply that!!

    I'm cleaning the Singer today... wish me luck! There isn't as much grime as I had originally thought there would be. The irons were hardly dusty at all. Someone loved this beauty until it ended up in that junky "antique" store (yes, quotes are necessary, since it can't be a real antique store with how they treat their items!) I think eventually I will have to take all the veneer off and re-do it. For now, clean, clean, and clean. :)

  6. #1506
    AshleyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    Ashley, your New Home most likely takes an obsolete needle. I had one like it that sewed fine, but I had only 3 or 4 needles to go with it. I finally put it on the raffle table at a TOGA. The needles do show up once in a while--check around and see if anyone has any!! Unfortunately my brain has limited storage, and I can't remember the # offhand, but perhaps someone else can chime in??
    Oh, that might be it! The one I put in is a 15x1, which seems to fit well, but I don't know much about it.

    I took the whole tension assembly apart and put it back together. Still nothing...

    Probably a dumb question, but when I turn the handwheel, should the bobbin move at all? It just sits there and does nothing. I wonder how the top thread can engage the bobbin thread if it doesn't move? Or maybe that's normal... lol

  7. #1507
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by BKinCO
    Gee, Billy, what do you think???? :twisted:

    I like electricity, just like I like indoor plumbing ;)

    How do I tell the difference between a "G" and a "C" on the serial number????? I'm going with C but I'm not sure...
    It is more than likely a "G" I have run across a few machines that the "G" looked like a "C" but that was because the die was damaged during the stamping process. Post the serial and I can tell you from it which series it will come under.

    The "G" Series was the largest series done by Singer.


    Billy
    OK the serial number looks like a C or a G followed by 8928845. I had to laugh at your comment about the can lid ~ I would have never figured out that's what that is...but now I've gone and looked and it appears to swing rather freely so I guess it'll come off easily...............

  8. #1508
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by BKinCO
    OK the serial number looks like a C or a G followed by 8928845. I had to laugh at your comment about the can lid ~ I would have never figured out that's what that is...but now I've gone and looked and it appears to swing rather freely so I guess it'll come off easily...............
    The "C" series was made in Germany and those records are los but I know for a fact that the Red Eye decals were only an American issued Decal. So if you could look at the numbers one more time for me and make sure you have them all and in the right order I think I can date it. But you do have a Model 66 Red Eye!!


    Billy

  9. #1509
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by BKinCO
    OK the serial number looks like a C or a G followed by 8928845. I had to laugh at your comment about the can lid ~ I would have never figured out that's what that is...but now I've gone and looked and it appears to swing rather freely so I guess it'll come off easily...............
    The "C" series was made in Germany and those records are los but I know for a fact that the Red Eye decals were only an American issued Decal. So if you could look at the numbers one more time for me and make sure you have them all and in the right order I think I can date it. But you do have a Model 66 Red Eye!!


    Billy
    Ok, kind sir....here's what I've got...

    I SWEAR it looks like 8928845............but upon further inspection that first 8 could be a 3...........but I really don't think so.

    Not much help, am I?

    I'll save all my dumb questions for you for after I go back through all 100 pages of this thread ;)

  10. #1510
    AshleyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    185
    Thought you guys could appreciate this picture I snapped earlier while making dinner...
    [IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...phinx013-1.jpg[/IMG]

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.