Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1511 of 4383 FirstFirst ... 511 1011 1411 1461 1501 1510 1511 1512 1521 1561 1611 2011 2511 ... LastLast
Results 15,101 to 15,110 of 43826

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #15101
    Senior Member kwendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Coastal Florida
    Posts
    956
    [quote=Mary M]Then is it a clone of a Singer? I have no instruction book for it so need to know how to thread it. Would any Singer manual help with this? I am anxious to try it but going to have it rewired first for the chord is very brittle. Mary

    [quote=BoJangles]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary M
    It is a Montgomery Ward machine made in Japan no. is H4810293
    I agree with Nancy, nice machine! Billy has said innumerable times that he really likes/even prefers his 15-91 Japanese clones over the Singer 15s. As I understand it, the threading is the same as for a Singer 15. At the very least, its a good start. You can get a free download of the Singer 15-91 manual here: http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/127_128.pdf

  2. #15102
    Senior Member Grandmother23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Port Sulphur, LA
    Posts
    311
    Blog Entries
    98
    [quote=miriam]
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmother23
    Quote Originally Posted by olebat
    Having an index to this thread would be the kiss of sweetness. I'm having rotten luck with key words in the search. I know I read about the insulation flaking off of the wires, and comments about lead - just don't eat it, but I can't locate that portion.

    I was thinking the same thing myself. Thinking about starting on page 1 and making notes of the topics in a database as there is sooooo much information and 500 pages later I remember reading something and have no clue where to find it.

    Lauren
    too many topic on this topic?
    Not really. I have read about a machine here, read the interesting comments, and move on. Later I find one to bring home and of course I then wish I had taken notes about it but at the time I didn't see it in my future. :lol:

    Lauren

  3. #15103
    Senior Member Weedwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    393
    I'm still in need of the little screw that is in the clutch nut of a Singer 99k. I've looked everywhere and to no avail. If anybody has one they will sell, plese PM me. TIA

  4. #15104
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary M
    H, no I didn't post a picture just some info. Here are a couple pics. The machine is in great condition but the case I think may be shot. It is a Montgomery Ward machine made in Japan no. is H4810293


    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary M
    Would like some help in getting more information on a pretty black lady that my daughter brought to me. It is a Montgomery Wards H4810293 made in Japan. Thasnk you, Mary
    Mary did you post a picture that I missed?

    Nancy
    Very cute machine. I'm also interested in hearing about it.

  5. #15105
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Well, I found out that the zipper/cording foot I bought online described as for my 301 doesn't work with it!! The needle hits the foot. What could be causing that?
    301 is a slant-o-matic foot - don't know what the other machine is but it isn't likely the feet interchange
    Yes, I know my 301 is a slant shank, and the foot was advertised as being for a 301. It's an adjustable (side to side) zipper/cording foot. When I lower it, it settles, and then it slides a little forward from the hinge pin in the back. I should take a picture. I will tonite if I remember. Anyway, it comes too far forward, and the needle hits the foot before it gets to the hole.

  6. #15106
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kwendt
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Well, I found out that the zipper/cording foot I bought online described as for my 301 doesn't work with it!! The needle hits the foot. What could be causing that?
    301 is a slant-o-matic foot - don't know what the other machine is but it isn't likely the feet interchange
    I have both slant foot machines (301, 403) and low shank 'straight' foot machines (66, 15-91s) and the feet are not interchangable between the two types. (um and there are LOTS and lots of folks on this thread/board that have way more machines and experience than I do!) They'll tell you the same.

    Actually, there are at least 4 styles of basic machine feet that I know of (snap on, low shank, high shank, slant) but there are probably many more, especially with newer machines.

    But, in regards to the old style/vintage machines, there are readily available feet out there made to fit each style. Learn which style/type your machine calls for. Then it's a case of reading the ebay descriptions very carefully - some of those descriptions are vague!

    Perhaps you can contact the seller and offer an exchange? You'll send back the foot that doesn't fit, if s/he will send you the slant version? Was it a special type of zipper foot? I have several sets of 301 feet, and some extras... if I have a z foot you can use, I'll gladly send it to you...
    Thanks for your very generous offer!!! The foot I ordered is for my 301, and advertised as being specifically for a 301. I am puzzled why it is not fitting correctly. I only fiddled with it for a few minutes...my Grandaughter was over and wanted to sew a zipper into some shorts she is making. We couldn't get the foot to work properly, so just stopped fussing with it. I'll try to figure out if I put it on wrong, or if it can be adjusted differently. It does adjust from side to side, so I wonder if I can fine-adjust it so the needle won't hit the foot. I'll keep trying. I'll also take a pic tonite (if I remember!) and put it up if I can't get it to work. Maybe one of you can help, or maybe I need to send it back...it could be he sent the wrong foot!
    I appreciate everyone's comments...

  7. #15107
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,210
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by kwendt
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Well, I found out that the zipper/cording foot I bought online described as for my 301 doesn't work with it!! The needle hits the foot. What could be causing that?
    301 is a slant-o-matic foot - don't know what the other machine is but it isn't likely the feet interchange
    I have both slant foot machines (301, 403) and low shank 'straight' foot machines (66, 15-91s) and the feet are not interchangable between the two types. (um and there are LOTS and lots of folks on this thread/board that have way more machines and experience than I do!) They'll tell you the same.

    Actually, there are at least 4 styles of basic machine feet that I know of (snap on, low shank, high shank, slant) but there are probably many more, especially with newer machines.

    But, in regards to the old style/vintage machines, there are readily available feet out there made to fit each style. Learn which style/type your machine calls for. Then it's a case of reading the ebay descriptions very carefully - some of those descriptions are vague!

    Perhaps you can contact the seller and offer an exchange? You'll send back the foot that doesn't fit, if s/he will send you the slant version? Was it a special type of zipper foot? I have several sets of 301 feet, and some extras... if I have a z foot you can use, I'll gladly send it to you...
    Thanks for your very generous offer!!! The foot I ordered is for my 301, and advertised as being specifically for a 301. I am puzzled why it is not fitting correctly. I only fiddled with it for a few minutes...my Grandaughter was over and wanted to sew a zipper into some shorts she is making. We couldn't get the foot to work properly, so just stopped fussing with it. I'll try to figure out if I put it on wrong, or if it can be adjusted differently. It does adjust from side to side, so I wonder if I can fine-adjust it so the needle won't hit the foot. I'll keep trying. I'll also take a pic tonite (if I remember!) and put it up if I can't get it to work. Maybe one of you can help, or maybe I need to send it back...it could be he sent the wrong foot!
    I appreciate everyone's comments...
    I wonder if someone sent you the wrong foot. Does it go down all the way?

  8. #15108
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Posts
    6,506
    Blog Entries
    44
    It is amazing to try and keep up on this thread if one drops out for just a few days. Jljack, I think you said a few pages back that you were embarrassed that you have had a vintage machine for a year and haven't done anything with it.

    GUILTY here :oops: :oops: :oops: ...many times over. Sew much to do and sew little time to sew...

  9. #15109
    Member Ohio Star Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by olebat
    Having an index to this thread would be the kiss of sweetness. I'm having rotten luck with key words in the search. I know I read about the insulation flaking off of the wires, and comments about lead - just don't eat it, but I can't locate that portion.

    While servicing my FW this weekend, the flakes were falling into the gears. I was camping, so didn't have everything I needed for the job at hand. I just picked the flakes out with a pin, and carried on with the lube job. At the time I read the thread, I was unaware of the flakes, now I have a need to know.

    Should I rewire the machine? Is that something which can be done by a good handyman, or do I need to pay a sewing machine specialist more than I paid for the machine to do the job? It's a great little machine and I like to keep it up, but that stitch in time thing is nagging me.
    It started with a post by Lucky Patsys Mom on page 970. I own a 1948 Featherweight and mine was doing this also when I first got mine. Don't know what year yours was made but on mine the "insulation" is actually a metal tube that the wire goes up thru to protect the wire from the gears. Just clean the flaking off the metal tube with a soft brush and wipe up with a damp paper towel. I didn't rewire my machine but the wires weren't brittle or cracked or the copper wire exposed either and all the connections were tight. I've had mine over a year and used it a lot and have had no problem.
    It's your call but the flaking on the metal tube is just lead paint.
    There is a Featherweight Yahoo group you can join and learn all about your Featherweight.
    Hope this helps, Judy

    Judy

  10. #15110
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,573
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary M
    Then is it a clone of a Singer? I have no instruction book for it so need to know how to thread it. Would any Singer manual help with this? Thank you so very much for the info. I am anxious to try it but going to have it rewired first for the chord is very brittle. Mary
    Yes, it is a Singer Model 15 clone, and will thread the same way a Singer 15 threads!

    Nancy

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.