Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-11-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
The broken piece can be fixed, I really like the old machine. I would not have passed it up either. Glenn

What product would you recommend to fix it??

Thanks,

Jan
Since the piece is not structural I would use a good grade of epoxy such as a metal epoxy it is gray in color when mixed. JB weld is a good one, then sand smooth to match the surrounding area then paint black to to match the machine. Of course the machine needs to cleaned first using Billy's tute's. Just a thin coat on both surfaces to be mated hold in place for about 5 min. then let cure over night. If very carefull you will not see the repair. Glenn
Thanks so much. I will keep you posted. I have it sitting after a mega dose of lubricating oil. Maybe that will free some things up. She was BONE DRY.

Jan
Old 05-11-2011, 04:18 PM

The broken piece can be fixed, I really like the old machine. I would not have passed it up either. Glenn

What product would you recommend to fix it??

Thanks,

Jan
Since the piece is not structural I would use a good grade of epoxy such as a metal epoxy it is gray in color when mixed. JB weld is a good one, then sand smooth to match the surrounding area then paint black to to match the machine. Of course the machine needs to cleaned first using Billy's tute's. Just a thin coat on both surfaces to be mated hold in place for about 5 min. then let cure over night. If very carefull you will not see the repair. Glenn
Thanks so much. I will keep you posted. I have it sitting after a mega dose of lubricating oil. Maybe that will free some things up. She was BONE DRY.

Jan
If the oil does not work try karosene to loosen it up. Billy taught us this. glenn
Old 05-11-2011, 04:22 PM

You can have the piece welded but then you have to deal with the welding scar and grounding it down smooth. For such a small repair just use the JB weld epoxy. Glenn
Old 05-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Billy, please take care of yourself and don't try to do too much, too soon.

Lucy
Old 05-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Kathie, the before and after pictures are awesome. That is one beautiful machine. I especially like the wood decals on the end of the machine. Lucky you.

Lucy
Old 05-11-2011, 04:38 PM

Kerosene is the plan for this weekend. I'm rereading Billy's tutorials again tonight.

Jan
Old 05-11-2011, 04:45 PM

Kerosene is the plan for this weekend. I'm rereading Billy's tutorials again tonight.

Jan
I'm in awe of you, Jan! That machine looks so rusty and lost.... it will be great once you fix it up! But man, what a job! lol.

It will be great!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Trish, you have one great little machine there. The colors of the decals are so pretty. It looks as though it is in great condition. Lucy
Old 05-11-2011, 05:01 PM

Don't be in too much awe--It is not cranking yet. I sure hope I can get the rusty parts loosened up this weekend. I just love the metal base that got broken.

Jan
Old 05-11-2011, 05:10 PM

You can have the piece welded but then you have to deal with the welding scar and grounding it down smooth. For such a small repair just use the JB weld epoxy. Glenn
Jan, I agree with Glenn. Go get some JB Weld - it's amazing stuff and will hold as long as you let is cure properly. Make sure to wipe away any excess along the crack line and you won't even notice the break.

How do you plan to clean the rusted areas?

Judy