Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1562 of 4372 FirstFirst ... 562 1062 1462 1512 1552 1561 1562 1563 1572 1612 1662 2062 2562 ... LastLast
Results 15,611 to 15,620 of 43719

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    The broken piece can be fixed, I really like the old machine. I would not have passed it up either. Glenn

What product would you recommend to fix it??

Thanks,

Jan
    Since the piece is not structural I would use a good grade of epoxy such as a metal epoxy it is gray in color when mixed. JB weld is a good one, then sand smooth to match the surrounding area then paint black to to match the machine. Of course the machine needs to cleaned first using Billy's tute's. Just a thin coat on both surfaces to be mated hold in place for about 5 min. then let cure over night. If very carefull you will not see the repair. Glenn
    Thanks so much. I will keep you posted. I have it sitting after a mega dose of lubricating oil. Maybe that will free some things up. She was BONE DRY.

Jan

Blog Entries
    The broken piece can be fixed, I really like the old machine. I would not have passed it up either. Glenn

What product would you recommend to fix it??

Thanks,

Jan
    Since the piece is not structural I would use a good grade of epoxy such as a metal epoxy it is gray in color when mixed. JB weld is a good one, then sand smooth to match the surrounding area then paint black to to match the machine. Of course the machine needs to cleaned first using Billy's tute's. Just a thin coat on both surfaces to be mated hold in place for about 5 min. then let cure over night. If very carefull you will not see the repair. Glenn
    Thanks so much. I will keep you posted. I have it sitting after a mega dose of lubricating oil. Maybe that will free some things up. She was BONE DRY.

Jan
    If the oil does not work try karosene to loosen it up. Billy taught us this. glenn

Blog Entries
    You can have the piece welded but then you have to deal with the welding scar and grounding it down smooth. For such a small repair just use the JB weld epoxy. Glenn

Blog Entries
    Billy, please take care of yourself and don't try to do too much, too soon.

Lucy

Blog Entries
    Kathie, the before and after pictures are awesome. That is one beautiful machine. I especially like the wood decals on the end of the machine. Lucky you.

Lucy

Blog Entries
    Kerosene is the plan for this weekend. I'm rereading Billy's tutorials again tonight.

Jan

Kerosene is the plan for this weekend. I'm rereading Billy's tutorials again tonight.

Jan
    I'm in awe of you, Jan! That machine looks so rusty and lost.... it will be great once you fix it up! But man, what a job! lol.

It will be great!!!

Blog Entries
    Trish, you have one great little machine there. The colors of the decals are so pretty. It looks as though it is in great condition. Lucy

Blog Entries
    Don't be in too much awe--It is not cranking yet. I sure hope I can get the rusty parts loosened up this weekend. I just love the metal base that got broken.

Jan

Blog Entries
    You can have the piece welded but then you have to deal with the welding scar and grounding it down smooth. For such a small repair just use the JB weld epoxy. Glenn
    Jan, I agree with Glenn. Go get some JB Weld - it's amazing stuff and will hold as long as you let is cure properly. Make sure to wipe away any excess along the crack line and you won't even notice the break.

How do you plan to clean the rusted areas?

Judy