Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-13-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by MarieM
Advice Please: I currently have a Singer 66. I'm thinking of looking at a Singer 15-91. The ad says it is in "beautiful condition" and they are asking $125. I have a very small home and sewing area so if I got the 15, I'd probably try to sell the 66. What are the differences in these machines, is there anything I need to be aware of before I call/look at the 15?

Thanks for you feed back.
Marie
Marie, it depends on what you are doing with the machines. I would take the 15 over the 66 simply because it drops its feed dogs - the 66 does not drop the feed dogs - for free motion quilting. Depending on how old your 66 is, it may or may not have a reverse, but the 15 should have reverse! You will know when you see it. So you should go look at the 15 and compare features. Also, depending on the age of your 66 whether it takes side clamping feet -- the 15 does take side clamping feet so getting new feet is not an issue. They both take a very common bobbin, the 15 takes a Class 15, the 66 takes a Class 66 (same as the 99). Also, what comes with the 15 - extra feet? I'd take the 15 if it were me unless you just want ornate? The 15 is very plain compared to the early Sphinx, Lotus, Redeyes' of the 66.

Nancy
Nancy and Glenn,

Thanks for your input on the 15/66 delma. According to the add it has "accessoreis", the manual, case and a vintage iron. I think it will call on it and see if I can take a look at it tomorrow or Sunday. My 66 is 1957 model, and has a black crinkle finish. The motor broke in shipping (long story) so I replaced it and it really shakes in the cabinet when I sew w/it. It may be just an adjustment.

I use a Necchi (not vintage) for some of my piecing and of course for hemming jeans. Of course if I had more space I'd just get it and keep both, but my little sewing area is so small, I'm just not sure where I'd find to put another one. Soon I'll have to decide between my stash and a place to put another machine.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Darcene
I will be going back for them....they deserve better...
I will also check out the inside of the shop and let you know what I find....this particular shop owner made a remark to another buyer at an auction recently...he was seated behind me while I was bidding on machines...the comment was something along the line of " I have way too many old machines and I can't give them away"....I am quite sure that he meant for me to hear him..he and I have a tense relationship based over close to 30 yrs now...I have no idea what he will try in the way of pricing, but we will see..... :?
Well... if he gives any 'away' to you.... and you find you don't need/want them, I BET you there are plenty of us on this list that would pay the postage/etc. to get one from you. Salvage what you can... good going.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by MarieM
Advice Please: I currently have a Singer 66. I'm thinking of looking at a Singer 15-91. The ad says it is in "beautiful condition" and they are asking $125. I have a very small home and sewing area so if I got the 15, I'd probably try to sell the 66. What are the differences in these machines, is there anything I need to be aware of before I call/look at the 15? Marie
If I had to make a choice between the 66 and 15 I would keep the 66. I think the 66"s are wonderful machines. I have three of them. They are also easy to service yourself. glenn
Hi Marie. I guess it depends on what kind of sewing you'll do. Does your 66 have backtack/reverse? The 66-16 and later does, I believe. The 15-91's have reverse. Stitch length mechanisms may be similar or totally different. The 15-91s can drop feed dogs. I don't know if the 66 you have does. Which model of 66 is it?

In general, they are similar machines, and I believe... someone catch me if I'm wrong on this.... but I believe that the later 66's and the 15's will fit in the same cabinets (hinge plates/screws in same places). So you could keep ONE cabinet, but swap out machine heads as you wanted/needed.

In case you don't know, or someone hasn't mentioned it to you already....

Some of the 'mid' 66's like the 66-6 are electric (I have one).... but have the wiring done a little differently than the later 66's.

My 66-6 does NOT have a removable foot controller. (Most of the later 66's and the 15-91s in cabinets, DO have a floor foot controller mounted on a metal clip/plate on the inside of the cabinet. The knee lever of the cabinet merely presses the foot controller button to make it go. Therefore, if for some reason, you wanted to slide that foot controller off the plate and set it on the floor to use - you can. It's meant to use either on the floor or with the cabinet knee mechanism. That might be something that you'll want to think about in making your choices.

A lot is going to depend on your sewing needs, what you have space for, and simply what machine 'feels' right to you.
Good luck!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:54 AM

[quote=MarieM][quote=BoJangles]
Marie, it depends on what you are doing with the machines. I would take the 15 over the 66 simply because it drops its feed dogs - the 66 does not drop the feed dogs - for free motion quilting.

Here are a few other points:

The class 15 bobbin is slightly larger and holds more thread. The 15-91s have the bobbin going in vertically, not drop in horizontally like the 66's. This can be helpful, especially in FMQ, because the thread path doesn't need to take that 90 degree turn as it sews (the 66's, and any horizontal bobbin machine... the thread turns a 90 before creating the stitch). It's a tension thing when quilting lots of layers... or sewing flat felled jeans seams.

Since your 66 is from 1957, it has side clamping feet too. The same attachments will fit both machines. Your later 66 prob. has the stitch length with numbers and reverse.

As far as shaking the cabinet when it sews... is it actually mounted in a cabinet? Or just sitting on top of a surface? I would mount it in a cabinet. The machines are heavy and the rocker motion of them sewing is 'heavy' too. Just sitting on top of a surface, I'd bet would create the wobbles on both machines. With the heavy machines, mounting is the way to go. My big (new) Janome just sits in my Horn cabinet. But all my full sized, old girls... are all mounted and the grub screws are screwed into the hinges on the cabinet.... when I use them. If you don't have a singer cabinet, find a local sew friend who does. Swap out her/his singer head for yours, and try it out. Does it still wobble?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
My BFF and I went shopping yesterday and I found a Singer treadle machine that seems to be in fairly good shape.
According to the Singer website it is a model 15k manufactured in Scotland in December 1947.
Mom6, is it a 15-88? It must be, that is a great machine! It takes modern low shank, side clamping feet - the same feet the FW takes - it drops its feed dogs for free motion quilting, and it has a reverse! Nancy
Wow... interesting. I just saw an ad on Craigslist for a 15K too. I was really interested in it, since it was a little different from the US 15's.... a new model in age, but also was a treadle. Can't wait to see the pictures of the one you found!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by irishrose
The little blonde cabinet I bought today for $1 is by Sears and Roebuck in that limed finish popular in the late 50s. Very modern looking. The opening is 16 3/4 by 7 3/8. The hinges are 9 1/2" on center so the 128 would fit, but it's not a good cabinet for her. Too top heavy on the spindly legs. I'm thinking I need to build a platform inside for the 301. The tan 301 with it's straighter lines would be a better fit cosmetically, too. Fun and games.
I agree with you the 128 is a heavy bugger and the 301 would look better in the blonde cabinet. The fitting issue of the 301 would not be much of a problem. Glenn
So true. The blonde cabinets do look better with the Oyster/tan/mocha machines-IMHO. My MIL has a black 99k in a blonde cabinet...that just looks odd to me. Funny.

Irishrose... sounds like a cool idea. Yes, the 301 mounting plate is great in the Singer cabinets, cause you can click the 301 in and out so easily. But what you're doing is just as if! Lift, encase and go...

Actually, I just put my 301 up in my old Kenmore Desk sewing cabinet. I found that both the 301 and the 403 fit in the opening (there already IS a shelf under there). Nice. I can swap out all the machines, well... the newer ones anyways.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 AM

[quote=kwendt][quote=MarieM]
Marie, it depends on what you are doing with the machines. I would take the 15 over the 66 simply because it drops its feed dogs - the 66 does not drop the feed dogs - for free motion quilting.

The class 15 bobbin is slightly larger and holds more thread. The 15-91s have the bobbin going in vertically, not drop in horizontally like the 66's. This can be helpful, especially in FMQ, because the thread path doesn't need to take that 90 degree turn as it sews (the 66's, and any horizontal bobbin machine... the thread turns a 90 before creating the stitch). It's a tension thing when quilting lots of layers... or sewing flat felled jeans seams.

Since your 66 is from 1957, it has side clamping feet too. The same attachments will fit both machines. Your later 66 prob. has the stitch length with numbers and reverse.

As far as shaking the cabinet when it sews... is it actually mounted in a cabinet? Or just sitting on top of a surface? I would mount it in a cabinet. The machines are heavy and the rocker motion of them sewing is 'heavy' too. Just sitting on top of a surface, I'd bet would create the wobbles on both machines. With the heavy machines, mounting is the way to go. My big (new) Janome just sits in my Horn cabinet. But all my full sized, old girls... are all mounted and the grub screws are screwed into the hinges on the cabinet.... when I use them. If you don't have a singer cabinet, find a local sew friend who does. Swap out her/his singer head for yours, and try it out. Does it still wobble?
My Singer 66-16 has the drop in bobbin. The machine guy says in order to do FMQ, the feed dogs have to be removed. Apparently, they just unscrew and pop out. I certainly haven't tried it yet. I know a 15-91 would probably be better to FMQ with. Is FMQ impossible with the horizontal drop in bobbin vs. the vertical one?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Originally Posted by kwendt
My Singer 66-16 has the drop in bobbin. The machine guy says in order to do FMQ, the feed dogs have to be removed. Apparently, they just unscrew and pop out. I certainly haven't tried it yet. I know a 15-91 would probably be better to FMQ with. Is FMQ impossible with the horizontal drop in bobbin vs. the vertical one?
No it's not impossible. It IS certainly possible to FMQ with a 66-16 and many people do. I have not, but I bet Glenn has. The 66-16's are really good machines to have. For quilting/sewing, it seems like people tend to prefer/advise that you use a 15-91, or 66-16, or a 201 - in that order. (That is, of all the old iron ladies). There are others who point out the merits of the 301's (featherweight big sisters), the 401s and 501 Rocketeers. Those are cast aluminum bodies and lighter weight.

The old iron gals have that fabulous, unbeatable straight stitch and so much weight, that my big queen sized quilts don't faze it. I don't have problems with the weight of the materials pulling the machine to the side, or my stitching!, to the side as I go. A REAL plus. But that's just me.

The 15-91 feed dogs have an actual large thumb screw on the bottom (lift up/tilt back the machine) and unscrew the knob with your fingers. As you do, the dogs lower ... you can make them higher/lower - totally adjustable. Come to think of it, if you're sewing really light chiffon or something, you'd want to lower the dogs just slightly so as to not damage the fabric. The 15 will do that.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Oh... I'm sorry, Marie. Another thing. There's a feed dog cover plate that you can put on top of the feed dogs on a 16. You can find covers with the button hole attachments or the darners. I would think you might could use those too?

Glenn? Everyone? Is that true and can be done? I'm not sure if the fabrics would 'snag' on the cover's edges?

I just went and checked my 66 buttonholer and attachments. The button holer's feed cover is long and rectangular - screws into the bed. So I bet the SCREW used to attach the cover to the bed of the machine gets in the way. Right? Bummer.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:36 AM

[quote=kwendt][quote=MarieM]

My 66 is mounted in the cabinet. Since the motor was broken when I got it, I don't really know if it was wobbly before I put the new motor on it.

Anyway, I've decided to call on the machine, if it is still there I'll go and check it out then decide. I'll let you know who everything turns out.

Thanks to everyone for there input.

Marie