Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-13-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Cute! That would look very nice in a sewing room with a couple of vintage machines on bookcase as well as a couple of treadles. Thanks for posting. I'm always looking for ideas and love to see what others have done.

Interesting substitute for the treadle belt. I read somewhere of a person that uses aquarium hose for their treadle belts.
So, how well does it work?
Overall, the hose works very well. There are a few "operator errors" that do cause it to slip out of the handwheel groove(going backwards seems to be a no-no) but, I ain't complaining as it only cost me just over $2 for this fix. Just slip it back in and off I go, hopefully forward. :wink:
I have a lot of hose like this maybe I should give it a try. Although my singer store has plenty of leather belts for 5 Bucks. glenn
Old 05-13-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
When I got the machine, I got a zig zag foot to go with it because it measures a perfect scant 1/4' even if the machine itself doesn't zig zag. I also bought a walking foot for it because I really want to be able to do straight stitch quilting and a walking foot would accommodate that. I haven't bought a darning foot yet, mostly because there were 3 to choose from and I don't have a quilt sandwich to practice on. I'm curious about FMQ, but not able to try it yet.

I had not before seen a sewing machine that didn't have zig zag on it, though now I realize they also have machines that don't have reverse. I'm learning a TON reading this shop. When the time comes, I hope I'll figure out if it can FMQ or not.

I know Glenn really likes his 66 and can't wait to hear his opinion on FMQ on the 66.
I free motion quilt all the time with my 66.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:51 PM

Went into the DAV thrift store to find a sweat shirt for the granddaughter. It's cold and windy here today, but all the winter stuff is gone. However I had to saunter back to the elecronic stuff and there she was ...a Bernina Bernette 705 sm. No bobbin case, bobbin or foot,so marked down to $30. Now sitting in my house, lol.
Tommie in KS with the heat on!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:04 PM

i am looking on a new singer , sphnix i believe for a serial number.. cann anyone help with this?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196638.jpe  
Old 05-13-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Jan in Texas here, doing the Happy Dance. My little broken base hand crank is now freewheeling !!! She purrs like a kitten!! Still have some screws to get loose, but her ID number is 1531103. Her shuttle says "Eldredge" on her, so she is either Eldredge or National. Does anyone have info on these numbers??? Tomorrow the kerosene bath. Maybe more screws will loosen after that.
I am so glad you are free wheeling now, keep on going and you will have a nice machine. Glenn
I do hope so!!! I'm working on digitally redoing the decals. Here is a rough draft of the first one. One is the before picture, the other is the redone one.

Jan
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196641.jpe   attachment-196642.jpe  
Old 05-13-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by mpeters1200
My Singer 66-16 has the drop in bobbin. The machine guy says in order to do FMQ, the feed dogs have to be removed. Apparently, they just unscrew and pop out. I certainly haven't tried it yet. I know a 15-91 would probably be better to FMQ with. Is FMQ impossible with the horizontal drop in bobbin vs. the vertical one?
Oh... I'm sorry, Marie. Another thing. There's a feed dog cover plate that you can put on top of the feed dogs on a 16. You can find covers with the button hole attachments or the darners. I would think you might could use those too?

Glenn? Everyone? Is that true and can be done? I'm not sure if the fabrics would 'snag' on the cover's edges?

I just went and checked my 66 buttonholer and attachments. The button holer's feed cover is long and rectangular - screws into the bed. So I bet the SCREW used to attach the cover to the bed of the machine gets in the way. Right? Bummer.
If you release all the tension on the presure foot so the fabric moves freely you can free motion quilt. And yes there is an embroidery cover that can be put on over the feed dogs and you can free motion quilt all daylong. It covers the feed dogs. This cover is available for the 66's and is universal (don't need to worry about the side or back clamp. I free motion quilt all the time on my 66. Glenn
Here is the pic of the attachment I often use for free motion quilting

darning plate for the 66
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196649[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196643.jpe  
Old 05-13-2011, 05:12 PM

Jan in Texas here, doing the Happy Dance. My little broken base hand crank is now freewheeling !!! She purrs like a kitten!! Still have some screws to get loose, but her ID number is 1531103. Her shuttle says "Eldredge" on her, so she is either Eldredge or National. Does anyone have info on these numbers??? Tomorrow the kerosene bath. Maybe more screws will loosen after that.
I am so glad you are free wheeling now, keep on going and you will have a nice machine. Glenn
I do hope so!!! I'm working on digitally redoing the decals. Here is a rough draft of the first one. One is the before picture, the other is the redone one.

Jan
Are you going to try to make water slide decals from them? They havev special paper for the printer for this but I have never tried it. Your after looks good. Glenn
Old 05-13-2011, 05:22 PM

Jan[/quote]

Looking fantastic!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:37 PM

Are you going to try to make water slide decals from them? They havev special paper for the printer for this but I have never tried it. Your after looks good. Glenn[/quote]

I'm thinking about it. There are so many decals that are ruined, and with the rust, I don't have much choice but to try.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by colleen53
i am looking on a new singer , sphnix i believe for a serial number.. cann anyone help with this?
Colleen, look on the base just below the stitch regulater you should see a plate with the serial number on it. After you locate it go to Singer Serials numbers on the internet and you should find out all about your machine. Kathie