Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by MarieM
Good evening all, I mentioned last Friday that I was calling on a Singer 15-91. I went today to take a look at it, very clean, started right up so I brought her home. Lots of attachments and accessoreis came with it. My question is this. If a machine is running well should it be dismanteled and cleaned or can I just oil her up and give her an exterior clean and shine? Also I know in Billy's lessons he uses brass cleaner on the badge, my new machine has a centenal badge so I didn't know if I should use brass cleaner on it or not. If not what do you recommend?

Thanks for the input and I'll post pictures this weekend.
Congrats!! I wouldn't use Brasso on a Centenial badge, and I've yet to give one of my machines a kerosene bath. It's not necessary for every old machine. They're all in fine condition and run like tops. :)
I have a Centennial 66 that I am going to Brasso the snot out of the badge! :lol: But it is in need of some serious cleaning. I guess it is just me but I give all of my machines the Kerosene bath just because I want a clean fresh new machine to start with for the base line. I do not dunk the entire machine in the Kerosene but just wash the mechanics with it and put a little in the oil holes to make sure the gunk is out. But that is just me and my preference.

Billy
Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
...Actually I contemplated a visit to the US 'if' I decided to get my machine stretched, pre-arrange with Rick at WOW, drop the machine to him, do the tourist bit and when he's finished, jump on a plane back home. At least I would have got something out of it rather than pay all those $$$'s for shipping.

Shipping within Australia is reasonable too, because I bought the Brother on eBay from the west coast (I live on the east coast) and shipping with full insurance was around $65 (from memory) and only took 4 days to get here. It would have taken me 5 days each way to drive and I'd hate to imagine how much for petrol.

Bronwyn ;-)
Thank you for sharing about Australia. That is one of the great things about this board... learning how things are done in other countries and also that many things are very similar to our own country. I have never traveled out of the US. My DH won't fly and I won't get on an oceanliner. That somewhat limits our travels. But, then again, there are so many beautiful things to see and enjoy here. I am sure that is true for you in Australia. :-D :-D
Old 05-19-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I am looking at a Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine Model 30 to purchase for my grandkids. It looks like a work horse and indestructible. Anyone have one?
I have one just like it. Bought it some years ago before I got into collecting much. I just had to have it because it's bounces from being totally ugly to totally cool. I just couldn't decide what it was but I knew I wanted it. I have to admit I have not sewn with it. I just look at it everyday along with some of my others. I think I might have an addiction of some sort. lol
Oh dear, I wonder if you do have an addiction?!? Hmmm...

I agree with you... it bounces from being totally ugly to totally cool. There is something about it that is attractive. I also have my 5 year old grandson in mind. He is a mechanically-minded little guy. Dials, gears, levers are a complete attraction magnet for him. His wonderful Mom is not a sewer so I want to put something in her hands that is not a headache if he decides it needs adjusting. Something that can be fixed easily when Grandma arrives! His favorite thing when I come to visit is my sewing machine... which ever one I want to bring. I definitely want to keep that interest growing. :-D
Old 05-19-2011, 08:15 PM

[quote=miriam]
Originally Posted by miriam
I am looking at a Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine Model 30 to purchase for my grandkids. It looks like a work horse and indestructible. Anyone have one?
I had one of those - it was a Montgomery Ward - not sure what model though. The machine was out in the screened porch - I was working on it - learned a lot - got it almost working, too. Then someone threw it through the patio glass and broke in my house. The poor machine was ruined - it landed on the balance wheel - hard - snapped it off.

:shock: :shock: Shaking my head in disbelief... a double insult, for sure...(
I'm very glad DH found the mess and took care of a lot of it before I got home. They did steal all of MY tools and a bunch of sewing machine parts I had in the tool box. They took my Mac too - lost all the pictures of my GKs. The rest was DAMAGE. The insurance paid for all of it.

The Montgomery Ward was driven by a little rubber wheel... T here is some coolness factor to those though - I called it The Stealth.

You can still find Singer 404's pretty cheap - those are my pick for a kid to learn on. They are a lot like a Singer 301 - they have a drop in bobbin and no carry handle - they are about the same weight and size. Easy to use. They, too have a slant needle so the kid can see what they are doing. There are parts for these.

I sold a REALLY cool machine called a Belaire to my boss a couple years ago. He said his wife almost left him when he brought it home... It was candy apple red and white - looked like a car. He fell in love with it...

Then, later I found a metalic gray and white just about like the Belaire it was called a Wizard. Those were made in Japan and are a good sturdy machine. Probably came out of the same plant but went to different stores and they put what ever name they wanted on them. I think they might be fun for a kid to sew on. Pretty easy to use. For sure appeal to a guy. Runs like a sewing machine.

Just for laughs, here is the ad I wrote when I sold the gray one:
Vintage late 1950's cream puff
Paint in mint shape
Original two tone dazzling grey and cream paint.
Classic and functional piece of equipment
Rich showcase passion condition
One owner
(Grandma's)
Chrome & heavy metal!
Well-engineered
One foot petal
All original accessories
Custom cover in excellent condition
This machine purrs like the well-crafted piece of machinery it is.
It feels "quality", if you know what I mean.
This machine will definitely be in your "keeper" list.
Would be great in a show just like it is
They just don’t make ‘em like that anymore.
Runs like a sewing machine...
Meet the Wizard!!!!

Then I had a picture of the machine. Craig's List made me change the ad - thought it was too misleading. Some people have NO sense of humor..........
CRAIGSLIST made you change your ad. I haven't heard of them doing that. Seems like your ad was pretty inventive... lol, lol :wink:
Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 PM

Hi,

I have a featherweight and just purchased a black 301 in
excellent condition....but I have a question...read that all the
little oiling holes should have wicks in them....one or 2 of mine
don't....it that OK or are they a necessity? If so where would
I get them?

Thanks,
Peg
Old 05-19-2011, 08:42 PM

It has been awhile since my last visit, Wow the pages keep coming.
I am looking for a tension spring, the one the thread goes through for my Singer 27. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get one that works, I got one off of e-bay but it is wrong and I tried to modify it to work but failed at my attempts. Thanks Pat
Old 05-19-2011, 11:11 PM

I am looking for a light "cover" for my 15-91. The light itself works fine, just the cover is missing. Does anyone have one or know where I can get one? I've search several sites and can find the whole light kit but no cover.

Thanks, everyone. I am learning sooooo much from this Board!!! :)
Old 05-19-2011, 11:54 PM

I found this on our local Craig's List. Asking $175. Haven't talked to them yet re: details so wanted to see if anyone can tell brand/model by the photos?

Thanks for any info you can give me. I have decisions to make on a couple of others by tomorrow nite. (sigh)

http://jackson.craigslist.org/atq/2390482085.html
Old 05-20-2011, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
I found this on our local Craig's List. Asking $175. Haven't talked to them yet re: details so wanted to see if anyone can tell brand/model by the photos?

Thanks for any info you can give me. I have decisions to make on a couple of others by tomorrow nite. (sigh)

http://jackson.craigslist.org/atq/2390482085.html
Looks like a model 15 because the tension control is on the face plate. I could be wrong..

However.. I saw these at great prices:
http://jackson.craigslist.org/atq/2333381913.html
http://jackson.craigslist.org/art/2368312947.html

I'd love either of those!

(P.S. I grew up in Jackson!)
Old 05-20-2011, 01:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pat Heinemann
It has been awhile since my last visit, Wow the pages keep coming.
I am looking for a tension spring, the one the thread goes through for my Singer 27. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get one that works, I got one off of e-bay but it is wrong and I tried to modify it to work but failed at my attempts. Thanks Pat
try www.sewclassic.com - Jenny has a lot of parts, good prices, she is quick sending things and she has reasonable shipping prices. Jenny also has a LOT of good info on her site- if you don't see it you can ask - at least her site says so. She will answer questions too. I learned a lot from her site.