Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Would I be crazy to not go grab this for $25? Even if for just a shelf ornament?
http://fresno.craigslist.org/atq/2399219869.html
GET IT, GET IT, GET IT. lol
yeah before someone else does
Old 05-24-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
But, LOL, we don't at this point allow guys --Nancy

For Billy we would make an exception to any rule that says no men. Matter of fact we might even fight over who gets to sit by him. :lol: Lets not fight We will save a three seats and he can sit in the middle of both of us. I have two or three machines that he can work on. I am sure that Loretta can come up with a few also, how about you? Maybe a dozen or two. Still want to come Billy? lol Kathie
Do you know how long it has been since I have had women fighting over me? Okay maybe last week at the grocery but that doesnt really count does it? I promise if I come everyone will get to sit by me. This almost feels like "The Bachelor" in a way.

Oh how I love being one of a few male quilters!! :mrgreen:

Billy
Hahahaha!!! You guys are hysterical!!! I could come up and join the group, too....only a 4 hour drive for me!! And my brother-in-law and wife life in Stockton. Maybe I could get DH to come up, too...he is a quilter and has interest in machinery. Although he still doesn't "get" my growing fascination with old machines!! :-)
Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Would I be crazy to not go grab this for $25? Even if for just a shelf ornament?
GET IT, GET IT, GET IT. lol
yeah before someone else does
I sent an e-mail. Waiting for a reply :D
Old 05-24-2011, 12:59 PM

Anyone know where I can get a decent hand crank machine at a reasonable price? That's the last of my bucket list machines...
Old 05-24-2011, 01:01 PM

I say go for it. If it were closer I would go and get it. Kathie
Old 05-24-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
Irishrose, as much as it pains me I will get some Singer needles ;)

Miriam, Gutermann thread perhaps? I have tried it, Coats N Clark, Connecting Threads, Aurifil and some cheap a$$ 2/$1 thread from Walmart that I'm trying to use up...lol. I knew the machine wasn't quite right when I bought it. I'm sure its probably something simple but those are the ones that drive a person the craziest..hahaha. I"m going to try moving the thread because it does jerk a lot. I've tried threadign it differently, don't remember where I read another way to do it, but I've tried that way. I really believe it is either in the tensioner or something in the bobbin case...just got to figure it out.

I play with them for a little bit then I have to put them away. For one thing, I never get any sewing done if I PLAY with the machines for very long :).

The 503A would probably right now run better, but its missing some parts and I'd rather get the "whole" 500A up and running and then think about what I want to do with the 503A.

I don't plan on giving up on the 500 even if I have to pay to ship it to someone to work on for me! :)
Have you oiled the hook assembly really well? When I got my 301 it was dragging and breaking threads. I kept thinking it was the tensioner, even after I bought and installed a new unit. I ended up taking the bobbin carrier out and soaking and cleaning it, and then oiled the whole hook till the oil was running out of it. One day later put it all back together and it really made a big difference!!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:05 PM

You guys are hysterical!!! I could come up and join the group, too....only a 4 hour drive for me!! And my brother-in-law and wife life in Stockton. Maybe I could get DH to come up, too...he is a quilter and has interest in machinery. Although he still doesn't "get" my growing fascination with old machines!! :-)[/quote]

Janice you and your hubby come up and join us. We have a lot of fun. Saturday night one of the gals taught us how to make a snap purse. Kathie
Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by jtapp9
Irishrose, as much as it pains me I will get some Singer needles ;)

Miriam, Gutermann thread perhaps? I have tried it, Coats N Clark, Connecting Threads, Aurifil and some cheap a$$ 2/$1 thread from Walmart that I'm trying to use up...lol. I knew the machine wasn't quite right when I bought it. I'm sure its probably something simple but those are the ones that drive a person the craziest..hahaha. I"m going to try moving the thread because it does jerk a lot. I've tried threadign it differently, don't remember where I read another way to do it, but I've tried that way. I really believe it is either in the tensioner or something in the bobbin case...just got to figure it out.

I play with them for a little bit then I have to put them away. For one thing, I never get any sewing done if I PLAY with the machines for very long :).

The 503A would probably right now run better, but its missing some parts and I'd rather get the "whole" 500A up and running and then think about what I want to do with the 503A.

I don't plan on giving up on the 500 even if I have to pay to ship it to someone to work on for me! :)
Have you oiled the hook assembly really well? When I got my 301 it was dragging and breaking threads. I kept thinking it was the tensioner, even after I bought and installed a new unit. I ended up taking the bobbin carrier out and soaking and cleaning it, and then oiled the whole hook till the oil was running out of it. One day later put it all back together and it really made a big difference!!
Good idea - You can pop out the part that holds the bobbin and clean it up pretty good - look in your manual - then oil it - getting it back in is trial and error the first time - look for burrs on the hook - run your finger over it or use a thread
Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
Anyone know where I can get a good hand crank machine? That's the last machine I *really* want, so I can sit downstairs and sew with the family.
Jennifer you could get a little 99 and put a hand crank kit on it. Billy sells those.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:27 PM

ohh I'll have to find a 99 first. :D Great idea - thanks!