Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-27-2011, 12:34 PM

Picked up a Singer Fashion Mate 362 for $25 today. You ask why? It came fully loaded with an entire box of Singer attachments. Serial # is MI 573764 & might possibly have been made in Monza, Italy. It's heavy but has some plastic pieces to it. It only does zigzag and straight stitch so am guessing it's an earlier machine in a tranisiotn phase perhaps from metal to mostly plastic. Only Singer I have found with a manual. To wind the bobbin, still need to loosen the clutch. Will clean and post pics after DH goes to take a nap tonight. My younger DD wants the machine b/c she can do some her own mending that way and not wait on me to get tired of looking at the mending pile. :)
BTW: If anyone has any info on this model, I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 PM

So want to show you 3 bags I made using my vintage machines. I used a 319 for the quilting of the material and a 301 for making the bags. I use the big bags when we go flea marking and carry things to my quilt club. The little bag carries my cross stitch project. Next time I quilt the material for another bag I am going to use one of the treadles I have and learn to use the machine by making straight rows.[/quote]

What nice looking bags. What talented people we have here. Kathie
Old 05-27-2011, 01:18 PM

I need help! so excited i can hardly type. neighbor having garage sale. vintage singer, pristine! in bentwood case, key and attachments, i cant figure out what the first letter in s# is, might be a small a, or a small g with tail missing. just seems to me that the lettera are usually capitals. rest of the number is 7637228. it has the bullet shaped bobbin. any ideas?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:30 PM

rest of the number is 7637228. it has the bullet shaped bobbin. any ideas?[/quote]

All records for numbers starting with A are lost. If it is a g
it is a model 128 from Dec, 24,1919
Old 05-27-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
rest of the number is 7637228. it has the bullet shaped bobbin. any ideas?
All records for numbers starting with A are lost. If it is a g
it is a model 128 from Dec, 24,1919[/quote]

I don't know for sure. However, to my knowledge (very limited remember) all of my Singers have upper or what we used to call capital letters in the serial numbers. What does it look like to you if you were to decide it was only an upper case letter? Also, could actually be a zero? :-D
Old 05-27-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by emmah
Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
emmah---Very nice!
Thanks to all that liked my efforts.
I am laying low tonight in the Fingerlakes, NY state, we just got tornado warnings. Luckily our old farmhouse is timberframed and has a good basement. Guess I will spend a little time down there. I can hear the thunder rumbling right now.
Emmah, stay safe, and let us know you are OK after the storm passes!!
Thank you. What we got was just a bunch of wind and some hail, but nothing bad. I guess I would rather the weather service be cautious than have no warning.
Yard "sale-ing" today produced 2 vintage sewing machines-$3 apiece-a 15 clone in blue and white named Ambassador, and a green Kenmore that was my first machine--now used by my non quilting sister for mending.
Someone had used some terrible stuff to "oil" the Kenmore, it was slopped all over the machine and was like orange chewing gum. After trying kerosene and liquid wrench to no avail, I finally remembered that ammonia cuts grease very well, so toothbrushed it all over the place. Took hours to get the gummy stuff out and loosen up the machine. Now to oil the machine and put it all back together.
It is so fun!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I've been out of the VSMS for a few weeks and will never get caught up with all your posts!

Today I stopped at a moving sale and she had an old Kenmore godzilla finish machine. The cabinet was really raggy, but the machine wasn't too bad. It had some rust but with the godzilla finish it wasn't obvious. She only wanted $20, but as it really wasn't one I was looking to collect, I passed. Now I'm thinking I should have bought it so I could say I own the ugliest sewing machine ever built. It's one of these, but in much worse shape: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1948-Ken...item43a732933e
Old 05-27-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Nancy love your purse and the mini quilts. Oh! heck I like everything you all put on here.

So want to show you 3 bags I made using my vintage machines. I used a 319 for the quilting of the material and a 301 for making the bags. I use the big bags when we go flea marking and carry things to my quilt club. The little bag carries my cross stitch project. Next time I quilt the material for another bag I am going to use one of the treadles I have and learn to use the machine by making straight rows.
Very nice Trish! :thumbup:

Cleaning my 301 in between 'board breaks'. :D

? I am using GoJo for the parts, machine, etc. but what do you use to get the smoke smell out of the original cardboard boxes that different parts came in?
Sometimes I put dryer sheets in boxes and cases to get rid of smells.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:03 PM

Hello fellow members of the the VSMS. I an back from camping and had a great time. Just my luck we had a tornado warning on the the fourth day at the camp grounds but it was nothing!! Did catch some fish and did a little hiking in the woods. Got ticks! Now we are home must mow yard and get ready for our next trip. I did some piecing with the FW on the rainy day. I have so much to catch up on this siite. You people are very busy here. Got to stencil my bent wood case and do other customer work. Glenn
Old 05-27-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Got ticks!
Now that is the test of a true camper - ticks!!!
Tommie