Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I want to thank Sharon, Purplefiend, for mentioning the Treadleon group numerous times. I recommend becoming a member and attending a TOGA or mini TOGA. Yup, I had a blast, and I'm looking forward to the gathering in September.
A Toga party? Did you go back to college? I bet I'm missing something huh?
Funny! TOGA =Treadleon gathering.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Originally Posted by buslady
I got an Elna Supermatic and need a manual for it. I found one site that charges for it, I wondered if anyone here knows where I might get one "free"? Thanks. I also have a Viking 33-10 that I can't find the manual for. I want to get these machines running so I can teach on them. Thanks for any assist!
If you find where to get one let me know. B/C I need one too. I saw one on e bay for $8.00+shipping but let it go on by. Will keep looking.
Hi - I got a free one from one of the sewing machine sites, but don't remember which one! :shock: Just Google for it, and you'll find it. I remember it didn't take me long to find it. It's a .pdf file on a personal blog or website.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by jpete523
I have enjoyed reading all the posts and learning from everyone but have felt guilty because I haven't had anything to contribute. Now I think I do! I have been reading arachnesobbsession's website and found some helpful information, She is conducting The White Sewing Machine Research Project and has posted White Badge Names. Scrolling through it I learned my Domestic Rotary 151, White Rotary and Dressmaker are all made by White. One phone call and I was able to verify the year each was made and either was sent a copy of the manual or told where to look for one (for free). So my beautiful turquoise Dressmaker isn't a Japanese clone after all!
The list does name a Challenge and Commander so they may not be clones. Hope this helps answer a few questions about "so who made my machine?"

Jan
There's a Challenge on the www.shopgoodwill.com site for sale right now.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I am the new owner of a 99K! $40 from CL - I posted pictures in my other topic I started yesterday. I'm going to need a new cord, but I am tempted to put a crank on it. Not sure how hard it would be or if it makes sense. I guess I'm going to have to start naming machines - I have a FW coming home next week, too.
Billy has hand cranks for the 99's. I got one a couple months ago and I plan to de-motor it and put a hand crank on it.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:27 PM

Miriam,
Thanks for the info. I put it on "My Pages" first time is used that too thanks to the other board members.

Monica,
Glad you had a nice weekend.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Buslady, Thanks. I almost didn't buy it and when I had decided, 2 other ladies also liked it. First come, first served.
Nice cabinet, Chris!!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:40 PM

i now have a crinkle singer 99, i swear some one colored it with liquid black shoe polish name and all. they also put a blue vacumm cord on it. do i clean it the same as with billy's 1-2-3 cleaning tute?
thanks for help,
phyllis nm
Old 06-06-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by jpete523
Nancy,

Do you have any knowledge about Western Electric sewing machines? I have a wonderful chainstitch with a hand crank that is badged Western Electric. But I am clueless about how to thread it. It was threaded when I bought it but it's not correct because the stitch knots up when you sew. It looks a lot like a Wilcox and Gibbs. Maybe I could use a W & G threading diagram? Thank you for your help!
Jan
Jan, the only thing I know about Western Electric is that National made Western Electric machines from 1917 to 1918 - only 2 years. I also know that Graybar was first called Western Electric. Graybar split off from Western Electric in 1925 to become Graybar. I think the person on here who understands the whole Western Electric, National, Graybar thing is Monica (Vintagemotif) as she has two different Two Spools machines and she has done some research on them. Those chain stitch machines did thread pretty much the same. I'd try a Wilcox & Gibbs threading route, but maybe Monica can help with that too.

Nancy

Here is some information on the Wilcox and Gibbs and how to thread one. http://www.sewalot.com/willcox_gibbs.htm
I have a 1917 Western Electric electric machine. It is not a 2 spools machine, it has a drop in bobbin. Western Electric only had electric machines for those 2 years. I feel very lucky to have my beautiful old girl. She is very lovely and in very good shape for being 94 years old. I have to have her motor re-wired, so have not tried her out yet. Too scared of those wires. She has a neat motor on a spring with a rubber tire thing that folds against the hand wheel.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by sew wishful
...but I saw a blue machine at the antique mall that I wondered about being a clone. It's so pretty! Metalic blue and if my memory serves me correctly (and many times it doesn't) I think it said HOME on it. $39 and the wiring was all cracked and I'd be afraid to run it until it was rewired. I'd take it for $25. I've asked him to come down on the price but he won't budge!
That guy still won't come down? Hmmm.... wonder how long it will take him to come down?

:shock: :roll:
I advised someone a few months ago to persevere....keep going back and making the same offer. Eventually she got the machine for the price she wanted. They eventually see the wisdom of selling the machine. Keep going back...you'll get it!!
Old 06-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by deplaylady
I am the new owner of a 99K! $40 from CL - I posted pictures in my other topic I started yesterday. I'm going to need a new cord, but I am tempted to put a crank on it. Not sure how hard it would be or if it makes sense. I guess I'm going to have to start naming machines - I have a FW coming home next week, too.
Billy has hand cranks for the 99's. I got one a couple months ago and I plan to de-motor it and put a hand crank on it.
Is that a big job?