Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-08-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
I was kinda bummed having a hard time sewing on my 66. I couldn't figure out what went wrong. The tension knob is in the same place as always, but the stitching looks awful. Unthreaded it, took the bobbin out, put it back in and rethreaded it...same thing.

Before I had a chance to post my issue, someone else posted to thread the needle from right to left, I know I went from left to right. When I get home from work, I'll rethread it and thread the needle from the right and see if it's fixed.

I haven't mentioned it lately, but not only is this board and it's members awesome, but I love this shop too!
I love this shop too!

The post on threading the needle from right to left was referring to a FW. Your 66 needs to be threaded from left to right the way you were doing it already. Did you check your bobbin to make sure it is threaded correctly in the bobbin case? Usually, when someone is having trouble with the thread bunching up, it is because they are not inserting the bobbin correctly in the bobbin case so the thread jumps out of the bobbin case slot as soon as you start to sew. The bobbin should be dropped into the case with the thread coming from the bobbin leading on top from the right toward the left - that way when you put the bobbin in the case - and thread through the slot in the bobbin case - it will stay threaded. Also, did you change needles, some needles are just bad.

Hope this helps.

Nancy
Old 06-08-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lori Peercy

. . . It came with a drawer full of attatchments.
Lucky you! Attachments can be hard to find. I love my 9W. Beautiful stitching, easy to treadle. Any of the Wheeler and Wilson type machines are fabulous to sew on. Cabinet is nice, too!!
The "sad" one that follows will clean up and sew like a dream. You'll be surprised.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:32 AM

Welcome back Miz Johnny, good to see you again.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:17 AM

Oh, so I had it threaded right...bummer. I'm happy I did it right, but was so hoping that would be the fix.

I'll pull her out when I get home and stitch some on her and see if it's the bobbin.

I have a FW too, but I don't have her out and running yet. It'll be good to know you have to thread her "backwards".
Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 AM

I decided since I have so many machines and things are done differently on them (threading, bobbin insertion, etc) I'm gonna make up a index card for each one stating size of needle, how it threads, and any other thing to aide my memory in the correct running of the machine. Why try to remember it all? My brain is full to the brim now, lol
Old 06-08-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by Lori Peercy

. . . It came with a drawer full of attatchments.
Lucky you! Attachments can be hard to find. I love my 9W. Beautiful stitching, easy to treadle. Any of the Wheeler and Wilson type machines are fabulous to sew on. Cabinet is nice, too!!
The "sad" one that follows will clean up and sew like a dream. You'll be surprised.
Yes, Miz Johnny, I know that it can be cleaned up and it too will sew beautifully! I just need to get a couple of missing parts for it, which I haven't done yet. This was my free machine in the badly worn cabinet with the treadle that treadles very smoothly. I went for the free treadle for a different facelift project, and the surprise in the cabinet was this Singer. Again the machine found me! One day it will work too.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Oh, so I had it threaded right...bummer. I'm happy I did it right, but was so hoping that would be the fix.

I'll pull her out when I get home and stitch some on her and see if it's the bobbin.

I have a FW too, but I don't have her out and running yet. It'll be good to know you have to thread her "backwards".
My one old gal only likes to sew with cheap thread. I don't get it. So, if you have checked everything else then try changing the thread.

Oh and check for hook burrs.
http://repairsewingmachines.blogspot...ook-burrs.html
Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 AM

Oh gosh, I hope it isn't that! I have some stitching to do this afternoon. I'll pull her out and see what she does then. I don't know how old the needle is in her, she came with it from the shop. She might need a new needle as well.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 AM

I just bought this from shopgoodwill.com ($8!! and shipping isn't too bad) -- needs a good cleaning for sure - the idea is to put and hand crank on her.
so, would someone mind posting (yet again) where to find model info on white sewing machines?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-208620.jpe  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn
I just bought this from shopgoodwill.com ($8!! and shipping isn't too bad) -- needs a good cleaning for sure - the idea is to put and hand crank on her.
so, would someone mind posting (yet again) where to find model info on white sewing machines?
Congrats on your winning bid. I almost bid on her and then talked myself out of it.