Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Does anyone know the name of this decal? I went to the link posted a few pages back, but this one is not shown. I know I saw it on here before, but cannot remember how far back, and I am NOT into hunting through 1100 pages!!! LOL
The decal is called the Lotus.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by redmadder
My 1941 Singer 15-30 sews a few stitches after my foot lets off the pedal. Is this a quirk or something that can be fixed? Maybe the pedal needs a little work? Anyone?
No, its an electric. Nothing like my treadles.

It could be dust/fluff/lint/etc collecting inside the foot pedal, carefully take it apart and check/clean as required. While you are there also check for a corroded or loose wire.

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)
Old 06-08-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

. . . It came with a drawer full of attatchments.
Lucky you! Attachments can be hard to find. I love my 9W. Beautiful stitching, easy to treadle. Any of the Wheeler and Wilson type machines are fabulous to sew on. Cabinet is nice, too!!
The "sad" one that follows will clean up and sew like a dream. You'll be surprised.
Yes, Miz Johnny, I know that it can be cleaned up and it too will sew beautifully! I just need to get a couple of missing parts for it, which I haven't done yet. This was my free machine in the badly worn cabinet with the treadle that treadles very smoothly. I went for the free treadle for a different facelift project, and the surprise in the cabinet was this Singer. Again the machine found me! One day it will work too.

Here is a picture of the attatchments. Does anyone know what the attatchments are for or what they do? The second picture is of a wooden box a friend gave me a long time ago, I collect boxes. I knew they were attatchments for a sewing machine, but I never knew that it went to a vintage Singer sewing machine. I think it is called a Singer puzzle box. How do I find out if they will work on my Singer 9w? I forgot to mention that I paid $30 for the machine and cabinet, it needs a belt.
Lori,
I love your avatar, very pretty! And your attachments are very NICE! Link to attachment info that hopefully will be of help to you. http://www.thesewbox.com/free_sewing...tructions.html

I think a couple of those attachments in the top photo will work on a White or National.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/hsh/2426731411.html

Is this a good deal? I checked on ebay and it does not sound too far out of line.
Gary, I am not up to date with Bernina prices but just checked eBay Australia and there's one listed BIN Au$550 and there is another with 6 days still to run which is currently at Au$200 although this machine has issues (seems a broken needle is jammed in the bottom end). Then another on ebay.com located in Wa with 1.5 days to run currently at US$280. Btw, the Aussie $ is around 7 cents more than the US $.

Many years ago I owned a Bernina 730 and it was a great machine, gave it to my daughter...unsure where it is now. My husband bought it for me around Apr/May 1971 and I made anything and everything on that machine. It was a real workhorse and in hindsight I should have kept it, but you know how it is!! LOL

Not sure this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)
Old 06-08-2011, 09:46 PM

I am really unschooled in older machines. When you rear mount are you talking about where the foot attatches? I just looked on mine and you have to unscrew it in the back to switch the foot out. I was told my Singer is around 1905-1910. I will put the puzzle box back away then.

I thought maybe the ones you called hemmers where for bindings.
Different feet mounts: Top photo back mount on Singer Lotus 66-1, middle photo side mount Singer 66, bottom photo screw mount on National.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-208920.jpe   attachment-208921.jpe   attachment-208922.jpe  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Minnesota newbie
I was wondering how you post in the vintage machine shop area?I have an opportunity to get a singer 29k2 it has a very long arm,just wanted to know if you can quilt a fmotion with it?I can find pictures but know info as to what it all can do.thank you for your help
you will have to make a table top around the arm. the 1" wide needle plate will be a night mare to fhq on with out it.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:54 AM

I am really unschooled in older machines. When you rear mount are you talking about where the foot attatches? I just looked on mine and you have to unscrew it in the back to switch the foot out. I was told my Singer is around 1905-1910. I will put the puzzle box back away then.

I thought maybe the ones you called hemmers where for bindings.
Different feet mounts: Top photo back mount on Singer Lotus 66-1, middle photo side mount Singer 66, bottom photo screw mount on National.
Seeing your machine on newspaper reminded me...I purchased a machine at GW a few months ago and last week I got it out to play and inside the case a newspaper had been laid. All brown and brittle, I took it out to look at the year..it's from May 15, 1968, Oelwein Daily News....that evening around 5 P.M. a tornado hit this town (8 miles from here) and the town I live near killing several and million of $ of damage. Just found that interesting. Sorry, it's a bit off track but just thought of it! Obviously my machine was not injured!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:14 AM

No, its an electric. Nothing like my treadles.
My 15 does it too - I always just figured it was from the momentum of those steel parts
Old 06-09-2011, 04:57 AM

Finally got some pictures of recent acquisitions, thought I'd share.

Singer 301
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208978[/ATTACH]

Elna Supermatic
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208979[/ATTACH]

Singer 127
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208981[/ATTACH]

Singer 99
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208982[/ATTACH]

127 Faceplate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208983[/ATTACH]

Jordan Michael, Circa 1/5/11
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208985[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-208972.jpe   attachment-208973.jpe   attachment-208975.jpe   attachment-208976.jpe   attachment-208977.jpe  

attachment-208979.jpe  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

. . . It came with a drawer full of attatchments.
Lucky you! Attachments can be hard to find. I love my 9W. Beautiful stitching, easy to treadle. Any of the Wheeler and Wilson type machines are fabulous to sew on. Cabinet is nice, too!!
The "sad" one that follows will clean up and sew like a dream. You'll be surprised.
Yes, Miz Johnny, I know that it can be cleaned up and it too will sew beautifully! I just need to get a couple of missing parts for it, which I haven't done yet. This was my free machine in the badly worn cabinet with the treadle that treadles very smoothly. I went for the free treadle for a different facelift project, and the surprise in the cabinet was this Singer. Again the machine found me! One day it will work too.

Here is a picture of the attatchments. Does anyone know what the attatchments are for or what they do? The second picture is of a wooden box a friend gave me a long time ago, I collect boxes. I knew they were attatchments for a sewing machine, but I never knew that it went to a vintage Singer sewing machine. I think it is called a Singer puzzle box. How do I find out if they will work on my Singer 9w? I forgot to mention that I paid $30 for the machine and cabinet, it needs a belt.
I highly recommend the book "The Sewing Machine Attachment Book" by the lady that runs the Sew Box:
www.thesewbox.com