Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I am so excited! My Betty Davis - Davis Vertical Feed from 1886 - was without her cabinet for the last 3 or so months! Well, DH had to re-veneer the cabinet because the flip top was so bad - veneer off, split, coming off, that it would catch on my quilts when I was trying to put the bindings on them. DH re-veneered the flip top, we sanded and just used Howards Restore a finish on the rest of the cabinet and now Betty has her cabinet back! Better yet, I have my binding machine back!

Nancy
Beautiful cabinet, Nancy. Kathie
Old 06-13-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Nancy that is a great looking Franklin!!! And the Davis is gorgeous!

Billy
Thank you Billy. The Davis is mine, but the Franklin belongs to Kathie - I just posted the picture for her!

Nancy
Old 06-13-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Beautiful cabinet, Nancy. Kathie
Thank you Kathie! I love having my Betty machine back in the house!

Nancy
Old 06-13-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Miz Johnny, As soon as DH is home from work, I will ship him straight to you! Wow! 30 treadles!!! I think I like you! Can you explain to me the difference between a rotary shuttle and whatever the 66 has? I was thinking about selling the 115 because it has an irritating habit of the needle dropping back into the fabric after I stop sewing and get ready to take the material out. Can't figure out what is causing it or how to fix it. The 66 doesn't do it.
Yeah, he'd be so happy to get back to you, he'd never complain again. I always say every man on earth is lucky he didn't marry me--except for one poor guy.

Here's the short answer on ocillating/rotary/vibrating/transverse shuttles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobbin_driver

As for the needle dropping back down, I really don't know. With a hand crank, it's usually the way the "finger" is put in the hand wheel. Not sure why with a treadle. Someone else will know, though!!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy,
How is your Two Spools? I hope you got it all worked out.
These are fun machines to sew with. Enjoy!
Ok, I am piecing the borders on a Quilt as You Go quilt right now with Annie Oakley Two Spools. I had already pieced the quilt blocks with my Free treadle, quilted the blocks with my 15-88 treadle, so now the Two Spools is piecing the borders! I love that machine, she sew so nice. I am finding Annie Oakley Two Spools much easier to piece with than the Free because the feed dogs on her are soooo long that the fabric doesn't have a tendency to pull sideways like it does with machines that have uneven feed dogs like the Free treadle. I am so glad I got this treadle to add to my collection!

Nancy
Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
"The 66 was the bottom of the line Singer, and you can pick one up anywhere" - quoting Miz Johnny. Oh, please don't tell me that ............ they are so beautiful and mine sews a gorgeous stitch. What makes them the bottom of the barrel?
Not bottom of the barrel, bottom of the line. And I was wrong there--the 27/127 was cheaper. I still prefer those over the 66. Both the vibrating shuttle machines and the class 15 machines will sew through more layers of cloth.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:40 PM

I had one of these; it sewed a great stitch. This one has fabulous decals!!
Ok here is Kathie's newest family member. When she first told me she got a Franklin sold by Sears I thought it was one of the White badged Franklin's, but it is not! The Franklin is probably made by Davis - who was the sole supplier of sewing machines to Sears until 1912. In 1911 the Franklin was introduced with an elaborate Egyptian type decal, an exact imitation of Singer's 27/127.

Here is a link to Sears history where I got some of my information! http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html
Old 06-13-2011, 07:41 PM

I am so excited! My Betty Davis - Davis Vertical Feed from 1886 - was without her cabinet for the last 3 or so months! Well, DH had to re-veneer the cabinet because the flip top was so bad - veneer off, split, coming off, that it would catch on my quilts when I was trying to put the bindings on them. DH re-veneered the flip top, we sanded and just used Howards Restore a finish on the rest of the cabinet and now Betty has her cabinet back! Better yet, I have my binding machine back!

Nancy
Beautiful. Great job, DH.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Nancy tell your hubby he did a great jop of reveneering the top. Cabinet looks great and I am not a big fan of Howards refinishing product, it has a tend to fade and has to be redone every now and then, but it sure made your cabinet look good. Glenn
Thank you Glenn, it is always nice when our resident refinishing expert chimes in with an approval! I used the Howards Restore a Finish just because we didn't want to have to sand and refinish the whole cabinet. DH had to re-do the veneer 3 times on the flip up top! Everytime he put it down, it either pulled up in places or bubbled because it was too wet and cold here for so long. If that had been a Singer cabinet, he'd of just given up because you can always find another Singer cabinet, but because it was for the Davis which takes a special sized cabinet he finished the job!

Nancy
Old 06-13-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by beaniekins
I'm glad you're OK, Billy. A snakebite? That's terrifying! And sorry that your daughter's house had to come down.

So, I found out that in addition to the 401(?) that this lady is selling, she also has an older Singer and an older White Rotary. They all look very dusty, but the decals appear to be in quite good condition. The cabinet for the 401 seems to be in the roughest shape of all of them. I can't go and get them until the 30th though. I hope I can wait that long and that she doesn't sell them to someone else in the meantime!
Ok, I'd have to get all three of those machines! The 401 is a great machine for using decorative stitches if you get the cams - you don't need the cabinet for it to sit flat on the table. The White Rotary is really a pretty machine - could be cleaned up really nice. The Singer 27 looks really great too!

Nancy