Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-15-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by jljack
Nancy, I recently saw the reproduction hand cranks for sale on eBay, but listed as Made in China. I am not inclined to get one of those, but just for information sake, are they any good?
I don't know, as I got my HC from Billy. The thing about the made in China ones is that they have a little kinda wierd decal and say made in China. Someone on here got one, Sharon was it you, and they liked it - I think?

Nancy
I have the Chinese made repro hand crank and I don't really like it, since I have an original Singer hand crank; the differences between the 2 are quite noticeable. The handle on the repro doesn't feel as solid as the original. The grandkids agree with me.
Thanks for that input, Purplefiend!! I suspected as much, but wanted some opinions.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Sheryl, can you answer my question about re-treadle-ing my 66? It's a page back. Thanks!!
I'm not Sheryl, but I can answer your question.
As long as your handwheel has a deep grove in it, you can treadle it. I have 2 Singers that were once electric machines that work wonderfully as treadles. A 15-90 and 237 zig zag.
Pictures here: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719wvBDUq

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719RNXVPG
Hey Purple!! Thanks for the photos. The main part of my question was if we can just build a small open platform for the machine to rest on, on top of a flat table top, then router holes through the table top for the belt to travel through. I already plan on taking the motor off...it's got a newer motor and newer case that it's coming in. I highly suspect that it was "modernized" with motor and newer case at some time, because it's a 1909. I can see that the handwheel has a groove, because it's motor is belt drive. I'll take pictures when I get the machine, and maybe you would be willing to assist me with advice on this project? I'd sure appreciate it.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I won the bid at Shopgoodwill.com! I know nothing about this machine. But I thought it looked really cool and bid on it. Got it for $6.00 plus shipping - total of $23.68. Not bad. I think I might just be getting a little pathetic, now I am buying based on looks!
I looked at this machine, too, and thought it was really cool looking. I Googled the name and found out it's badged by another company...now I don't remember who, but they have the same machine unde their own name, too. It looks kinda like a praying mantis, I think!! LOL
Old 06-15-2011, 10:10 AM

Patte00, I've seen the keys on ebay.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:25 AM

I won the bid at Shopgoodwill.com! I know nothing about this machine. But I thought it looked really cool and bid on it. Got it for $6.00 plus shipping - total of $23.68. Not bad. I think I might just be getting a little pathetic, now I am buying based on looks!
There is a National (see I thought I remembered seeing another one) that looks just like this on ShopGoodwill.com.

Actually there are several very nice looking machines on that website right now. A really nice red eye on the last page, and a Model 15 that Singer shows is a 28 from 1910 on page 3, I think. Really clean and nice. Also a Spartan (I bid $30 last time, but they had a reserve on it and it didn't sell).

And here is the 99 I got on auction with the Lotus decals. This is the pic from the website. I don't have it yet. This is the one I want to re-treadle.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211864.jpe  
Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 AM

No one has answered yet. Even PM'ed Billy. Guessed no one ever heard of it. Am not sure about how to post a pic. but will try . gimme a min.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:41 AM

There is a National (see I thought I remembered seeing another one) that looks just like this on ShopGoodwill.com.

Actually there are several very nice looking machines on that website right now. A really nice red eye on the last page, and a Model 15 that Singer shows is a 28 from 1910 on page 3, I think. Really clean and nice. Also a Spartan (I bid $30 last time, but they had a reserve on it and it didn't sell).

And here is the 99 I got on auction with the Lotus decals. This is the pic from the website. I don't have it yet. This is the one I want to re-treadle.
Did you get the Lotus at goodwill? I have seen the machines you are talking about. I would have loved to have the Spartan, NY Goodwill puts reserves on all their machines. I guess they don't really want to sell them, by the time you add shipping I am not paying that much to them. I can't afford to and their is no guarantee that the machines will be packed for shipping survival.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:20 AM

I picked up a machine over the weekend that appears to be a Singer 99-24. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer:
1) the machine has the crinkle/Godzilla finish. Is there any special method to cleaning this finish as opposed to a smooth finish?
2) the presser foot bar does not have a spring on the internal part of the mechanism behind the faceplate, which I thought was pretty much the standard for all machines. Can anyone with a similar machine (or more knowledge!) tell me if a spring should be there? If so, I'd love to know a part number or source to find a replacement.
3) the decals appear a little faded which may just be function of the Godzilla finish or the fact it's been around since the 1940s. Are replacement decals available somewhere?
I'll post a picture soon...

ep
Old 06-15-2011, 11:32 AM

Did you get the Lotus at goodwill? I have seen the machines you are talking about. I would have loved to have the Spartan, NY Goodwill puts reserves on all their machines. I guess they don't really want to sell them, by the time you add shipping I am not paying that much to them. I can't afford to and their is no guarantee that the machines will be packed for shipping survival.
Yes, I got it on auction there. I paid a little more than I wanted, but I am so happy to get it. I love those decals, and I really want a treadle. We can't hardly find good machines here in town. Prices in L.A. are HIGH!!! So, I try to find what I want on auctions. I was lucky to find a reasonably priced Featherweight here this past weekend.

Oh, I have another question. When I treadle the 99, can I leave the light on and put a plug on it? Will that interfere in any way with the treadle action? I think it won't, but want to be sure.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:59 AM

Am trying to get pics off phone. 1st pic of very small cab. only 22" wide.2nd pic of machine Third shows how small it is next to redeye. Cannot see name on machine except to shine light sideways. Then can read Elmira. Spent 6 hours on puter yesterday looking for info on this thing. Is missing some parts and I don't know what to order. Am getting flustrated. Having hot flashes. Could be is 102* here today. Does anyone know where to find info on Miss Elmira? :)

cabinet closed 22 wide
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211907[/ATTACH]

machine says Elmira
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211908[/ATTACH]

machoine in front of redeye
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211909[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211901.jpe   attachment-211902.jpe   attachment-211903.jpe