Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi Billy, I have a Singer 500A that was given to me a few years ago. It's been in a closet for a few years and I need to know where to oil it. There is a white plastic-looks like a dipstick-elongated toy top. I need to know what it's used for. I don't have a manual just a few extra feet and cams. The flywheel can turn but it feels like it's a little stiff. I know it needs lubricating but I don't know where to put the oil. anne
Before you get too far into oiling it and running it you need to take the top of the machine off and find the spring that hold the little plastic spool pin up!!! There are 2 screws that hole the top on one towards the front and the other towards the rear by the bobbin winder. Take those out and be VERY careful taking the top off of the machine. The lid that opens and the faceplate's hinges are very fragile and they can break if mistreated!!!

But under the top you should see how the spring fits onto the pin from the other one that is working. Now that the top is off you can get to everything to clean and oil it.

I had fun oiling mine up and it took about 5 hours to make sure everything was working right and oiled properly. To me the motor in these machines seems weak but then so does the Featherweights! Also take the oil drip tray off of the bottom so you can get to everything under the bed. Dont forget to oil the bobbin race and hook assembly either!!

But once you get it all oiled up run the machine at full throttle for 5 minutes and you should be good. Leave the top off of the machine when you run it to watch everything work and if you see something that looks dry then you can hit it with some oil. Bit oil everything metal rides on metal including the two guides that the selectors ride on.

Billy
Old 06-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SherriB
I am venturing out in the vintage machine world. This will be my second vintage toy machine. I just won it on Ebay for $8.50 plus shipping of $8.00. I think they are so cute! I will have a hard time keeping my DGD, who is 4, away from this one.
You got a steal on this one!!!

They are so cute and I would probably get into collecting them eventually but I have a huge wish list of full sized machines to get first!!!

Billy
Old 06-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by no1jan
Just hope it works! Believe me I am taking pictures this time!:thumbup:
Jan you didnt know that a digital camera was a tool for the ole toolbox? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Old 06-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
I have a question on a machine.. I have never heard of it before and could not find anything out on it... Edmond's... does anyone know of it or is it a mystery!
Sorta looks like a National, Davis or Standard from the photo that you shown of the machine. There were a lot of badged machines out there and this is more than likely one of them. I really like it and where you find it?

Billy
Old 06-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Banned

Crossstitcher sounds like you guys had a great time at the Flea Market indeed!!! And a dollar for a fiddle based machine is good I do not care what condition it is in!!!

please post some photos of you finds today so we all can look at them and dream about the ones that are waiting for us to find!!! ;-) ;-) ;-)

Billy
Old 06-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Hubby & I went to an antique show today. We bought this beauty sight unseen. We traded a $20.00 bayonet for her. No key and it was locked in a Bentwood case. We got her home and opened her up and this is what we found. She is a 1934 Model 128K.

She's dirty and needs a good cleaning. Missing the plate for the shuttle cover. Also missing the electrics and the foot control. Not a problem, I have one set of irons left and she can be put into a treadle. Right?

Billy, can you tell me what the decals are?

Blessings,
Sandi
Attached Thumbnails attachment-79974.jpe   attachment-79975.jpe   attachment-79976.jpe  
Old 06-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deara
Hubby & I went to an antique show today. We bought this beauty sight unseen. We traded a $20.00 bayonet for her. No key and it was locked in a Bentwood case. We got her home and opened her up and this is what we found. She is a 1934 Model 128K.

She's dirty and needs a good cleaning. Missing the plate for the shuttle cover. Also missing the electrics and the foot control. Not a problem, I have one set of irons left and she can be put into a treadle. Right?

Well if the treadle is set up for a 3/4 machine it will fit, if not it will not work. The machine has a rare set of decals it is the La Vencedora Variant with the Indian Star.

The case should have a hole in the side of it for a kneebar so it would have the same set up that I took out of my 128 I have for sale in the classifieds. I would keep it in the case if it were me and would take very good care of it not many of those floating around at all.

Billy
Old 06-05-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Well if the treadle is set up for a 3/4 machine it will fit, if not it will not work. The machine has a rare set of decals it is the La Vencedora Variant with the Indian Star.

The case should have a hole in the side of it for a kneebar so it would have the same set up that I took out of my 128 I have for sale in the classifieds. I would keep it in the case if it were me and would take very good care of it not many of those floating around at all.

Billy
Thank you Billy for the added info on the decals. No knee-bar hole in the case. Oh and the motor says Great Britain. Was she always an electric machine?/ or was she a treadle to begin with?

Blessings,
Sandi
Old 06-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned

Thank you Billy for the added info on the decals. No knee-bar hole in the case. Oh and the motor says Great Britain. Was she always an electric machine?/ or was she a treadle to begin with?

Blessings,
Sandi
It was nave a treadle I dont believe and it sounds like a 128K. Look at the voltage of the motor before you use it, it might be set up for the UK standard of electricity hence the missing electrical parts.

Billy
Old 06-05-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Blessings,
Sandi
It was nave a treadle I dont believe and it sounds like a 128K. Look at the voltage of the motor before you use it, it might be set up for the UK standard of electricity hence the missing electrical parts.

Billy
My hubby just looked at the motor and he said WHOA, 250 volts. lol He said we could hook it up to where the clothes dryer plugs in. lol