Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-22-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by buslady
Here are some pictures of me new treasure. Found it in Roscommon. Was just perusing the thrift shops and was talking to the owner of one. She said she had a friend that wanted her to bring one up there for her, but she was afraid she'd get stuck with it. She called her, I followed her to home, and it ended up coming home with me. So much for the SM Diet I am on. LOL. Even DH encouraged this one!!

Buslady, that's a gorgeous machine. I think you need to change your tag line to "Sewing Machines are my obsession"!! LOL
I agree OMG that is one beautiful machine!!!!
Sharon W.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Aurora
I have placed the almost perfect Red Eye into the treadle cabinet and installed a new belt (the old one was broken and in one of the drawers). I have apparently installed the belt incorrectly because I am unable to raise the head far enough backwards to raise the front wood panel to lower the head into the cabinet. I will get a new belt because I probably cut too much off the belt I installed. But the belt kept jumping off the big wheel -- any tips on how to overcome this issue.

Also a bobbin is stuck on the bobbin winder, but I am thinking a good Kerosene soak will loosen it for removal. I have your instructions printed out for referral when I get back to the cleaning part. I just am not sure about the belt problem. Any guidance will be appreciated.
Aurora, you attached the belt correctly. Once the belt is attached to the wheel you can't lower the head unless you slip the belt off the treadle or the wheel to lower the machine into the cabinet. Most of the Singer cabinets have a little switch thingy near the treadle wheel to loosen the belt out of the treadle groove. If your treadle does not have that, you can just slip it off the groove in the hand wheel. Either way in order to lift the machine far enough up to lower the head, you have to slip off the belt.

Nancy

Nancy,

Thanks. It does have a little round switch thingy (technical term?) that moves the belt slightly, perhaps I have my belt too tight. I will try it when I return to where the machine is located. At first I was afraid the belt would come off and I would not be able to get it back on, but it did slip off several times and was easy to get back on track. So happy to know I put it on right the first time. Here, I thought my greatest accomplishment was to swap the heads so I could have both a treadle and a handcrank. Cannot wait to start the clean-up process and get them both humming.

Thanks for such a simple solution. DUH!

Sharon W.

I just saw your response. Thanks, it looks exactly like the one on yours (by your knee). I look forward to getting my irons to look like those on your machine.

Aurora
Old 06-22-2011, 01:00 PM

Is there a site that identifies Singer Attachments by part number? I Have #160629, a ruffle. Does It fit a 301A?
381200 Singer G Britain, a hemmer or binder I think, what machine does it fit? J63455 seems incomplete, looks like it might have something to do with fold over bias binding but There is no apparent way to attach it to the machine. A presser plate 181825. Looking forward to your help.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by a1crafter
Is there a site that identifies Singer Attachments by part number? I Have #160629, a ruffle. Does It fit a 301A?
381200 Singer G Britain, a hemmer or binder I think, what machine does it fit? J63455 seems incomplete, looks like it might have something to do with fold over bias binding but There is no apparent way to attach it to the machine. A presser plate 181825. Looking forward to your help.
I have a suggest that has worked for me. Google the following: singer attachment 160629.

When I Googled your part number the following site~~ http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/simanco/160629/ ~~ is one of the sites that came up. A lot of times I have found sites which will tell me all the machines a part will work on. This was a tip from the person I recently acquired my Singer 301A. :-D
Old 06-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by a1crafter
I have a suggest that has worked for me. Google the following: singer attachment 160629.

When I Googled your part number the following site~~ http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/simanco/160629/ ~~ is one of the sites that came up. A lot of times I have found sites which will tell me all the machines a part will work on. This was a tip from the person I recently acquired my Singer 301A. :-D
Thank you!!! I have some odd stuff I need to go dig out and figure out what they are.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 PM

I went to the library today to check out some new quilting books, but I took a detour while there and found myself in the sewing machine section. I discovered that my library has a wonderful book called Sincere's Sewing Machine Service Book by William Ewers, printed 1968. I haven't read the entire book yet, but this book is an excellent reference book. Chapters are dedicated to the long shuttle, class 15 oscillator, class 66 oscillator, the White Rotary, manual zig zag, the automatic zig zag, some miscellaneous machines, electrical equipment, attachments, service tips, and trouble-shooting guide. I suggest hunting this valuable book down if you haven't read it already.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

Lucky you, vintagemotif, I've tried and tried to find one in the library - usually checked out or 'lost'. Let us know if it is worth buying.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Lucky you, vintagemotif, I've tried and tried to find one in the library - usually checked out or 'lost'. Let us know if it is worth buying.
Does your library have the "Links" system? I have used this system and had books come from other parts of the country.
I would borrow through the "Links" system first before purchasing the book.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by miriam
Does your library have the "Links" system? I have used this system and had books come from other parts of the country.
I would borrow through the "Links" system first before purchasing the book.
I haven't tried recently. I think I will try again. I'm noting the name of the book.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I went to the library today to check out some new quilting books, but I took a detour while there and found myself in the sewing machine section. I discovered that my library has a wonderful book called Sincere's Sewing Machine Service Book by William Ewers, printed 1968. I suggest hunting this valuable book down if you haven't read it already.
I checked Amazon and a newer version is listed for $385...so guess I will search my library also. At least I can do it online.