Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-01-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
sssshhh dont tell my hubby. I brought home another one today. Its a Japanese 15 clone. I snuck it in the house and i havnt told him yet :lol:

I will get pics when it is safe. But I think I am in trouble because I asked him to build me shelves in my sewing room this weekend and that is where it is hiding. I think I might have to fess up soon....
but... but I only spent 7$ on it
:thumbup: :XD:
$7 for a machine should make it ok, I think... :-)
Old 07-01-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Tonite right after work I get to pick up my FW....I haven't even seen her whole self yet!! I'm excited!!
Janice, I can't remember if you have other FWs. If you don't, I can guarantee you that you will enjoy your new one. Congrats...
Old 07-01-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by lee231
Positively says OUR SPECIAL. Not like most White machines, turns same direction as most Singers. I hookup the electric today and it turns over real nice and quiet. The shuttle has a spring loaded piece on the back of it and tends to make the top thread hang up around the notch in the front and puts a rats nest on the bottom side. Will take a pic of the shuttle later and post. Maybe with a good cleaning that will change. Got the hand wheel soaking in evorust right now. Lost power earlier tonite so will have to wait a bit to use the garage for cleaning.
Cool machine! :thumbup:
Old 07-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
With the long weekend coming up I wonder how many of these "older Ladies" will be finding new homes?
I know we will be keeping an eye out.
Well, I'm on my way, tomorrow for this model 15 for $20.00!!!!!!
I don't really know much about it but the people are moving and need it out of the house. It was being advertised as a different model but I recognized it.

She looks almost new!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219548[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219542.jpe  
Old 07-01-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by HanNatNana
What about making a quilt of the machines you own? The blocks could be embroidered or appliqued and have the machine name and other details underneath.

This is a quilt I made depicting Famous Sailing Ships, my 9yo DGD has it at the moment for 'show and tell' at school for their history studies. Since making this quilt I've bought fabric to make another one with First Fleet Ships but this is the style I was thinking about but featuring your machine collection.

You will notice in the first quilt photo it was tied, it was experimental and I didn't really like it then when I bought a HandiQuilter Frame it was one of the first projects....a bit backwards in that the binding and border quilting had already been done, but it worked OK.

The small table the Minerva Hand Crank sits one was this week's project and has now been restored, the little drawer has some old darning wool, hooks and eyes, crochet thread and a packet of needles as this was a table my MIL used as her sewing table and from memory she must have had a Singer 99 because I remember it was smaller than my mother's Singer.

Bronwyn ;-)
Bronwyn, so can we see the machine in that cabinet? The cabinet is really cute.

I love the way you did the quilt, yes it looks much better with all the stippling -- makes those ships looks like you did them in trapunto! To do that technique with our sewing machines pictured and a little description would be so cool! We'd all have to pick our very favorites, the ones we actually use or that have special meaning because we are forever adding to our collections.

Nancy
Nancy, I'll have to take some photos soon...have had the builder and his tradies working here and they like to be a pit* so no chance of doing anything like photos while that's going on.

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 07-01-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
sssshhh dont tell my hubby. I brought home another one today. Its a Japanese 15 clone. I snuck it in the house and i havnt told him yet :lol:

I will get pics when it is safe. But I think I am in trouble because I asked him to build me shelves in my sewing room this weekend and that is where it is hiding. I think I might have to fess up soon....
but... but I only spent 7$ on it
:thumbup: :XD:

Abby you are too funny!! $7 is a steal...good on you.

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 07-01-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I want to wish all on this board a Happy 4th of July and celebrate in the American Spirit. Show your flags. I am a vet and want to see lots of flags. Glenn
A happy 4th to you too! I have my flag out and changed my avatar!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
I own a Singer 128, made in Elizabeth NJ in 1921. She is not a Featherweight, she is 1 3/4 machine and is 15 inches long. I just posted a picture of her on page 1256. She hasn't been cleaned up yet!
Here is a You Tube video that will help you to figure out how to wind the long bobbin on your 128:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreadleL.../8/GOu4-CG8RMU

She also has a video showing how to load the bobbin into the shuttle.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
There was an add on CL that had a machine for sale because she had upgraded. Then the same add worded a little different in several different towns. I guessed that to be a spam hunter.
If you want to post an ad for something, in several different sections of your state, you have to word them a bit differently from the others because if you don't then the multiple ads will get pulled from the listing. I've had that happen to some of my ads. Now I just change the wording a little and they are all set.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:32 PM

Is this patriotic enough for you, Glenn? It is "semi" sewing related--the "bunting" is Daisy Kingdom panels from some years back. Unfortunately though, it was hemmed on a serger.
Originally Posted by Glenn
I want to wish all on this board a Happy 4th of July and celebrate in the American Spirit. Show your flags. I am a vet and want to see lots of flags. Glenn
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219567.jpe   attachment-219568.jpe