Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-11-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Since it's a chainstitch, I THINK it will be a little easier--though I don't know for sure. Guess I'll find out. I've changed out needlebars on other machines though, so we'll see.
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Lately I've been working on my machines using cardboard flats--they work really well at keeping table tops clean AND catching screws, etc. as they fall.

I worked on my Kruse and Murphy HC a bit over the weekend, but couldn't quite figure out the needle and couldn't make it stitch. I could see the way the needle SHOULD go in, but the only way it fit was backwards. Of course, it wouldn't stitch properly, and kept breaking threads. Finally, someone asked if the needlebar might possibly be backwards. Darned if they weren't right. I haven't taken it apart and put it back together the RIGHT way, but will get around to it eventually, I guess.
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
they have 13 screws in them and I'm dreading it if I loose one.
Do all of your work over a nice thick towel. This way if you drop a screw it won't go anywhere. Good luck on your cleaning :-D
I like the thick towel idea!!!! Brilliant!
This one had an oil bath set up with dried up oil bath, dried up lines, dried up wicks - I've cleaned it once. Now is time to truly disassemble one section at a time and do again -maybe needs a microscope to find all the gunk. It only seems to take a small amount to really mess things over. The thread isn't going around the shuttle right. I think it is gunk. The timing is ok but it isn't going the whole trip. It could also be burrs.

The tension spring is backwards - I have to figure out that one.
If you turn that needle bar you will have to time the machine. It is the same screw to loosen as to time it though. It isn't too hard. If you can read a pattern and sew you can do this. Look at the animation cartoon: http://home.howstuffworks.com/sewing-machine1.htm
Then get another machine to look at while you are working. Take off it's feed dogs too so you can see the hook and needle. Pay close attention to how the needle and the shuttle hook eclipse. There are service manuals free on line. I posted some a while ago. It would be helpful to have one - just about any will tell you what screw you need to loosen to turn that needle bar around or set the timing. You CAN do it!
Anyway loosen the screw (at the top, inside the nose cover) that holds the needle bar on. Turn the needle bar around. Get the needle eye and the hook in position (hard part) Then tighten the screw. If it doesn't work you have to repeat until it does work.

Really cool link!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Tommie, where do you send the machines? I assume you only pay the postage to an APO address, so it wouldn't be terrible. This Admiral might be a candidate for a trip if they're taking e machines. I don't need it and the Necchi both, though I think the Admiral has the better motor.
Yes, you send to the APO addy, then it gets on a military plane. I don't know what groups are sending them over now. You might do a search.
DH and I are currently trying to help a school in CA that has a lady trying to teach 52 girls to sew with 4 machines.
Tommie
Old 07-11-2011, 09:01 AM

Rescued this Bernina Bernette from thrift store. It is a model 705. After her beauty treatment and a new bobbin case and power/food cord, she is ready to go. Supposedly made by Riccar for Bernina. It has a few different stitches and makes buttonholes. Not bad for an older gal.
Tommie
Attached Thumbnails attachment-224872.jpe   attachment-224873.jpe   attachment-224874.jpe  
Old 07-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by BoJangles

To those of you who think they need to 'time' a FW or any of the old machines, Billy has always said that it is nearly impossible to mess up the timing on those vintage machines. He has commented several times about people who think the timing is off -- and it is not off -- something else is wrong.
Nancy
It might be that the "finger", under the needle plate, , isn't in the right place. That's a common thing to happen after someone does some cleaning under there.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will take more time to open her up and look at what's happening with the needle going down.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:02 PM

Marie M. thanks for the welcome. I am confused by the numbers that you guys use, example would be 66, 99 and so on where do these come from? I looked up my Bella and she seems to have been born in 1908. Just happened to notice she does not have a light attached, don't know what that is all about or how I can fix it but I was already looking at Billy's tut for disassembly and almost dove in. I just need to BREATHE!! Well here she is

ain't she sweet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225008[/ATTACH]

see no light
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225009[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-225002.jpe   attachment-225003.jpe   attachment-225004.jpe  
Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts
Marie M. thanks for the welcome. I am confused by the numbers that you guys use, example would be 66, 99 and so on where do these come from? I looked up my Bella and she seems to have been born in 1908. Just happened to notice she does not have a light attached, don't know what that is all about or how I can fix it but I was already looking at Billy's tut for disassembly and almost dove in. I just need to BREATHE!! Well here she is
She is a beauty !!

Texas Jan
Old 07-11-2011, 12:10 PM

I have a bit of trivia history to share with everyone. While cleaning out sewing room I ran across a Good Housekeeping magazine from 1958. There was an ad for the Singer 401A as one of the best new items for the year. Thought that was pretty interesting. Bobbie
Old 07-11-2011, 01:03 PM

I need help, I looked at this machine it is missing a bar? across the bottom to hold the foot peddle up and the wood on top need to be replaced.
What do you think? thanks http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/atq/2478168301.html
Old 07-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grannysewer
I have a bit of trivia history to share with everyone. While cleaning out sewing room I ran across a Good Housekeeping magazine from 1958. There was an ad for the Singer 401A as one of the best new items for the year. Thought that was pretty interesting. Bobbie
I'd love to see a scan of it!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/wan/2486204199.html
if you NEED a good laugh... odd or creepy? Sewing machines???