Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-12-2011, 06:56 AM

Century, with no other name (there are others such as Century Grand, etc.) is listed as being made by Davis.
Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Has anyone here heard of the Century brand of sewing machine. It is a treadle. I'm going to look at one tomorrow so I was trying to find some info on it. The SN is 857553. The seller did tell me is uses the bullet type bobbin which is missing. Just want to be sure if I decide on it that I can get parts. :)
Old 07-12-2011, 06:57 AM

If you put wood runners under the wheels, it will raise them enough to treadle easily.
I have seen some treadles that won't work at all on carpet!!
[quote=BoJangles][quote=Miz Johnny]If your treadle is sitting on carpet, it can make it very hard (or impossible) to treadle.

Miz Johnny, I think it depends on the length of your carpet? All my treadles are on carpet and I have no trouble treadling any of them except Betty, my Davis. She is work to treadle - I get a good work out everytime I put a binding on with that treadle!

Nancy
Old 07-12-2011, 07:05 AM

my singer 404 came with the same cabinet at my local thrift store!
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I was in a thrift store today and got real excited and bought a 500A, for $30. The machine looked to be in good shape and the cabinet was not bad. Hubby brought it home as I had class. I got home and looked at it I discovered that there were no cams with it. I can not go on e-bay as my computer will not let me in. Does any one have any cams that they would like to sell me? Kathie
Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 AM

Probably more like this one:

http://karen-logcabinquilter.blogspo...g-machine.html

They are very cheaply made. I have one here somewhere with a different name, but have never tried to sew on it.
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I was given a Margart sewing machine today. It said made in Japan. It was the size of a F W. What can you tell me about this sewing machine? Hubby took it home when the person realized that her mother-in-law gave it to her to display in her shop. I gave it back :(. The decals were perfect and were really cute flowers. Kathie
Kathie, if the machine was called Margart, small like a FW, and made in Japan, it was probably one of the 99 clones. After the war Japan made 15 clones and 99 clones. I would have loved to see a picture of the machine.

Nancy
Old 07-12-2011, 07:12 AM

I found these in a box of attachments given to our 8th grade quilting class...they are low shank, side clamp, but don't know if they are for old treadles (I kinda think so cuz of the ruffler) or old singers. Did Singer make any low shank machines Billy? If anyone needs them let me know. I could get get them in a $5 postage box. Just reimburse for shipping. No name on box either.

lots of pieces
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225281[/ATTACH]

you can see side clamp
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225282[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-225275.jpe   attachment-225276.jpe  
Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 AM

Singer made some slant shank machines such as 301, 400 series, 500 series, but most Singer machines were low shank. these may have come with any number of machines, including the "newer" Japanese imports.
Originally Posted by LindaR
I found these in a box of attachments given to our 8th grade quilting class...they are low shank, side clamp, but don't know if they are for old treadles (I kinda think so cuz of the ruffler) or old singers. Did Singer make any low shank machines Billy? If anyone needs them let me know. I could get get them in a $5 postage box. Just reimburse for shipping. No name on box either.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 AM

Kathie, if the machine was called Margart, small like a FW, and made in Japan, it was probably one of the 99 clones. After the war Japan made 15 clones and 99 clones. I would have loved to see a picture of the machine.

Nancy[/quote]

Nancy, the machine should be at Runs with scissors for ladies night out. I looked on the internet and read that it was a Morse. It is the cutest machine. Kathie
Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
I found these in a box of attachments...they are low shank, side clamp, old singers. Did Singer make any low shank machines Billy? If anyone needs them let me know. I could get get them in a $5 postage box. Just reimburse for shipping. No name on box either.
Sent you a PM. I'd like those attachments if no one else has claimed them yet. ~ Chris
Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 AM

[quote=Miz Johnny]If you put wood runners under the wheels, it will raise them enough to treadle easily.
I have seen some treadles that won't work at all on carpet!!
[quote=BoJangles][quote=Miz Johnny]If your treadle is sitting on carpet, it can make it very hard (or impossible) to treadle. [quote]

I had to put something on the floor also my treadle would not treadle. On one I put a large piece of wood and the other a cardboard cutting mat. Kathie
Old 07-12-2011, 07:36 AM

practically a freebie $5

http://nh.craigslist.org/for/2489104596.html

Make an offer:
http://nh.craigslist.org/atq/2455462105.html