Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

I gave up on the 241 - I put it on CL and someone is getting it tomorrow. In ways, I'm sad to see it go. It is utterly well engineered. It is probably industrial at it's finest. That machine was used by a lady to do decorating. Then she let it set in the basement for a very long time.
The table is industrial beautiful nice legs beautiful wood.
I don't feel like it beat me. Right now I am the only one with any kind of job so I don't have a ton of time to mess with it. But, I have another I use so it was taking up too much space. I sold a couple other machines last week too. We have a mammoth project going with a house we bought in a tax sale - I've felt overwhelmed by too many things lately. And I'm thinking I have what I really NEED right now. I just need to make it all work for me. The house we are working on is in pretty sorry shape. We got it pretty cheap so we own it outright. It will take a lot of sweat to get things in good shape though. I'm hoping to get a blog going on it sometime. I'm not much of a computer wiz. I might have to get some help on getting the blog going.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:43 PM

Sorry--list I used is in Encyclopedia of Antique Sewing Machines by Charles Law. There's a short list here:

http://rustybobbin.com/blog/?cat=15&paged=2

and the ISMACS needle list might help:

http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...eedle-list.pdf
Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Hi, Miz Johnny, do you have the link to the site you found? I still can't find anything and I even looked under Davis. Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Century, with no other name (there are others such as Century Grand, etc.) is listed as being made by Davis.
Has anyone here heard of the Century brand of sewing machine. It is a treadle. I'm going to look at one tomorrow so I was trying to find some info on it. The SN is 857553. The seller did tell me is uses the bullet type bobbin which is missing. Just want to be sure if I decide on it that I can get parts. :)
Old 07-12-2011, 04:45 PM

Amazing work on the cabinet!
Originally Posted by Bennett
Thought y'all would appreciate some pictures. This is the 127 treadle that I've been working on. Just got the drawers back on the cabinet this afternoon. I wasn't trying to do a "perfect" restoration, just get it cleaned up and in better repair. I did take the veneer off the drawers and us that to repair some larger chips in other places. The wood underneath was oak, so I just stained that a dark color (going for some contrast). It still has some nicks and stains. I think it was in a barn for some time. Took off the old shellac, put on a few new coats, and it's nice and shiny! The drawer "cases" were badly beat up, so I just reversed the left/right to take advantage of the nicer veneer that had been on the inside face.

Started in on cleaning the machine last night *after* chipping out the dirt dauber nests built up in the pillar.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by luce321
Billy, I have a Necchi, Model No. 536FB, and it has another number 10534. It is in a nice desk type cabinet and is in good condition. It also sews very well. Can you tell me what year it was made? I have checked on line without success. Would appreciate any info you can give me.

Thanks,

Lucy
There's a list in the nechhisewingmachineclub files (yahoo group).
Old 07-12-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Guess what?

I bought my second Singer 301, tan... with original manual, buttonhole maker, attachments and original cabinet. It is DIRTY! I don't even want it in our home.

My turn to do the happy dance. Will be posting photos tomorrow, I hope. Paid $70. Another craigslist find. Love that site. :-D
If it's too dirty for your house...send her my way! She's the one I'm waiting for! And since you already have one....{hint} {hint}!!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:05 PM

Thank you so much!! I did locate the Centery on the needle info site which is great. I joined ISMACS newletter so I can post on there as soon as they approve me. YEAH, this has been a fun search...it was challenging!

Sorry--list I used is in Encyclopedia of Antique Sewing Machines by Charles Law. There's a short list here:

http://rustybobbin.com/blog/?cat=15&paged=2

and the ISMACS needle list might help:

http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...eedle-list.pdf
Hi, Miz Johnny, do you have the link to the site you found? I still can't find anything and I even looked under Davis. Thanks so much!

Century, with no other name (there are others such as Century Grand, etc.) is listed as being made by Davis.
Has anyone here heard of the Century brand of sewing machine. It is a treadle. I'm going to look at one tomorrow so I was trying to find some info on it. The SN is 857553. The seller did tell me is uses the bullet type bobbin which is missing. Just want to be sure if I decide on it that I can get parts. :)
Old 07-12-2011, 07:43 PM

Probably more like this one:

http://karen-logcabinquilter.blogspo...g-machine.html

They are very cheaply made. I have one here somewhere with a different name, but have never tried to sew on it.
Miz Johnny, I bet you are right! I hadn't thought about the Cinderella machine! That would explain the 1/2 size and the pretty flowers!

Nancy
Old 07-12-2011, 07:50 PM

Here is a nice 66 in a cabinet, just needs power cord for cheap.
http://wichita.craigslist.org/fuo/2491429380.html
Tommie
Old 07-12-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
I gave up on the 241 - I put it on CL and someone is getting it tomorrow. In ways, I'm sad to see it go. It is utterly well engineered. It is probably industrial at it's finest. That machine was used by a lady to do decorating. Then she let it set in the basement for a very long time.
The table is industrial beautiful nice legs beautiful wood.
I don't feel like it beat me. Right now I am the only one with any kind of job so I don't have a ton of time to mess with it. But, I have another I use so it was taking up too much space. I sold a couple other machines last week too. We have a mammoth project going with a house we bought in a tax sale - I've felt overwhelmed by too many things lately. And I'm thinking I have what I really NEED right now. I just need to make it all work for me. The house we are working on is in pretty sorry shape. We got it pretty cheap so we own it outright. It will take a lot of sweat to get things in good shape though. I'm hoping to get a blog going on it sometime. I'm not much of a computer wiz. I might have to get some help on getting the blog going.
Mariam don't feel bad about the machine!~ I am sure it is in much better shape now then when you got it, and now that machine has a chance to survive again and be useful! Good luck with all your renovating! It sounds like tons of work, but a good type of work!

Nancy
Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Guess what?

I bought my second Singer 301, tan... with original manual, buttonhole maker, attachments and original cabinet. It is DIRTY! I don't even want it in our home.

My turn to do the happy dance. Will be posting photos tomorrow, I hope. Paid $70. Another craigslist find. Love that site. :-D
If it's too dirty for your house...send her my way! She's the one I'm waiting for! And since you already have one....{hint} {hint}!!
Randa, this one is still for sale...

http://kpr.craigslist.org/atq/2426926820.html

You want the tan one? I thought you wanted the black 301!

Here is the ad of the one I bought today...

http://kpr.craigslist.org/atq/2489079605.html

:-D

One of my 301s will go on my craigslist-find Grace frame. Will have to sew with both to determine which one to use.