Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-13-2011, 07:16 PM

I just posted my new machine on http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-11.htm
I need to find a way to mount the foot treadle to the bottom of the cabinet. I had to wait 2 days for someone to help me take it out of the car to check the date.It was killing me to wait. I took the original one way stright rollers off and mounted these so I can move it.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Chris,
I made your zucchini bread today. YUMMY! It is the best zucchini bread that I have made, very tasty. Thanks!
can I have the recipe, please?
Thanks
Old 07-13-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Chris, I made your zucchini bread today. YUMMY! It is the best zucchini bread that I have made, very tasty. Thanks!
can I have the recipe, please? Thanks
Yes, it's its own topic under Awesome Zucchini Bread. Let me look for it and I'll post the URL. Go to http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-135954-1.htm for the recipe. Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:13 AM
Power Poster

[quote=Phyllis nm]
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
I have cleaned this singer 500, I swear it had sand dumped in it. It was hard to turn the dials on the front. It is clean now but I can not get the calm to go back in. It pops out and will not stay in. I set the front dial to B and the back dial to L and special, it’s the #1 cam. The dials trun much better.I took the motor out cleaned the sand off and greased the worm gear. I don’t know what else to do.
Thanks
have you taken the cam stack off and cleaned it and the spring? Get the service manual - it's free and then check out how to remove the stack. It isn't very hard to do. Maybe clean up the spring too - if all else fails, I think I have a spring. While you are in there clean the worm gear under the cam stack. Free manual:http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ng-machine.pdf free service manual - it starts at page 125 and goes until the end: http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/306W25.pdf

I used 3-in-one all over everywhere on the first one I ever had (401G) and it took some doing but I got it off and then slicked up. WARNING: DON'T EVER EVER EVER USE 3 IN ONE OIL.

Nope, I did not take the cam stack out,,I will get the instructions and start over. I cleaned the worm gear on the motor when I checked the carbons. thanks.
They run so much better when you clean the carbons.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:01 AM

(They run so much better when you clean the carbons.)quote
Gotta ask, what are the carbons?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
(They run so much better when you clean the carbons.)quote
Gotta ask, what are the carbons?
Thanks! I don't know what that means either. :lol:
Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by kwendt
I found a beat up, falling apart parlor type cabinet.
The old glue is defunct. All the joins are coming apart. The veneer, which was a sheet over the boards, is cracked top to bottom where the boards were glued edge to edge. What glue would you recommend for old, dried out 1880 wood?
First the glue used in these old cabinets is hyde glue (you know the kind melted in hot glue pots) This old glue must come off before any glue will stick. Everything must come apart so the old glue can be removed fortunately is water soluble and can be soften with hot water and a rag and then gently scraped off. You can use any wood glue but hyde glue will be the mark proper retoration and will not devalue the piece. Pm me later and I will go into detail on the rest. Don't worry about the dry look we will take care of this after the repairs are complete. Remember wood does not need to be fed it is dead. It does not need to be oiled. It is dry because of a lack of moisture. Propably stored in a very warm place and this is also why the glue let go. Glenn
Thanks, Glenn. You bet I'll PM you next week or so. I'll take pictures of what I have, put together sort of. Then take it apart again carefully. Then I'll PM you. Not sure where to find replacement Hyde glue, but I'll google. Yes, this piece was stored in someone's garage for 50 years it looks like. Hot, humid florida.

I'm now contacting museums to see if anyone else has one of these exact cabinets. And yes, I did contact TreadleOn and the Yahoo Vintage White group to see if any of those folks know of replacement parts. If this is one of the few remaining #9's, I'll need to restore this carefully and properly.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
It may be Mother's Mag chrome polish amd it might be found at WM or KMart but also at automotive stores. I just smile sweetly when they ask why I want that and say to polish my sewing machine of course. Speechless, every time.:mrgreen:
I have used Similchrome polish too (recommened also by Billy, found at Ace Hardware store). It works as well. I cannot compare it to Mother's Mag.... since I've not used MM. But Billy and others recommend that too.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Glenn, I had to laugh when you wrote this:'Remember wood does not need to be fed it is dead.'

That brings back memories of all the controversy about how to care for wood furniture; leather too! :-D
Linda, yes and woodworkers are still up in arms over this. It is funny at that. I had a lady bring me a table to restore. She tried to do it herself the problem was that a famous woodworker told he to strip the piece and then feed the wood linseed oil. She came to me saying that the wood would not take a stain nor would shellac stick to the wood. It took me three days to strip the oil so I could refinish the thing. Glenn
wow.... even I know better. :shock:
Old 07-14-2011, 09:50 AM

A future treadler on our hands!! She is only 5 but she treadled beautifully see video here
http://youtu.be/Vrmds-bDFWU

here is here picture. I am so proud I could burst!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-226347.jpe