Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-14-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cheri_J
Sob Sob Sob... I have seven vintage singers - dated between 1921 - 1924. Three are portables - in the coffin wooden cases and three are in the treadle cabinets. One is "loose" no case or cabinet. The reason I'm sad is because my husband refuses to let me bring anymore home. He thinks seven machines is enough. He said we don't have enough house to have any more. He is right, we really don't have the room, but I would love to have more. Everyone's machines are great here.
Mine asked today just what I was going to do with all of them. I think I'll be good for awhile till the heat is off.

Texas Jan (who bought one today)
Old 07-14-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2
abbyquilts, super cute U-tube video of your niece treadling.
I so agree! Super cute little girl aka a sewing enthusiast!

By the way, gramquilter2, your 'quilt inspector' looks so precious in your avatar!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by Cheri_J
Sob Sob Sob... I have seven vintage singers - dated between 1921 - 1924. Three are portables - in the coffin wooden cases and three are in the treadle cabinets. One is "loose" no case or cabinet. The reason I'm sad is because my husband refuses to let me bring anymore home. He thinks seven machines is enough. He said we don't have enough house to have any more. He is right, we really don't have the room, but I would love to have more. Everyone's machines are great here.
Mine asked today just what I was going to do with all of them. I think I'll be good for awhile till the heat is off.

Texas Jan (who bought one today)
I have one on CL and somebody didn't show to get it tonight. I don't even know how many I have right now - some really do need to go. I gave some in the garage here, some at another garage, some in the basement in all kinds of hidyholes. Some are parts machines for sure. Some actually work, some need some kind of attention... and then there are some that probably need more than I know how to do yet - I'll get there...
Old 07-14-2011, 03:43 PM

I went to a yard sale that was being held in two trailers. The first one was a truck trailer, the second was an old house trailer. The house trailer has a treadle that was just really ruined cabinet wise. The machine was some private label that was in bad shape. I left it there. The other was a Singer 66 Red Eye that has been electrified. The manufacture date is 6-10-1914. The cabinet base is wood and rotted out, but the decals are really good. She took $20.00 for it and off I went, complete with bird poop, hay and weed clippings and wood from the case falling off with every step. It was 107 degrees when I got home, so all I have done is take it out of the car into the garage, snap a few pictures and head for the air conditioning. I'll try to free her from the cabinet base tomorrow before it gets too hot.

Texas Jan
Attached Thumbnails attachment-226514.jpe   attachment-226515.jpe   attachment-226516.jpe  
Old 07-14-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
This would be out of my league, I think. :) I did use this for some references on types of older finishes:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/41922059/F...d-Restoration. Good luck!
Thanks, Bennett..... Yeah, a 'real' restoration is outta my league too. But I figure, if I follow good advice, I might be able to restore the cabinet. I can't undo the router damage already done to the top, but for now... if I can get it back together, I'll use it with a Singer full sized head. What the heck have I got to lose? Nothing. lol. Haven't heard one word from anyone over at the vintage white yahoo group. Could be that no one else has this White cabinet #9. I find this sort of thing intriguing as all get out. Thanks again... kim
Old 07-14-2011, 03:53 PM

Nice save on that 66 Red Head, Jan. From the looks of the pictures, I'd be tempted to ditch the motor and treadle it. Great find! Glenn would LOVE it! Actually, a lot of us would!

Oh, and if we're counting... I think I have 13 vintage machines. I think. I'm not really sure. I KNOW I have two 'modern' ones.

I shudder to think how many machines Tommie, Brenda, Billy, Glenn, Char or VM have! Oh wait! Billy has one of mine in his shop, so I guess I have 14 vintage machines! lol....
Old 07-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by miriam

I would get some penetrating oil from below (turn her upside down - be very careful of your paint though. Then I would try heat on that screw. DH has more strength than I do for that. He had to drill one out with some special kind of tool once. I stayed out of his way... I usually use a screw driver tip from out of the kind that stores in the handle and a tiny wrench to get those off - I used to have a long screw driver ground at a slight angle worked pretty good - it was stolen a while back... It is very hard sometimes to get that screw out because of the angle you have to work at. I'd hate to see the repair bill just getting that screw out.... and I'd hate to hear somebody talking to that machine...

When you lift the lid what do you see the shuttle doing? You said you got thread out. Is the notch in it's right place or is it spinning around under there? You did say it turned nice. http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ght-manual.pdf look at the info on page 12. It has a great photo of how it is suppose to look. I realize it is a FW but they look about the same. If it is not set like that it could be your problem. But you still have to get the plate off and reset the notch if that is what is wrong.
OK, yes, I'll try again tonite since the WD40 will have been on for 24 hours. The finger is in the notch correctly. I just can't see what's happening, because I can't get the throat plate off!! LOL Catch-22 here!! I even have the bobbin holder out, and I still can't see what's going on. I was prepared to take everything apart last night, and then I had that stupid screw stuck in there!! I took the oil cover off the bottom and looked up there with a flashlight, and that's how I saw the thread wrapped around. I used my handy little seam ripper and got out what I could see.

Phyllis, when I turn the handwheel the needle bar does move up and down, but the needle won't go down the throat. It's hitting on something that I can't see. That's where the problem is. When I asked if it could be out of time, everyone thought that was doubtful. So..... OK, Round 2 tonite!!!\
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuwyGYd75g DH used some kind of thing similar but it wasn't inside the harp - it was a stuck screw on my Elna's free arm. Then the throat plate is stuck on a different identical machine... and it is still stuck. I'm missing my long angled screw driver - I'm thinking I need to see if DH's grinder is hooked up... :?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Glenn
I found a beat up, falling apart parlor type cabinet.
The old glue is defunct. All the joins are coming apart. The veneer, which was a sheet over the boards, is cracked top to bottom where the boards were glued edge to edge. What glue would you recommend for old, dried out 1880 wood?
First the glue used in these old cabinets is hyde glue (you know the kind melted in hot glue pots) This old glue must come off before any glue will stick. Everything must come apart so the old glue can be removed fortunately is water soluble and can be soften with hot water and a rag and then gently scraped off. You can use any wood glue but hyde glue will be the mark proper retoration and will not devalue the piece. Pm me later and I will go into detail on the rest. Don't worry about the dry look we will take care of this after the repairs are complete. Remember wood does not need to be fed it is dead. It does not need to be oiled. It is dry because of a lack of moisture. Propably stored in a very warm place and this is also why the glue let go. Glenn
Thanks, Glenn. You bet I'll PM you next week or so. I'll take pictures of what I have, put together sort of. Then take it apart again carefully. Then I'll PM you. Not sure where to find replacement Hyde glue, but I'll google. Yes, this piece was stored in someone's garage for 50 years it looks like. Hot, humid florida.

I'm now contacting museums to see if anyone else has one of these exact cabinets. And yes, I did contact TreadleOn and the Yahoo Vintage White group to see if any of those folks know of replacement parts. If this is one of the few remaining #9's, I'll need to restore this carefully and properly.
I am ready to help when you are looking forward to this project. You can buy the glue from Lee Valley or Rockler.
Glenn
Old 07-14-2011, 04:44 PM

Cheri, I have several machines. I put the portables on top of the cabinets ones. That way two machines take up the space of one. I am getting machine # 21 tomorrow. Kathie
Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 PM

Nice save on that 66 Red Head, Jan. From the looks of the pictures, I'd be tempted to ditch the motor and treadle it. Great find! Glenn would LOVE it! Actually, a lot of us would!

Oh, and if we're counting... I think I have 13 vintage machines. I think. I'm not really sure. I KNOW I have two 'modern' ones.

I shudder to think how many machines Tommie, Brenda, Billy, Glenn, Char or VM have! Oh wait! Billy has one of mine in his shop, so I guess I have 14 vintage machines! lol....
I am going to ditch the motor and get a large wheel and probably hand crank it. I think I have 8 vintage ones, and husband is grumbling. I have most of the models I want, I think-----

Oh well.

Texas Jan