Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-16-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
I hope to look at this machine tomorrow but want to have some information before hand. Does anyone know have any idea what this machine may be. The seller does not have any more pictures and I am waiting for him to answer my questions.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/atq/2493323362.html

Now to go back and read all the posts for the last 2 days. I love this shop.
Perhaps a badged National?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:10 AM

I'm doing a happy dance!! I just got an incredible deal on a Singer 28 handcrank (Serial F5687208) with Victorian decals!! Commissioned in 1914, and purchased in England in 1915...I'm her 4th owner, the gentleman's grandmother purchased her new in 1915, and his mother sewed all of his clothing as a child on her. He and his wife have never used her, and I didn't ask why none of the family wanted her. I did tell her that if for any reason she came to regret the sale that I would have her...and would sell her back.
Pictures tonight when I get home! :)
Old 07-16-2011, 11:13 AM

Congrats Charlee. That is a real treasure. I love buying machines that were somone's grandmothers. I have several in that category. :-D
Old 07-16-2011, 11:46 AM

Loots like a National Model "VB-TT". It's beautiful!!
Originally Posted by quilt addict
I hope to look at this machine tomorrow but want to have some information before hand. Does anyone know have any idea what this machine may be. The seller does not have any more pictures and I am waiting for him to answer my questions.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/atq/2493323362.html

Now to go back and read all the posts for the last 2 days. I love this shop.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:46 AM

I've seen lots of machines advertised as "my grandmother's" that I didn't believe for a nanosecond...this one I actually believe! :lol: They had the neatest accents..much like I imagine MUV to sound! ;) They were of the "right" age to be the grandchildren of the original owner as well...
Old 07-16-2011, 12:12 PM

I'm confuzzled. I found a Singer treadle on CL that I'm interested in, and going to look at tomorrow. I looked up the serial number on the Singer site, but it's not matching what I'm seeing. The serial # is G9005886. According to the website, that makes it a 27. A quick google tells me that the 27 has a vibrating/boat shuttle, but the pic he has posted (I can repost it if it'll help) clearly shows a round bobbin. What am I missing?

It's not a great picture, but from what I can see of the decals, they don't look like the red eye; maybe one of the really flowery ones. Are the decals different between models, or are the same decals on all models from a certain factory/time period?
Old 07-16-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
I'm confuzzled. I found a Singer treadle on CL that I'm interested in, and going to look at tomorrow. I looked up the serial number on the Singer site, but it's not matching what I'm seeing. The serial # is G9005886. According to the website, that makes it a 27. A quick google tells me that the 27 has a vibrating/boat shuttle, but the pic he has posted (I can repost it if it'll help) clearly shows a round bobbin. What am I missing?

It's not a great picture, but from what I can see of the decals, they don't look like the red eye; maybe one of the really flowery ones. Are the decals different between models, or are the same decals on all models from a certain factory/time period?
The serial number shows as a model 66, Sept 20, 1921 which would have the round bobbin. Some of the same machine models had various decals....in my experience, ALL of the "Redeye" decals are 66's...
Old 07-16-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

The serial number shows as a model 66, Sept 20, 1921 which would have the round bobbin. Some of the same machine models had various decals....in my experience, ALL of the "Redeye" decals are 66's...
Oh-oops. I dropped a number in the serial number when I was looking it up. :oops: Thanks for setting me on the right track! That does look more like what I'm looking at.

It may yet be a redeye. It's not a great pic, and the owner told me it was dirty-had been in someone's barn before he bought it at a fund-raising auction. He says it works though, but needs a new belt. Guess I'll find out tomorrow! :-D
Old 07-16-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
Originally Posted by Charlee

Oh-oops. I dropped a number in the serial number when I was looking it up. :oops: Thanks for setting me on the right track! That does look more like what I'm looking at.

It may yet be a redeye. It's not a great pic, and the owner told me it was dirty-had been in someone's barn before he bought it at a fund-raising auction. He says it works though, but needs a new belt. Guess I'll find out tomorrow! :-D
If I had a nickle for every time I've dropped a number when looking up a machine, I'd have at least $5!! :lol:

We'll be excited to see pictures of her! :)
Old 07-16-2011, 12:48 PM

Now I've never done anything like this before. As posted in various places, I have a Singer 126 and a Singer 128. After taking off the plate where the power cord attached, I can see a difference in the way the knee control "motor" is wired. Ok, next I took the a plate off the motor of the 128 (parts) to see how is was wired. Well, it was a little different but not too much. After doing all this, I discovered that I didn't have to take the cover off the 128 at all. The power cord simply screws into 2 connectors on the right hand side plate. My problem is that I don't a way to take the connectors from the parts machine and attached them to the good machine. When I tried to remove the "plug" the wire just fell apart in my hand and I can't see a way to re-attach the wire.

Should I just give up and take it to my service guy???????

I so wanted to be a "good sewing machine mechanic". :(