Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
If he's selling them, you won't stop him. He's making great art.
Originally Posted by miriam
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/clt/2501094985.html
This turkey needs to be stopped. Maybe we can ALL answer his ad. I know I will when my blood pressure goes back down to sort of normal.
you got it
Old 07-19-2011, 11:27 AM

I lied. I've fallen and I can't shut up. I have been told by Reliable Folks that the same motor won't fit in a 400 series AND 500 series. Billy?

Originally Posted by jtapp9
I have a 503a thats missing a few parts, including the bobbin winder. That is missing becasue previous owner changed motors and new motor isn't made for bobbin winders.

Will this motor work? Is the extended top part the difference in the motors? Is that a decent price?(for those of you work on electrics)

http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-SEWING-MA...item2c5dcced91

I watched her swap out another motor so I am thinking of repairing this 503a. It needs the different motor, the bobbin winder, and the top lid (which has all the instructions for the cams). I have a full set of cams and my daughter was playing with it yesterday and man did it have a beautiful stitch! The tension needs adjusted but it was still awesome. I'm thinking of repairing it and gifting it to her if she wants it....and if not then I'll sell it and say I got the experience of working on one...lol. She seemed interested at the moment, but she's 23 and sews rather sporadically :). She actually has a D9P started right now that she is doing totally on her own.

My 500a just arrived at Billy's and I'm so excited about getting it repaired!
The motor looks right but it is hard to say from that picture. I wonder if the motor the lady put in your machine was from a Touch 'N Sew. They fit but they are not the same gear top. Can you find the lady again and swap back? Take the messed up motor in to a shop and they can clean it up. You do need one with the gear thing sticking up so the bobbin will wind - I believe I would ask the place you are looking at buying from what it was out of. Too bad you didn't change the 500 and the 503 motors out before you sent the 500 to Billy - maybe he could have swapped it out for something that would do the job. The 20 something kids love those Rocketeer machines. I gave one to my DIL and she loves it - what's not to?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

I lied. I've fallen and I can't shut up. I have been told by Reliable Folks that the same motor won't fit in a 400 series AND 500 series. Billy?

I have a 503a thats missing a few parts, including the bobbin winder. That is missing becasue previous owner changed motors and new motor isn't made for bobbin winders.

Will this motor work? Is the extended top part the difference in the motors? Is that a decent price?(for those of you work on electrics)

I watched her swap out another motor so I am thinking of repairing this 503a. It needs the different motor, the bobbin winder, and the top lid (which has all the instructions for the cams). I have a full set of cams and my daughter was playing with it yesterday and man did it have a beautiful stitch! The tension needs adjusted but it was still awesome. I'm thinking of repairing it and gifting it to her if she wants it....and if not then I'll sell it and say I got the experience of working on one...lol. She seemed interested at the moment, but she's 23 and sews rather sporadically :). She actually has a D9P started right now that she is doing totally on her own.

The motor looks right but it is hard to say from that picture. I wonder if the motor the lady put in your machine was from a Touch 'N Sew. They fit but they are not the same gear top. Can you find the lady again and swap back? Take the messed up motor in to a shop and they can clean it up. You do need one with the gear thing sticking up so the bobbin will wind - I believe I would ask the place you are looking at buying from what it was out of. Too bad you didn't change the 500 and the 503 motors out before you sent the 500 to Billy - maybe he could have swapped it out for something that would do the job. The 20 something kids love those Rocketeer machines. I gave one to my DIL and she loves it - what's not to?
I'm thinking you might be right. I'm thinking he top end is different. But I do know for sure the Touch and Sew is different. I should go open a couple up and look.

Ok I looked - they are NOT the same. The 401 is wider than the 500 at the top.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 AM

I'm thinking you might be right. I'm thinking he top end is different. But I do know for sure the Touch and Sew is different. I should go open a couple up and look.

Forgive me if I sound stupid but what do you mean wider at the top? Where at the top? I know the original motor for the 503 should have that extra metal piece above the bushing(?). I know that is the bobbin winder part. The replacement motor that is in mine right now does NOT have that part, that is why the bobbin winder is missing.

No I can't get the original motor from the last owner :(. To her it was no issue. She preferred the straight stich only machines and owns an alterations shop with SEVERAL and didn't "need' that bobbin winder so told her repair man that motor was fine. I am one of the weird ones that does NOT like a machine to be missing parts....thats just me. I went ahead and bought it from her because it was cheap and it does sew great! :). I can't help myself but I'll probably never be able to bond with it if I don't replace the motor/bobbin winder and top lid....
Old 07-19-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
I found this today, I have never seen one before have you?

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/atq/2502367058.html
Actually, yes!! Someone gave me one very similar recently to give to my grandaughter who is taking fashion design in college. The doors were different, but the inside was nearly identical....and it certainly is NOT an antique!! LOL Some people's idea of what an antique is really is so so ..... well, I have no words!!! LOL LOL LOL
Old 07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Forgive me if I sound stupid but what do you mean wider at the top? Where at the top? I know the original motor for the 503 should have that extra metal piece above the bushing(?). I know that is the bobbin winder part. The replacement motor that is in mine right now does NOT have that part, that is why the bobbin winder is missing.

No I can't get the original motor from the last owner :(. To her it was no issue. She preferred the straight stich only machines and owns an alterations shop with SEVERAL and didn't "need' that bobbin winder so told her repair man that motor was fine. I am one of the weird ones that does NOT like a machine to be missing parts....thats just me. I went ahead and bought it from her because it was cheap and it does sew great! :). I can't help myself but I'll probably never be able to bond with it if I don't replace the motor/bobbin winder and top lid....
The gear looking thing goes on top. It is built in. You either have a motor that fits or you do not have a motor that fits. I like mine to have all the right parts too. I think I would be very irritated with that woman. Glad it was cheap though. The gear no doubt turns just under the bobbin winder if it is the wrong motor. The 503's top gear thing is smaller around than the others.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Does anyone, by chance, recognize this machine? I tried enhancing the pics but got too blurry. Thanks!

http://jackson.craigslist.org/atq/2500446767.html
It looks like a White, probably made in Japan(1960s). My grandma had one similar to that one.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Originally Posted by Bennett
Okay, I think I've found another one I want. (I seem to have the "I want its" pretty bad lately!) The red eye decals are growing on me! Even my BIL thought it was cool.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/atq/2498113118.html

Any red flags? I wrote and asked for the serial #, but seller gave what sounded like the number off the motor and said that was the only one she could find that looked like a serial #. I'm wondering if it would be rude to send a picture of where it's located.

It looks nice to me, but I'm still new to this. I'd probably ditch the motor and put her back in a treadle.

Also, does anyone know what model this would be? Looks like it has a place for cams, but again, I'm so new at this I have no idea! :) I just keep seeing stuff that interests me that I want to know more about!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/2461788660.html
Aw just go ahead and steal that redeye for that price I won't watch.

The other machine is pretty cool but - he says no attachments and the only discs he has are the "built in ones" - he doesn't have all of it..... and he doesn't know it... Look around & price the discs - the attachments are low shank - you can buy new if necessary. Does the cord/motor/light work? How gummed up is it? I think I'd want to buy for $25 or so... it wold be fun to play with for a while.
Yeah, if I can make it happen, that red eye will be mine. :) She will look nice in my newly redone treadle.

The other I was just curious what model it was. I wouldn't pay $75 either! I've been to too many country auctions and estate sales to know better (and be a lot cheaper).
It looks like a 306, takes special needles (206 x13), also make sure it has the bobbin case as they can be hard to find.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
Whew! I did it! I cleaned out the bobbin area. I could see old thread caught in it, so I took it apart, found more thread than I could see, and put it back together. One little baby step at a time.
I'm so proud of you!! I haven't been brave enough to do that yet. :thumbup:
Old 07-19-2011, 12:54 PM

Hi, I bought this machine about 20 years ago when I was living in France. I looked up the serial number and it appears to be from July 1925, model "15K".

I may have had the motor, but don't really remember. All I used it for before was as a table for my more modern machine.

I would like to fix it up and get it running. My husband will help with the refinishing of the cabinet. It seems to me that the most obvious place to start would be a belt. Do you know what I should buy? I have seen them on E-Bay, but with different diameters and lengths. Also, does this model have a name?

Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-228931.jpe   attachment-228932.jpe   attachment-228933.jpe   attachment-228934.jpe   attachment-228936.jpe  

attachment-228937.jpe