Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-19-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by miriam
Sharon is right, take off the plate that is covering the feed dogs. It's either for a buttonholer or a picot hemstitcher. You're also going to want at least a standard straight stitch presser foot.
so that's what the little plate is!!! - *I have one here somewhere...
The plate cover for the buttonholer is usually flat--this looks like a cover for darning or free motion. I could be wrong, too!!
It *really* looks like the plate that came with my picot hemstitcher...that's why I mentioned that...
Charlee, Your plate is different from the other person's plate.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:10 PM

Out in the Wild Today:

One Singer 27 with nice Sphinx decals...had some issues...handwheel didn't move the needle, but the stop action did. It's been electrified...and at the "THRIFT" store (I use the term loosely) they wanted $100 for it.
They also had a nice cabinet (no machine) but the opening was 17 inches x 7.25 inches...think it might have been for a Kenmore as it was too long for my Singers but couldn't find a tag on it. $25.00. With it was one butt-ugly sewing chair, again for $25.00.
Another store had a CUTE little cabinet with a Montgomery Ward Brunswick machine...tiny little thing with a chocolate crinkle finish, and vibrating shuttle. Had some issues with the cabinet top tho, and felt $25.00 was too much.
Another store had a brown lotus for $55....decals were good, but not perfect. They also had a green egg buttonholer for $15.00.

My score of the day tho wasn't really sewing related, altho I wanted it for my room...I needed it for my pincushions, thimbles and notions.... probably paid too much at $15.00, but I wanted it!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-229088.jpe  
Old 07-19-2011, 05:13 PM

Out in the Wild Today:

One Singer 27 with nice Sphinx decals...had some issues...handwheel didn't move the needle, but the stop action did. It's been electrified...and at the "THRIFT" store (I use the term loosely) they wanted $100 for it.
They also had a nice cabinet (no machine) but the opening was 17 inches x 7.25 inches...think it might have been for a Kenmore as it was too long for my Singers but couldn't find a tag on it. $25.00. With it was one butt-ugly sewing chair, again for $25.00.
Another store had a CUTE little cabinet with a Montgomery Ward Brunswick machine...tiny little thing with a chocolate crinkle finish, and vibrating shuttle. Had some issues with the cabinet top tho, and felt $25.00 was too much.
Another store had a brown lotus for $55....decals were good, but not perfect. They also had a green egg buttonholer for $15.00.

My score of the day tho wasn't really sewing related, altho I wanted it for my room...I needed it for my pincushions, thimbles and notions.... probably paid too much at $15.00, but I wanted it!!
CUTE! I love this display of knickknacks.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Sharon is right, take off the plate that is covering the feed dogs. It's either for a buttonholer or a picot hemstitcher. You're also going to want at least a standard straight stitch presser foot.
The plate cover for the buttonholer is usually flat--this looks like a cover for darning or free motion. I could be wrong, too!!
It *really* looks like the plate that came with my picot hemstitcher...that's why I mentioned that...
Yes, slightly. I suspect different brands, and that mine is "younger". There are lots of different plates for the hemstitchers, the one I have only fits my 66-1....it won't fit any of the other Singers.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Okay, Here is a picture of Nickylsf plate (top pic).
And here are pictures of my plate, top side and bottom side.

Nickylsf, you will need to remove the plate to sew with it; unless, you want to just use this machine for darning or free motion quilting/ embroidery. Pretty machine, enjoy!

top of plate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229106[/ATTACH]

bottom side of plate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229107[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-229099.png   attachment-229100.jpe   attachment-229101.jpe  
Old 07-19-2011, 05:20 PM

Nice little unit to display your goodies. $15.00 is not bad these things go for 35 to 50 here in the antique shops. I will have to try more thrift stores in the future.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Have you tried to use that picot thang???
Old 07-19-2011, 05:29 PM

Have you tried to use that picot thang???
Not yet....I haven't gotten my treadle cabinet back from getting refinished, and I took the electric motor off of it and dunno what I did with the case! :lol: I plan to tho, as soon as I get the machine set up to sew and I also need to improvise some rubber "grippers" for the arms of the attachment.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Okay, I think I've found another one I want. (I seem to have the "I want its" pretty bad lately!) The red eye decals are growing on me! Even my BIL thought it was cool.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/atq/2498113118.html

It looks nice to me, but I'm still new to this.
Aw just go ahead and steal that redeye for that price I won't watch.
I agree with miriam!! That's a good price for a red eye that looks so good (from what I can see in the picture). My first vintage machine was a red-eye. They are so-o-o pretty! Good luck--it sounds like you've got bitten by the 'vintage sewing machine virus' :mrgreen:
Old 07-19-2011, 06:11 PM

I printed off the free manual and there was a step by step diagram on how to do it. Next step is to clean underside that tons of old icky oil on it.