Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-23-2011, 07:53 AM

I have been eye-balling a 301 at my local SMRshop, just can't swing right now. But, I will get one.[/quote]

Can you put it on layaway? Kathie
Old 07-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Are the bullet shaped shuttles made to go on just one machine or can one from an old bag of parts fit?
Old 07-23-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
I picked up a gallon ziploc bag of misc sewing stuff at my favorite thrift shop the other day, and now I've got some mystery feet I'm hoping the hive mind can help me ID.

Also, as you can see, some of them are rusty, or otherwise dirty? What's a good way of cleaning them?
Evaporust. You can get it at Harbor Freight.

Texas Jan
Old 07-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Looks like I need to go to Harbor Freight.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I have been eye-balling a 301 at my local SMRshop, just can't swing right now. But, I will get one.
Can you put it on layaway? Kathie[/quote]

My sister in Mesa, AZ has two she says wants to part with - one long bed and a short bed.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:07 AM

I saw this on CL and finally figured out (I think) it's an Elna Plana Supermatic. Can anyone give me the skinny on it? How hard are they to take care of? Hard to find attachments? Straight stitch only? Thanks!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/hsh/2507357346.html
Old 07-23-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
I picked up a gallon ziploc bag of misc sewing stuff at my favorite thrift shop the other day, and now I've got some mystery feet I'm hoping the hive mind can help me ID.

Also, as you can see, some of them are rusty, or otherwise dirty? What's a good way of cleaning them?

Texas Jan
Cool, thanks!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor

Texas Jan
Question about the Evaporust--do you put anything on the parts to protect them afterward? I'm thinking flat pieces would be easy to polish, but I think I might really go nuts if I had to polish a ruffler. :)
Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jljack
Speaking of quilts finished on vintage machines, we had a sew-in at guild meeting yesterday and did a Jelly Roll Race. I took my 301a with me, and guess what....we WON the Jelly Roll Race. There were lots of high $$$ modern machines and about 6 FWs there too, but me and Ida took the prize!!! WooHoo!! Who says 60 years is old? Ida and I were both "born" in 1951. :-) I was so pleased that she did so well....she just purred along!!
Thats what I am saying, send the folks with the new-fangled high dollar machines back to the drawing board!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Billy
Old 07-23-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Speaking of quilts finished on vintage machines, we had a sew-in at guild meeting yesterday and did a Jelly Roll Race. I took my 301a with me, and guess what....we WON the Jelly Roll Race. There were lots of high $$$ modern machines and about 6 FWs there too, but me and Ida took the prize!!! WooHoo!! Who says 60 years is old? Ida and I were both "born" in 1951. :-) I was so pleased that she did so well....she just purred along!!
Congrats! Sounds like you had a blast with Ida. It will be interesting to see who in that group of modern machines starts looking for a vintage e-machine after that event. It is wonderful to sew with these vintage machines over the modern machine. Please post picture of the winning quilt top or whatever was made with the jelly roll. Way to go!!!