Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by JoAnnGC
I'm sure I've lost my mind. I blame it on all of you since I was perfectly sane before I started out with the QB. I was all set to acquire a reasonably priced (i.e., inexpensive) FW. I have been bidding on hundreds of them over the past few months but haven't won yet. Then I came across this cute green thing, became obsessed and forgot about the FWs. I just won an auction on shopgoodwill.com a Husqvarna Viking Automatic Type 21 machine in its original case. It looks pretty good cosmetically and I have no idea what it is really worth or if it will actually work but I just paid what I think is a very reasonable price for it (I almost feel guilty). I am going to try to post the pics from the auction listing and would really appreciate it if anyone can give me any info on this machine as I have not been able to find more than a couple of websites that even mention it. I know I'll probably have to do some cleaning and oiling and I will be happy to receive lots of helpful advice, comments, pros, cons, etc. I'm such a silly girl sometimes...I know part of the reason I love the look of this machine is because it matches my KitchenAid stand mixer (also a pretty green) which is my favorite appliance of all time. I hope I made a good decision. By the way, I lied...I don't think I've ever been perfectly sane...that would be very boring!!! Take a look and tell me what you think of it.
Please let us know how it arrives. I was looking at that one also and emailed to find out how well it was packed for shipping. In reply they said it would be wrapped in bubble wrap and cushioned with wadded up newspapers or styrofoam peanuts. That scared me off. I've seen several machines on that site that look nice but I've been burned several times buying online and I'm gun shy now. But I do hope you're one of the lucky ones!! She was a little beauty!!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:58 AM

And here are a few more pics of the Viking 21...
Whoa! I really like your new machine!!!
I hope it comes home in decent time, and packed well enough to make the trip.

Vikings are great machines. I have found mine to be a workhorse, and very few problems
I will be interested in hearing about the cam system, as I didn't know about the early versions of that. I have the last Viking model made using cams.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Billy;

What are you putting in the coffee?? DH says to stop cuz he doesn't want to see any more new to me machines comes thru the front door. Still have one on reserve that he doesn't know about though. My, what big shoulders you have there. :)

Chris
Next time use the back door he won't know. Then say it followed me home can I keep it pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee? :lol:
Old 06-10-2010, 04:29 AM

Well hubby and I just had our 2nd cup of coffee while visiting the shop. But, now it's off to work so that tomorrow we can go yard sale shopping. Saw a machine w/cabinet for sale along with quilting supplies. Let you know how things go. Have a good day. We still need that large treadle wheel and pitman nut for Singer Ser# AB635082.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyO
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
I allowed myself a little time to look at an antique store today, and was surprised to find several sewing machines. There were also some treadle bases that no longer have the machine. There was a singer - serial #D1127037 - treadle in a parlor cabinet. It is missing the loop that drives the machine, b ut parts seem to move, etc. Decals are - I think someone referred to them as egyptian?? - not in pristine condition. The paper with the machine said '1905'. and they want $399. I am debating, as that seems like a lot. Got to go check the singer site for info...

Editted:
Billy, all I can find is something about 1909, Elizabethtown, NJ. Is there another place to look for info?
It's usually called the "Sphinx" decals I think. That is the machine I have. Mine is from 1905. It's a model 27 vibrating shuttle machine. The one you are looking at was being made in 1908. http://www.singerco.com/pdf/SINGER_D_nos.pdf
I paid $15 for mine... honestly I think $399 is a lot, but it depends on how bad you want it :mrgreen:

ETA: The belt that drives the machine is less than $10 and readily available all over the net (and some local places). One-size-fits-all treadles.
Ashley,
Thanks for the info and the website. The machine at the shop uses bobbins, not a shuttle. Wondered if this is one of the earliest to make that change. Guess I will have to do more research!!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Well hubby and I just had our 2nd cup of coffee while visiting the shop. But, now it's off to work so that tomorrow we can go yard sale shopping. Saw a machine w/cabinet for sale along with quilting supplies. Let you know how things go. Have a good day. We still need that large treadle wheel and pitman nut for Singer Ser# AB635082.
I have it sitting beside me waiting for its new home!

Need to post the photos of it for you.

Billy
Old 06-10-2010, 05:11 AM

I'm sure I've lost my mind.

. . . a Husqvarna Viking Automatic Type 21 machine in its original case.
These were made by Husqvarna and sold as Viking Automatic. There were three editions, the 21, the 21A and the 21E.
. . . I'm not sure if all models have the same options or not and I won't really know until I get mine to see if mine actually comes with the cams. If I get all of these items I will post pics so everyone can see what I am trying to explain. I am very excited but wish I could find someone who is familiar with these.[/quote]

Well, of course I have one of these. (I seem to have one of everything.) Unfortunately, it's buried away somewhere in the basement, but if I come across it in the next few, I'll haul it back out again. (And put it on Ebay, if they're really going that high!)

I believe mine is a 21E. They're all metal; the casing of the machine itself is green aluminum. The model I have came with 3 cams. I know I have the cams, attachments, and manual. The case looks like a 50's suitcase and is lined in green plaid fabric. It is definitely one of the coolest cases I've ever seen.
I really haven't used mine, but do have to caution you on one thing: read the manual carefully before inserting or removing the cams, as they have a tendency to get stuck. Ask me how I now.

I am a Viking person, so I have several models, right up to a 15 year old Model 1 (computerized). That's where I stopped and started my obsession with vintage. I love the Vikings--the 6000 series is one of my all time favorite machines, except for that cracking cam stack thing! I've replaced one of those, and plan to never do so again!!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by Deara
May I introduce you to 'Star', so named for the Variant Star decal on the bed. (thanks Billy for that info)
She has been cleaned, but she still needs her coat of Liquid Gold.
Star is very, very beautiful, Sandi. :thumbup: :thumbup: You must be very proud of her arrival! :D :D
Thank you Linda. Star was bought sight unseen. Hubby traded a post Civil War bayonet for her. We were greatly blessed in the trade.

Blessed to see you back safely.

Show us your new orphan that followed you home.
Blessings to you my friend,
Sandi
Old 06-10-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Billy;

What are you putting in the coffee?? DH says to stop cuz he doesn't want to see any more new to me machines comes thru the front door. Still have one on reserve that he doesn't know about though. My, what big shoulders you have there. :)

Chris
Next time use the back door he won't know. Then say it followed me home can I keep it pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee? :lol:
I'm sure DH wouldn't think your reply hilarious but I do. Thanks for the laugh and for the idea. Have a great day.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:25 AM

Chris[/quote]

Next time use the back door he won't know. Then say it followed me home can I keep it pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee? :lol:[/quote]

It's time to establish the ground rules. I tell my DH that there's lots of men in this world, but they aren't making these old machines any more.