Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-26-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Oh my! I've spread my VSM germs to my mother. Just got some pics from her of what I am getting for...wait for it...FREE! Thought I'd take a break from work and share 'cause I'm just excited right now. They need some TLC, but that's half the fun. :D

Apparently Mom was telling their new drama instructor about my interest in old sewing machines. They had 2 in the prop closet he offered to her with the caveat that if the needed a sewing machine to use for a prop, I'd loan one back. He'd rather have the space than the machines.

Now I'm going to have to learn all about the Whites. (How do you take this out of the cabinet for traveling??) This one also comes with a box of accessories.

I'll have a twin 99k--it's in the same cabinet as the one I picked up a couple of weeks ago.
You can download a manual for the White if you need one - I have links for them in my pages. I love the Martha Washington Cabinet! I don't have one for a sewing machine, but i have a regular sewing one.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by jljack
Look at this machine!! 1862 Singer Letter A... Now at $685. What a looker!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180698913313
Wow how cool! So how much are you bidding? :mrgreen:
Ha Ha Laugh if you want but I have this one on my watch list! I wish it was in a treadle or the cabinet. If it was I would throw the bank at it without thinking twice. But its going to be fun to find the correct treadle and cabinet for it.

Billy
Old 07-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Wow that cabinet is GONE!!! :shock: Oh well, it's not the cabinet I necessarily need, although it would be nice to find a whole cabinet and Singer irons. But I don't think the brand of irons matter, right? Experts, please let me know if I am right on this. The cabinet would be a problem because of where the hinge attaches, but the irons are universal? Thanks!!
Yes the irons do matter! If they are not for the correct cabinet then the offset will be different for the belt alignment. But if your doing what I did and just mount the treadle under a huge table that you can interchange the machines out then it will not matter.

Bily
Thanks Billy for jumping in here. I need expert opinions here. So, if I can't find a Singer cabinet with irons I like, then my plan was to get any irons and put a flat wooden top on it, cut out a big hole, put a 1"-2" frame on top around the hole with the edge routed to hold the model 66, including cutouts for the hinges, etc. Then cut out a space for the treadle belt to pass through. Would that work?
Yup!!

Billy
Old 07-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Miriam,
OMG! I just looked at your blog. What a project you have taken on! That house needs work and love. It will be fun reading the progress that you make in this endeavor. Looking forward to seeing the end result!

-Monica
It IS overwhelming... We did not anticipate all the stuff the hoarders left in the flooded basement. NO SEWING MACHINES WERE SACRIFICED IN THE FLOOD!!! I should show pictures of the back yard. It is WONDERFUL. We really wanted it for the yard and easy access to my job. You can join as a follower and watch the slow progress. DH is about to take the month of August off for paying work. At the same time I have about 100 hours a week for a couple weeks... no sewing for me.... I might chill out here though.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:37 PM

You can download a manual for the White if you need one - I have links for them in my pages.
Can you please tell me what pages the links for the White manuel are on, as I need one. Kathie
Old 07-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

[quote=Miz Johnny]I had to check it out also, and--well, Miriam wins, hands down. NO WAY is my basement that bad!! Even with our foundation issues, it doesn't come close.
I do think it will be a Cute Little House when it's done, though-

The blue house is cute and has a ton of potential. We have debates over how to finish it off but since it is a long time away it doesn't really matter. There is a web site I just love to browse. It is called Retro Renovation. It is about mid century modest homes which is what ours is. The best part is we will have no debt and since we will have new water heater, furnace, refrigerator, etc it will be energy efficient. It has no insulation right now, but it needs to be rewired so we will be doing that too - basically it is a shell... Our helpers are learning a LOT. I have dubbed the basement the chamber of horrors.

The ugly little cottage is mostly ugly on the INSIDE - it is kind of cute outside - well, the front maybe... Someone stole the siding off the back and DH put on what ever he had... It has severe mold problems, bad lay out, very low ceilings, creepy bathroom, creepy utility room, missing kitchen but major HOLES where it once was and so on plus major ceiling cracks. BUT it has 2 nice garages and a shed on almost an acre - outstanding garden plot. I'm hoping one day to turn the ugly little cottage into a studio, a summer kitchen and a spare bedroom - but it is pretty low priority - the money may not hold out anyway.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Banned

Here is a deal on a Handcrank if someone wants a mystery box!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8284502

Billy
Old 07-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Here is a deal on a Handcrank if someone wants a mystery box!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8284502

Billy
HOLY GUACAMOLE it's in Indianapolis!!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
You can download a manual for the White if you need one - I have links for them in my pages.
Can you please tell me what pages the links for the White manuel are on, as I need one. Kathie
It is on my user pagers under 'White Sewing Machines'. Here is the link for the Electric Family Rotary (I think that's the one you need), I also have links for the FR treadle and the VS treadle. I really needed it to help figure out how to thread the thing. Also the bobbin goes in opposite the way of Singers. (Thread coming off clock-wise instead of counter-clock-wise.) The one for the VS treadle has a lot more information about the attachments. I didn't know where my quilting bar went until I read that one - it wasn't in the manual for my FR treadle!

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...c-book-13-.pdf
Old 07-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

I posted some accessories on the classifieds
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-140478-1.htm#3791959
I do not know what to charge for accessories and such.