Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-27-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Here is a deal on a Handcrank if someone wants a mystery box!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8284502

Billy
Billy how do you know it is a handcrank?
Old 07-27-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Looking for some expert eyes. I'm trying to id the 2 machines in the tiny photo. I've asked the seller to get me the model numbers to verify, but it's taking her a while to get back to me.

I was thinking a 301 in front, or a 400? No clue on the 2-tone in the back. I have been on the lookout for a 301, and if this one and is reasonable, I might have to make another road trip!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/atq/2512926475.html

Thanks!
It does look like a 301. Ask her if it has a handle on top, the 301s do.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I was thinking a 301 in front, or a 400? No clue on the 2-tone in the back. I have been on the lookout for a 301, and if this one and is reasonable, I might have to make another road trip!http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/atq...475.htmlThanks!
Pretty sure the 2-tone is a Japanese 15 clone. Maybe a Dressmaker from the looks but a bigger picture would be so helpful. The front one does look like a 301 to me but never seen a 400 up close and personal so it could be either machine.
Thanks. I've never seen either one up close and personal. :) I think I'm leaning toward it being a 301. The 404 pictures I'm looking at all seem to have a lever near the pillar (maybe to drop the feed?) and are 2-toned. This doesn't seem to have that lever and is solid tan. Well, time to quit obsessing and do something to pay the bills.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by deplaylady

I didn't notice the update - I see no one has bid any higher. I sort of had a guess from looking at the outside - at least I guessed it wasn't a machine that used a knee bar. I am looking for something to turn into a hand crank.
Get a 99 to turn into a handcrank. They are easy to find. I am going to put a HC on my 99.
Y'all are inspiring me! I'm getting a duplicate 99k/cabinet, so this sounds interesting. Is it very difficult to do with the solid wheel? Or would you need to change out the entire wheel?
You can change it out to a spoked wheel (easy), or you can cut a notch into the outside of the solid wheel (more difficult by far). Mine has the spoked wheel (it's a 1928), so I won't have to deal with your problem! :-)
Old 07-27-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady

You guys are passing on the $1,000 German treadle for the cute $75 model?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2516085386.html

WOW!!! :thumbdown: Love the machine, but......that's just ignorance!!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:58 AM

Looking for some expert eyes. I'm trying to id the 2 machines in the tiny photo. I've asked the seller to get me the model numbers to verify, but it's taking her a while to get back to me.

I was thinking a 301 in front, or a 400? No clue on the 2-tone in the back. I have been on the lookout for a 301, and if this one and is reasonable, I might have to make another road trip!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/atq/2512926475.html

Thanks!
Yep, it's a 301.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Here is a deal on a Handcrank if someone wants a mystery box!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8284502

Billy
Billy how do you know it is a handcrank?
It's not. He was guessing from the case, but it turned out to be an electric.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

[quote=shelburn]For PhyllisNM,
The needles for the New Home are in the mail!! Due to the hot weather, it took me longer than usual to visit my LQS. The lady is great! Asked what the machine was, and promptly pulled out a case with drawers with needles for old machines. Wish she had had time to talk. Would have liked to pick her brain.
For everyone else, I love this thread. Can't wait to read it every day.
Wish I could find another treadle machine. Love my New Home 1880's treadle. Am attempting to make a miniquilt on it. Such fun! I am looking for a Singer machine. I have four machines but none of them are Singers. Two are vintage and two are modern (I guess) with plastic cases. I have been bitten by the VB (Vintage Bug) and DH is no help.
He loves fire arms so there is no room for criticism!
I have yard saler friends watching for old machines, but they don't really understand what it is we are looking for.
Thanks to all you people who helped me get the old New Home teadle going. Have become addicted, since I can't trail ride my horse any more. Need another outlet!![/quote

Do you have a preference for a vintage Singer? What do you like so far? Some of us are treadlers and some lean more to electric. Some here have turned the electrics to treadles. What model intrigues you? What do you intend to use it for? Do you just do straight stitch? Do you use the decorative stitches? There are a lot of choices.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:18 PM

Well, Quiltncowgirl and I found a treadle to buy. Here it is

We have to drive to Paso Robles (about 100+ miles) to get it, but wonderful machine!! It's been in this same family since it was new.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232451.jpe   attachment-232452.jpe  
Old 07-27-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Well, Quiltncowgirl and I found a treadle to buy. Here it is

We have to drive to Paso Robles (about 100+ miles) to get it, but wonderful machine!! It's been in this same family since it was new.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Call me happy!!!