Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
It looks like a White FR case. I would try that first.
Originally Posted by emmah
This is a pic of the bobbin being loaded. I hope you can determine the case from this.
zackly what I'm thinkin' I had one on a Wards - looked like that - can't find it... Looked all over..... know I didn't pitch it though.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by emmah
This is a pic of the bobbin being loaded. I hope you can determine the case from this.
I will look in the am. I used to have one, hope I still do.
Tommie
Old 07-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

I know one thing. I need to get an actual shop for my repairs and machine messes. Using the dining room table and the back porch SO don't work for keeping track of the parts and tools or anything else... (no place to eat some days) The sewing room doesn't work at all. I want a shop with a bench and parts storage with some kind of system to locate stuff. Ziploc bags full of unidentified parts is not a good thing. If you notice, I have a blog - we're working on a house to live in. Next door is an ugly little cottage - BUT it has 2 garages. ONE OF THEM IS MINE - ALL MINE. It is divided into two rooms. One for storage and one for a work bench and places for parts - there are cabinets for 2 kitchen in there and some furniture... boxes of siding... dad gum hoarders... I'm thinking of going postal and clearing it out. Does anybody have a system that works? Any suggestions? Do we need to start a topic for repair work shops? I NEED some ideas. Where do you all work on your machines? I do know florescent lights don't work for lighting. I should have some parts taken off an old sewing machine. I can't find them. I can't find one of my screw drivers - a certain one - it probably made off with the bobbin case... My system isn't a system and what ever it is it isn't working - I love working on the machines though - any pointers? Do we need a topic for something like shops?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:11 PM

As of Saturday, July 30th, I will be the owner of a Featherweight. Have pondered getting one for 2 years, have shopped thrift stores, goodwill, craigslist, and garage sales with no success in my price range. But -- I found one this week locally via phone conversation with a very reputable small town sewing repair store about 40 min. from my home. Tomorrow I go to see it --- and I believe I'll buy. It has been serviced, cord replaced, new case (sadly not original), and the owner of the store is giving me extra bobbins and feet. He has a 1 yr. guarantee on the service, and he's going to train me in using it. I'm not the "fix it up yourself" kinda woman -- so am thrilled to find one already newly serviced. Price is $249.00 --- a fair price. I need to go to sleep now so that I can wake up and head to the shop!!
Old 07-29-2011, 06:27 PM

Ringbone in horses is basically debilitating arthritis of the fetlock joint. He has a very hard time maneuvering with high and low ringbone, but he is very stoical and just keeps going.

Nancy[/quote]

Sounds like he needs some good hugs from you. I had a very stoical dog. Nothing slowed her down either. Kathie
Old 07-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by judyjudyjudy
As of Saturday, July 30th, I will be the owner of a Featherweight. Have pondered getting one for 2 years, have shopped thrift stores, goodwill, craigslist, and garage sales with no success in my price range. But -- I found one this week locally via phone conversation with a very reputable small town sewing repair store about 40 min. from my home. Tomorrow I go to see it --- and I believe I'll buy. It has been serviced, cord replaced, new case (sadly not original), and the owner of the store is giving me extra bobbins and feet. He has a 1 yr. guarantee on the service, and he's going to train me in using it. I'm not the "fix it up yourself" kinda woman -- so am thrilled to find one already newly serviced. Price is $249.00 --- a fair price. I need to go to sleep now so that I can wake up and head to the shop!!
I think you did just fine - good price, good machine - not all for that price work the way they should.

I know I have less fear when I'm not very attached to the machine I'm working on. Well, I did once - ruined it a good one too... it's still around - pathetic. We probably all started out not a fix it sort of woman. You know I doubt if all of us started working on a 'good' machine... Some of you just might find some old beater and mess with it just for fun - if it goes you got something if not... well learn what didn't work... You can always take the tension off and see if you can get it back together... dig around in there - it's getting harder and harder to find a repair man. I just encourage people to try - it isn't mandatory though - for some of us it's almost a disease. I bet you catch it by sewing your finger sometime or other... kind of a vaccination or something.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:44 PM

Need some help. Might be loking at a Wheeler and Wilson coffin top treadle on SUnday. Currrent owner does sew but prefers modern to vintage. There are 2 machines and a buunch of attachments and she has no idea goes with what machine. I also have no idea what to look for. She thinks both machines may be great grandmother's machines. Are there any pointers I need to know about a W&W machine and what would I look for regarding attachments?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Need some help. Might be loking at a Wheeler and Wilson coffin top treadle on SUnday. Currrent owner does sew but prefers modern to vintage. There are 2 machines and a buunch of attachments and she has no idea goes with what machine. I also have no idea what to look for. She thinks both machines may be great grandmother's machines. Are there any pointers I need to know about a W&W machine and what would I look for regarding attachments?
what kind of price is it? can you buy both, sort them out later then sell one.... lol
Old 07-29-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
what kind of price is it? can you buy both, sort them out later then sell one.... lol
Enabler. Yes I can buy both. I don't have either of the machines and facing serious lack of space problem plus DH might not be sew happy with 2 new machines.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by lee231
Just picked this up at an auction today. 15-?, serial # AK489114, it's a centennial and the decals are great. Did OK for $5.
Wow Lee, you got a 15-91 for $5! A centennial to boot! Geeze!

Nancy