Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-06-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by greenini
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by greenini
crewsejm, what a cutie machine, but I can see why it might be tough to learn!
Wow!!! Your mom made your baby clothes on that machine??? I'm soooo impressed!!! It's wonderful.
Janice, Ha-ha, it wasn't MY mother who made my baby clothes. One of my favorite mom stories was that she had pinned a dress to hem and then hung it in the closet and proceeded to forget she'd pinned it but not finished it. She wore it to a friend's funeral all pinned up :lol:

If my mother had had to take home ec she would have gotten a big fat F, I learned how to cook at about 10 yrs old out of self preservation so I could eat :shock:

And sewing...not her :!:
You gals both gave me a good laugh this morning!

Nancy
Old 08-06-2011, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Do they even do a lot with Home Ec in schools anymore? I mean the type like I remember, cooking, baking, sewing? In junior HS we had cooking and baking, and the sewing (made quite a few dresses), but but the time I got to HS it was an elective and part of the arts department. It was the era of the open-classroom idea (very short lived idea) where one huge room was broken up by partial walls, work desks and counters. one thing that stands out in my memory was a guy in Home Ec hemming at apron that looked up and laughed at me with my oxy-acetylene torch and goggles - I was in Jewelry and probably melting silver or gold at the time. My DDs both had some Home Ec, just a few weeks of each - they made a pie and for sewing got to pick from a set of kits. Not a lot of imagination there. We had to pick our patterns, materials, notions. My DM was totally down with this stuff, she was a GS leader and a 4H leader, I got to see girls come and sew before I knew how to sew. I'm the youngest girl - 3 older sisters, and at first what they had to sew their 4H projects on was a treadle machine - until the oldest got a portable Durkoff for graduation, and my mom liked so much that she bought one in a cabinet for herself. At one time we did have two treadles at my mom's house, my moms (a Singer) and my Aunts Iva's (a White)- after my mom died I'm not sure what happened to them.
Deplaylady, what great memories! I took Home Ec in high school and got a 'D' because the teacher swore I did not put the zipper in my skirt by myself! She didn't believe me when I told her I had been sewing already for years! My Mom was always making something, which made me want to sew from the time I was very little!

Nancy
Old 08-06-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Here is a 1919 Red Eye we bought at an auction. I haven't cleaned her up yet but she sews a beautiful stitch top and bottom. Of all the treaddles I was able to take right off with her.
Trish I have the same cabinet, but mine has a 127 Sphinx in the cabinet. Mine has a different middle drawer? The Sphinx is pictured on page 469.

Nancy
Old 08-06-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by nickylsf
Addendum: I went back and decided against this Singer. I started to wonder if it was really a Singer, as the decals on the bed looked good but there was no "Singer" decal at all on the arm.

Instead I came home with a very rough W&W head, cabinet and treadle. It is so cute I could not leave it there. It is a Model 8, from 1876. Looking at the manual on ISMACS it appears that my cabinet is missing the drawers.
[/quote]

Wow, Nicky, I love the W&W! That is one I don't have! I can't wait to see it all shined up!

Nancy
Old 08-06-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Everyone DH and I finally finished my sewing room. I have posted pictures here http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-1371-10.htm#3872992. Come and join me for some sewing and hot coffee or tea this winter.
Trish I love the sewing studio! You guys did a great job! I want to come and sew with you!!!!!

Nancy
Old 08-06-2011, 05:14 AM

OK folks, what is a Singer JC665653
Old 08-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Ok all, I got that Hitachi I have been talking about for the last couple weeks.
That's quite the machine! With the harp space, it might be a good one to quilt with... I hope you enjoy it.
This machine does not drop it's feed dogs, at least I can't find a way to do it easily, or I would use it for machine quilting!

Nancy
are the feet screwed on? Can you just remove them?
Old 08-06-2011, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam
It looks to me like an old industrial with a knee lift for the foot. I wonder if it is a knock off of the 241 - does it sit in an oil bath - if so it should have a pan it fits into - cork all the way around... Does it have oil wicks?
Actually it looks a lot like an old Consew. There is a Singer 241 in the pictures of someone repairing the timing http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1426.htm Here's a pic of a Consew - not as old as your machine
http://cgi.ebay.com/Consew-Sewing-Ma...item1e650f1065 one similar in looks...
Miriam, no it does not sit in an oil bath - but I am not sure what you mean by that? It does look similar to the Consew on e-bay, but the top line is completely different. I can't wait to try the machine out, but I had to order the belt by the foot, as the standard belts are all 72"s and this machine needs a belt almost 75"s.

Nancy
If it had an oil bath you would know it. It is a metal piece the machine sits in - it has cork all the way around. You fill it with oil and the machine has a way of sucking it up into the machine and self oiling as you sew. My 241-12 has that. If I didn't feel like death warmed over I'd go shoot a picture - I still have poison ivy pretty good... I'm not getting much done at all. Yesterday my dad brought over some Zanfel and it has helped. This is so massive. It is going to take a lot more Zanfel to get rid of this monster. Then the skin where it was is pretty ragged. But if I remember I'll do a photo shoot one of these days. I still don't have her stitching. She is out on the patio under a tarp. She weighs too much for me to manhandle her about so I have to wait for DH to help. I tried putting her up on CL as is to no avail. I believe she would be a good one for quilting. Take her teeth out so she could FM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
OK folks, what is a Singer JC665653
Looks like it was made in 1948 in Quebec, Canada, but there was no model number on the website. How about a photo?
Old 08-06-2011, 06:18 AM

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/app/2532254668.html
I don't know if anyone would be interested in this ad but some might need such service. I know nothing about it I am not connected in any way to the person placing the add.