Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-11-2011, 08:48 AM

I have loaded pics of three treadles on the pic topic. DH says I have to decide what to cull from the herd. We do have a few, lol. One of these three I shall put on the classifieds, I suppose.
Guess I will take either the WW9 or the Davis VF to NM when I travel there next month.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:52 AM

The dilemma that I have two nights to figure out. My guild is having a sew-in to make cuddle quilts for women's shelter on Saturday. I'm not sure which sewing machine to take.

The easy answer would be to take my original FW, a known entity. But I could get one of the new FWs serviced and cleaned up in the next couple of evenings.

Or I can take my vintage ARCO that fits into my Sew Easy table and has a walking foot so I could be a machine quilter of the group (Straight lines only so far). This is the only machine I had before this shop opened.

Or should I grab one of my other machines and try to get one of my other "portable" singers out and cleaned up and running. I will have to check the electrical cords on them and find one that is safe. Don't think I could get it rewired in time.

Maybe this is motivation enough to get a machine cleaned and running.

See what this addiction leads to! Oh the choices.

Billy, you could stay for a month or more. I have plenty of machines to work on when you are feeling better. Maybe some nice SoCal weather and ocean breezes will help the healing process. The pups and Val are welcome also. :lol:
Old 08-11-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I have been away from the cafe for a few days. Does anyone know what has happened to the wonderful Singer site where you could look up most vintage machines by their serial number to find what they are and when they were commissioned to be built? That same site all looks different now and I couldn't find the usual info I had been so used to locating. Thanks.
Singer changed the site. It was discussed on the Singer Yahoo group but I don't have the new link yet. :(
Old 08-11-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
I have been away from the cafe for a few days. Does anyone know what has happened to the wonderful Singer site where you could look up most vintage machines by their serial number to find what they are and when they were commissioned to be built? That same site all looks different now and I couldn't find the usual info I had been so used to locating. Thanks.
Singer changed the site. It was discussed on the Singer Yahoo group but I don't have the new link yet. :(
Thanks Lisa. Can't understand why the Singer site wouldn't have a link to that valuable portion of info. Oh well, I am not currently looking to buy a vintage machine... which is always subject to change if the right one comes along! :lol: :-D
Old 08-11-2011, 11:12 AM

I went to see the Spartan today. The machine was in great shape. She had no attatchments for it nor the manuel. It just sewed straight and ziz zag. The machine was noisy but I think some oil would take care of that. There was some veneer missing and it looked like some fingernail polish on it. She wanted $90 for it and would not come down. I offered $45
and she said that she would not come down. She was a wheeler and dealer. I left my name and phone number and told her if she could not sell it to give me a call. I do not think that I will hear from her. Kathie
Old 08-11-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I have a 185J that's supposed to arrive on Friday from shopgoodwill.com. I'm hoping that it arrives all in one piece. I can't wait to look up the date and sew on it. Glad to hear it comes apart easily for cleaning.
I am glad someone here got that machine! I had a long argument with myself about bidding on it, but I have my eye on another machine.
Me too. (I'm glad you got it Betty!!!) I'm just up to my eyeballs in poison ivy. This is now the third time this summer. AND I broke my baby toe. AND I have extra work I'm suppose to do.
Good Lord, Woman! What are you doing wrong right now? Poison ivy for the third time (you know you can become super sensitive to that stuff and it will put you in the hospital) and now a broken pinky. One must be more careful of one's body - it has to last you awhile! :roll:[/quote]

I am lost who is it that has posion ivy again..is it Miriam?
Old 08-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Banned

Billy, you could stay for a month or more. I have plenty of machines to work on when you are feeling better. Maybe some nice SoCal weather and ocean breezes will help the healing process. The pups and Val are welcome also. :lol:
I think I will take you up on that offer I could use some SoCal weather after this, and as far as the rest of the family they will welcome the break from me for a while. Val might tell you to keep me though.......

Billy
Old 08-11-2011, 11:32 AM

I have links to them on my user pages - I was really surprised this morning to find them moved! When I found them I copied the links I saved them so I wouldn't loose them again. Here they are:

Singer Machine Serial Numbers

no letter prefix:
http://www.singerco.com/support/mach...umbersNoLetter

single letter prefix:
http://www.singerco.com/support/mach...rsSingleLetter

double letter prefix:
http://www.singerco.com/support/mach...rsDoubleLetter
Old 08-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned

Oh while I am here who was it that was looking for a buttonholer and accessory feet for the low shank Singers? I have them here and in my chemo induced stupor forgot who was wanting them...... :oops:

Billy
Old 08-11-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Oh while I am here who was it that was looking for a buttonholer and accessory feet for the low shank Singers? I have them here and in my chemo induced stupor forgot who was wanting them...... :oops:

Billy
I don't know who was looking for the stuff but hope the stupor passes soon. Those drugs are no fun. :cry: