Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-14-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by johns2ndwife
Just curious here....how old is a vintage machine?
Depends....there are those that think the 90's are Vintage, but if you ask me, it's the 40's! :D
Hi Charlee! Billy has always said anything from the 70's back is vintage for this shop.

Nancy
Old 08-14-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
I love anything miniature, so it only figures that when i saw this i went for it. I also thought i could practice cleaning a "sewing machine", so that i would feel confident before i tackle my 66-1 Red eye. Does anyone know are there replacement parts for them? Thank you, Anamaria
Charlee, have fun on the coast, junkin'. Keep an eye out for those little toy sewing machines they are so cute:)
Anamaria, that is just the cutest little machine!

Nancy
Old 08-14-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi all, I'm vintage , too!:) Anyway the Singer 401 saga continues...Miriam, you were correct, it took patience, and some spray bottle isopropyl alcohol..works wonders but avoid getting it on painted surfaces and the motor.. So now it sews, but the needle is stuck in the far left position. Does anyone know about this machine and possible causes and cures for a stuck left needle bar? Can't do zig zag or any decorative stitches. Or, do I need to take her to the repair man? Problem is, my sewing machine shop locally and the only OSMG I trust closed this month, due to the lack of business due to the economy...I'm so sad about that. Thoughts anyone on the stuck needlebar?
Thanks!!!
The best cure would be to take out the needle bar and the race that has a screw in it and soak it in the alcohol, clean out the hole the race's pin goes in and then put it back together. You would have to time the machine though or it won't sew.

or

The needle bar has a little race with a pin in it - it goes back and forth - side to side - put the machine up on her balance wheel end and then shoot some more alcohol on that little piston while you jiggle it. That area gums up pretty good - that might fix it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will have the machine stand on her end for a while and give the bar a jiggly alcohol bath! I'll keep you all posted on the progress and hopefully some photos soon!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by purplefiend
I surfing Ebay and found this little gem. OMG What were they thinking???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Kenmore-...item3f0c53a69f

Sharon W.
Too hideous for words... and that is the EXACT Kenmore that both my parents, and I, learned to sew on... sad.
My husband is into airplanes, he is a pilot and flies small aircraft, and he would think that is hideous! But - other than that I think his first words would be - the pilot isn't even facing the right way - he's facing away from the propeller! So the 'artist' didn't pay too much attention to details when they were destroying that machine. Besides - it is hideous!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Power Poster

Hi all, I'm vintage , too!:) Anyway the Singer 401 saga continues...Miriam, you were correct, it took patience, and some spray bottle isopropyl alcohol..works wonders but avoid getting it on painted surfaces and the motor.. So now it sews, but the needle is stuck in the far left position. Does anyone know about this machine and possible causes and cures for a stuck left needle bar? Can't do zig zag or any decorative stitches. Or, do I need to take her to the repair man? Problem is, my sewing machine shop locally and the only OSMG I trust closed this month, due to the lack of business due to the economy...I'm so sad about that. Thoughts anyone on the stuck needlebar?
Thanks!!!
The best cure would be to take out the needle bar and the race that has a screw in it and soak it in the alcohol, clean out the hole the race's pin goes in and then put it back together. You would have to time the machine though or it won't sew.

or

The needle bar has a little race with a pin in it - it goes back and forth - side to side - put the machine up on her balance wheel end and then shoot some more alcohol on that little piston while you jiggle it. That area gums up pretty good - that might fix it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will have the machine stand on her end for a while and give the bar a jiggly alcohol bath! I'll keep you all posted on the progress and hopefully some photos soon!
If that isn't enough - take off the cam stack and look nearly under and to the left for another thingy and do the same with the alcohol. Most likely the front end though.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady
Billy - hope you can help me- years ago (more than 20) I bought an old machine that I bought just purely as a display item as I thought it looked cool in it's wood case, which was the bentwood style. I never expected it to work and never checked it out to work. Well now I am interested in the old machines to actually sew on, so today I dug it out and took a look at it. WOW is all I can say - it looks to be a 1911 Singer 66 - the serial number is G0564792 which on Singer website is 1910 but the bobbin bed cover plate says Patented Canada Aug 1, 1911 - so I'm guessing the 1910 is just a start date of these being produced. Mine is electric and does work with a working light. The cord and foot petal is in great shape so I'm guessing the motor was added later and not really production timeline. The bentwood case has a metal box section at the far right side with some ? electric connectors post - I'm not sure what thats all for and I haven't tried to open it up. I was able to stitch with it and it did beautifully but I don't want to do anymore without oiling it. Also can't find a way to do a reverse stitch or vary the length - do you know if you could with this machine or was it just a plain one size, one direction machine? I want to polish it up to start - any suggestions on how to clean all the scroll plating? and make them shine? How can I find an owners manual for oiling and threading?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Pat
Pat, did anyone ever answer your questions?

First you are correct the date on the Singer site is the 'Allotted" date. That is the date the manufacturer was given x amount of numbers to use on the machines in production. It does not necessarily mean your machine was made on that particular date! But, those allotted numbers had to be used before the next series of numbers were used in the same factory. Does that make sense? Also, it was quite common to loose those bobbin slide plates. When that happened a new one was purchased, which could have a patent date different than the date the machine was actually manufactured.

About the 66. The 66 is a great machine and yes it does have a stitch length regulator knob. It is a 'knob' located in the middle of the arm. You turn that knob to lengthen or shorten your stitch. No a 1910, 1911 model 66 does not have a reverse. You have to either turn the stitch regulator all the way down so it stitches in place or turn your work around and stitch back over what you just finished. It is not a big deal once you figure out how to lock your stitches! And, yes you are right thinking the motor was added later! A 1910 machine would have been a treadle or a hand crank originally!

Nancy
Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 PM

Can someone please tell me - is there a short shank and slant shank version of the automatic zig zagger, or is it just one like the hem stitcher with a high and low hole to chose from?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Can someone please tell me - is there a short shank and slant shank version of the automatic zig zagger, or is it just one like the hem stitcher with a high and low hole to chose from?
Must be, I sold one with a 301 - it was with it when I got it.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by annthreecats
I read that anything over 50 years old is vintage.
OMG I'm vintage :roll:
That's why I'm called Vintagemotif. Yup, I'm over 50!! Proud of it too.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I surfing Ebay and found this little gem. OMG What were they thinking???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Kenmore-...item3f0c53a69f

Sharon W.
Haahahaaa!!! I love it! That is the best Kenmore machine I have ever seen. And it comes with Capt. Kenmore. Very colorful! It's a boy machine.